Poll

new body vs fixing rust

buy new body
3 (25%)
fix old
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: New body?  (Read 9725 times)

KERR

• View Profile
Re: New body?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:03 AM »
I think the numbers matching stuff is neat but has turned into pocket book bragging.

Like take the big auction.   69 zl1 for example.  10k original miles full frame off restoration 100% perfect bla bla bla.  Well why the frame off ?    I also like the "auction cars". Nothing has been touched. This is the way it was.  They show a engine shot and the heads still have the coating on them.   How's that work?  Every old car I've had that has been restored or was finished when I got it the manifold turned as soon as you drove it.   You also hear fresh over hall done a lot,   

If I was to buy a car to put up. Yes I would all the papers, original as possible, and matching numbers.   But for the cost of one of those you can have 3 cars to play with...

Take my 67 vette for example.  It was my dads. Beat on every day and many broken parts.  When I got it we went threw the motor.  Then I broke a gear set,  then I exploded a ring gear etc etc.    Now it's a stroker motor, forged pistons m22 gear set, Mc load clutch and replacement ring gear 4:56s etc etc.   Now by the numbers it's still "matching numbers" by the numbers.  Just don't take it apart lol.   

I guess it comes down to what the owner wants to do with the car and that's fine.  But a perfect car to set and look at just doesn't do anything for me,  sorta like my friends with drag only cars.  Well that was fun for 8-9 seconds let's put it back on the trailer and go home.   

It's not matching number cars,  I use all my stuff,  I picked up the wife's Denali in a blizzard.  Black on black 1 mile and hammer down.  Should I have waited. Yea probably.  It's not very shinny and you can't get the wheels clean. Did that come for the salt? Who knows but it's  awd and got me home.  Same deal on the suburan. Three tornados a hurricane and few blizzard, and about 15 hail storms.  It looks like crap but does what I need it to do.  Sunday we went threw a 2 foot deep river and up a atv trail for two miles because the kids 4 wheeler quit,  it's covered in mud. I'm sure there are new dents and tree rash,   But it did it's job