Author Topic: Reveal Moulding Scuff Mark  (Read 3875 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Reveal Moulding Scuff Mark
« on: July 08, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
My windshield lower reveal moulding has a noticable scuff mark. Is it possible to polish it out? The moulding is the GM original on my 1968 coupe. Were the originals made of stainless steel and polished or chromed? Thanks, Joe.

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Reveal Moulding Scuff Mark
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »
IIRC, they were flash-chromed stainless. You can polish out scratches and imperfections using progressively finer grit, although the polished finish will have a different appearance to the original chrome. How big is the scuffed area?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
My windshield lower reveal moulding has a noticable scuff mark. Is it possible to polish it out? The moulding is the GM original on my 1968 coupe. Were the originals made of stainless steel and polished or chromed? Thanks, Joe.
IIRC, they were flash-chromed stainless. You can polish out scratches and imperfections using progressively finer grit, although the polished finish will have a different appearance to the original chrome. How big is the scuffed area?

Check out James' THREAD, especially what JohnZ has to say about flash chrome.

And make sure you check out the ARTICLE mentioned in the thread.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
 I just removed the entire scuff with everyday chrome polish, something I should have tried before posting my question. Thanks for the replies.