Author Topic: now what... body bolts...  (Read 3732 times)

KERR

• View Profile
now what... body bolts...
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
So i havent posted in a while,  recap...

bought a 69,  car was dead straight...  went for paint ( smurf blue to black)  and well some one has second job as a sculptor,  car was full of bondo, filler, fiberglass etc...     Over the last few months ive been taking the car apart to see what all i need and taking photos along the way for the attorneys.

Well last night we ( kids and i) made it to the front end..   we got the bolts out of the top of the fenders, the noise piece, the under front bumper spoiler thing ( cant thank of the name,   and the two threw the fender into the engine compartment...   take the chrome trim off the wheel arch and BAM... no bolts...    im like there has to be bolts,  my son ( 8 )  nope... so  i go over and look... hes correct no bolts upon first glance..    take a deeper look and some retarded sob has put a patch pannels on the bottom of the fenders.  then the bent the metal around and went OVER the factory bolts... 

The bottom of the fenders look good as well,  sound solid etc,  until you start to take the bolts out,  both of them snapped off on the first turn and a pile of rust came out  :(     So  question is what the heck do we do now...   I was about to the point that the blade of steel got busted out on the big saw zaw,  but the inner finders look new... 

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: now what... body bolts...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
well just to get them off, can you just torch the remains of the bolt out? I have a NOS fender on my truck and the factory nut for the bottom of the fender snapped off of its spot weld. (not a camaro fender of coarse) but I ended up opening the little basket that held it, just enough to pop it out of there and put a new nut in there, and have room to put a wrench on it when tightening it up. I did all this while keeping the fender on. Maybe this will give you some ideas. You have the benefit of once you get the old bolt out of coming up with a better solution with the fenders off. good luck with it
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

KERR

• View Profile
Re: now what... body bolts...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »
I couldn't  find the little torch. I'm assuming my son went and burnt stuff.
I used pb blaster, and most came out.  The one that didn't I just beat out or cut the metal with a saw. 

anything