Author Topic: Farewell And The Best For Ed!  (Read 18208 times)

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Farewell And The Best For Ed!
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Ed...Am very sorry to see you go but I can understand your feelings.  Will dearly miss your presence and the knowledge you shared with us.

God speed......

Jerry G.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Farewell And The Best For Ed!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
I too hate to see someone go but I also understand the reasoning.  Take care Ed!!

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
Hate to see you go Ed.    The research phase of the project was the worst for me personally but I stayed with it.  When you are ready to return I am sure the community will be here to welcome you back.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
Thank you for getting my #'s in the data base....was sending them out to you as fast as I could take a pic. Very reassuring on my end, not to mention the one part you caught....there was a mix up. Made it's way into the Camaro parts ,correct one in storage at my Dad's, earmarked for swap meet no less ,whew.  I believe it got mis- labeled when we were building and moving. 17 years ago. Never dawned on me it was incorrect, even after reading ,thanks again, Steve.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
Well I guess Ed left on his own terms....
Who would have thought the post I started concerning senior members and us working together, would result in Ed calling it quits. The purpose of posting it was lets work together getting all the facts.
Whats funny is the last thing he typed was he "has a feeling" my rear end is a re-stamp.....and to go ahead and post pics of my casting numbers "if I really want the answer", then it got locked.

**Edited**
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:15:28 AM by KurtS »
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »
I must have missed something...Ed B?? Ed, sorry to see you go and wish you all the best.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 10:56:08 PM »
Wow, I think someones shooting to be the second person ever banned from the site.  I suggest you drop it, the stamp on your axle is not consistant with others of the time period.  Could be a legitimate reason like the stamp broke at the assembly plant before yours was stamped, or it could have been restamped to match your POP.  Your not helping figure it out, but then I guess its just easier to stir the pot, or put up a smoke screen.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:15:32 PM »
Who would have thought the post I started concerning senior members and us working together, would result in Ed calling it quits. The purpose of posting it was lets work together getting all the facts.
Whats funny is the last thing he typed was he "has a feeling" my rear end is a re-stamp.....and to go ahead and post pics of my casting numbers "if I really want the answer", then it got locked.

I could post a pic of the line worker hand stamping it, and the powers that be would say "re-stamp" because it doesn't fit the limited data that they have so far. My info went from anomalous, and not to be included, to ED identify it as a re-stamp, because he has a feeling. Does anyone else see a problem here?

Pictures can only be requested by the senior group, and when we post them  it is for research, when we ask, then they can't do it because it would be a "re-stamp gallery"
For some reason it seems like the information only flows one way on these posts asking for pictures....

Please DO NOT hijack this thread with more about your rear stamping! I for one was hoping Ed would reconsider as he's been a valuable member both here and on team Camaro.  I personally do not wish to see him go and urge all members to send Ed an email describing their desire and reasons for him to stay active. If we have indeed lost a member, we lost a valuable member and its unfortunate especially when we know some of the reasons.  
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 11:57:57 PM »
I hope he reconsiders as well.
Like I said "hoping we can all work together" but that is now me "stirring the pot" and words to get me banned.  :P ???

In the best interest of the CRG, personal message sent to you Mark. ty

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »

I could post a pic of the line worker hand stamping it, and the powers that be would say "re-stamp" because it doesn't fit the limited data that they have so far. My info went from anomalous, and not to be included, to ED identify it as a re-stamp, because he has a feeling. Does anyone else see a problem here?

Pictures can only be requested by the senior group, and when we post them  it is for research, when we ask, then they can't do it because it would be a "re-stamp gallery"
For some reason it seems like the information only flows one way on these posts asking for pictures....

Please DO NOT hijack this thread with more about your rear stamping! I for one was hoping Ed would reconsider as he's been a valuable member both here and on team Camaro.  I personally do not wish to see him go and urge all members to send Ed an email describing their desire and reasons for him to stay active. If we have indeed lost a member, we lost a valuable member and its unfortunate especially when we know some of the reasons. 

X2 Chick you hit the nail right on the head.
Please Ed, we need your voice!  And to all CRG core members, this is your site.  All the rest of us are guests.  As a guest I thank you for this forum.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 12:26:39 AM »
Wow, I think someones shooting to be the second person ever banned from the site.  I suggest you drop it, the stamp on your axle is not consistant with others of the time period.  Could be a legitimate reason like the stamp broke at the assembly plant before yours was stamped, or it could have been restamped to match your POP.  Your not helping figure it out, but then I guess its just easier to stir the pot, or put up a smoke screen.

Mark, I don't post like I use to, always learn more from reading.   I agree it's time for it to stop and it's gone on longer than I would have let it.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 12:59:12 AM »
No bodys getting banned,  that's sort of a wakeup call we just don't need the animosity spreading from one tread to another.  Now if people want to be contructive and start a new thread about axle stamps in any particular time period, that would help bullit65 confirm his is factory correct, or not that would be a much better use of everyone's time, instead of what's going on now.  Afterall isn't that what the site is supposed to be about, no one here is infallible, all we can do is make the best statements we can based on the info at hand, as time goes on and more info becomes available opinions change.  My axle it  too early (end of April) in this case so I can't start it off.  Lets see some axle stamps and pumpkin casting dates from everyone.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:26:27 AM »
Ed, I'm sorry you have reached that decision, this forum will not be the same without your knowledgeable and considered opinion. I hope that in time you will return, but until then, thank you and take care.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 02:44:06 AM »
I sure have appreciated all Ed's help he has given me personally and what I have read of his posts. He will be greatly missed. Thank you Ed!
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:28 AM »
Why do we have to take it so personal when someone gives their "opinion" as to whether or not something is legit?  I started out on this site quoting Colvin, saying I had a rare DZ block casting # and really thought I had something.  Then it was divulged that it wasn't so rare at all and Colvin kind of jumped the gun.  Info comes and changes things.  At first I thought screw you guys, you don't know what you're talking about.  Then I had a 480 dist. from a 69 DZ engine that was in my 68 and the engine was put in there 35 years ago.  The experts said the 480 was a restamp.  I could try to justify it all day long as being there before anyone would want or need to restamp something,  But the consensous of experts was that it is a restamp, so there is nothing short of me having a video of the dist. being made that is going to change what the experts say, so I have to live with it and am selling it on the basis and price of being a restamp.  Am I happy that this was the outcome? No.  But I have to accept the reality of things or be bitter and lash out.  I would rather not be bitter, so it's a choice of accepting reality.  I do not take it personal.  

Ed I wish you would reconsider.
68Z28

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
Why do we have to take it so personal when someone gives their "opinion" as to whether or not something is legit?  I started out on this site quoting Colvin, saying I had a rare DZ block casting # and really thought I had something.  Then it was divulged that it wasn't so rare at all and Colvin kind of jumped the gun.  Info comes and changes things.  At first I thought screw you guys, you don't know what you're talking about.  Then I had a 480 dist. from a 69 DZ engine that was in my 68 and the engine was put in there 35 years ago.  The experts said the 480 was a restamp.  I could try to justify it all day long as being there before anyone would want or need to restamp something,  But the consensous of experts was that it is a restamp, so there is nothing short of me having a video of the dist. being made that is going to change what the experts say, so I have to live with it and am selling it on the basis and price of being a restamp.  Am I happy that this was the outcome? No.  But I have to accept the reality of things or be bitter and lash out.  I would rather not be bitter, so it's a choice of accepting reality.  I do not take it personal. 

umm,love the site, but 35 years ago nobody was re-stamping, most likely tossed for an Accel dual point . Nothing more than a GM single point distributer. Why do you think these parts are so rare? I would reconsider selling it as such.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 04:24:56 AM »
As a matter of fact, late 80's into early 90's did Super Chevy ,Parts Plus ,Good Guys and Popular Hot Rodding, Muscle Car Nats(drag racing at Norwalk) throw in Auto Rama,  and nooobody cared about an original paint , Ash Gold,numbers match Z. At Hot Rod (Youngstown) I was asked by the staff "when I was going to do something with it?" Put off ? nope. Mothballed the car for the most part, and got into jet skiing.   Re think that distributer 68Zproject.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »
I hope Ed takes a well-deserved break and comes back in a while.
He is a valuable asset on the forum.

Like I said "hoping we can all work together" but that is now me "stirring the pot" and words to get me banned.
You may have said that, but you also posted much more, dragging the axle discussion into a third thread.
The other forum members are clear that it wasn't appropriate.
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
I apologize for muddying the water on this thread for Ed.

Thank you for cleaning up the other posts, and threads

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Why do we have to take it so personal when someone gives their "opinion" as to whether or not something is legit?  I started out on this site quoting Colvin, saying I had a rare DZ block casting # and really thought I had something.  Then it was divulged that it wasn't so rare at all and Colvin kind of jumped the gun.  Info comes and changes things.  At first I thought screw you guys, you don't know what you're talking about.  Then I had a 480 dist. from a 69 DZ engine that was in my 68 and the engine was put in there 35 years ago.  The experts said the 480 was a restamp.  I could try to justify it all day long as being there before anyone would want or need to restamp something,  But the consensous of experts was that it is a restamp, so there is nothing short of me having a video of the dist. being made that is going to change what the experts say, so I have to live with it and am selling it on the basis and price of being a restamp.  Am I happy that this was the outcome? No.  But I have to accept the reality of things or be bitter and lash out.  I would rather not be bitter, so it's a choice of accepting reality.  I do not take it personal. 

when people make money out of a hobby you are fighting a up hill battle to change their mind. just ask me.
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »

X2 , I wish you would reconsider.  You have added a lot of good input here.  I also ran into some input here that didn't agree with what I believed, and still do, to be original parts(seatbelts).  I cleaned them up and used them anyhow, and let the subject drop.  My car is not a "high-dollar" car anyhow, so how important is it?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 01:42:18 AM »
No problem Austin.
The forum needed some edits to get the tone back to where it normally is. :)
Kurt S
CRG

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
I hope Ed takes a brief respite and comes back as a contributor to this site.  Hate to lose his knowledge. 

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
where can I get a "Save ED" tee shirt? :)

I hope Ed returns also

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »

Ed will be back....it's in his blood not to quit, I'm sure.  ;)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
I guess I missed something..again. Wow, how things can change so fast these days. Ed, I'm sure you'll not be very far away and hope your still contributing somehow, somewhere and someway. Good luck!!!
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
I don't know Ed but I would guess his decision is not about quitting, its about distancing himself from dumb stuff or undue stress. Now, its up to us to eliminate those things and await his return. As a user and a fan of this site I realize the CRG and its core owe me nothing. I also realize the opinions handed out on this site carry a lot of weight in the collector car world and can have a lasting impact on how a car or part is perceived, so if I ask... I must respect...like it or not.
Thanks CRG. Thanks to those who wrote and sold books also. Wish I had more to contribute.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
Summation:
Austin started a thread about how he was told that his axle stamp wasn't typical.
Phil (festival) jumped in and just stirred things up. Clem posted too. Ed got frustrated and said he was done.
After Phil posts another attack, he then blamed me for not shutting down the thread.
I banned him. The whole thread was negativity, so I removed it.

Noone is happy to see Ed leave. But PM's are 100% about banning Phil.

Hope we can get back to the cars now.
Kurt S
CRG

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
Kurt...well said and I agree 100% with your actions.

BTW....welcome home.  Hope your year away was eventful and enjoyable.

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
I cant believe how the verbal actions of certain individuals can cause such a predicament, Why Cant we all just get along?

Ed is a MAJOR bonus to this site, I would sincerely Hope he can get past what has transpired and bring his wealth of knowledge back to us.

Kurt  - I Agree 100% also, some of the posts had unnecessary attitude.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 11:50:03 PM »
Ed ,thanks for your contributions to this,I hope you change your mind.Take care....
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

anything