Author Topic: Originally a 6 cyl, now a SS 396 Clone  (Read 4646 times)

1stgenbird

• View Profile
Originally a 6 cyl, now a SS 396 Clone
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:47:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member this forum and happy to have found this site.

There is a 69 SS clone car for sale in my area that I have been looking at.  The VIN decodes as originally being a 6 cylinder car but now has a 396 and a THM400 trans.  The car is in decent condition but needs some cosmetics.  I am trying to find out what issues I might have with a 6 cylinder becoming an 8 cylinder car.  I think the front springs would need to be replaced with heavier duty ones, but someone told me that six cylinders had different wheel lugs, brake line routing, and other things and that 6 cylinder to 8 cylinder clones are not desirable at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

1stgenbird

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Originally a 6 cyl, now a SS 396 Clone
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:07:23 AM »
If it's a true clone your questions would have already been addressed. 6-banger cars had a 5/16" gas line versus the 3/8" for V-8s to begin with, not withstanding the springs and SS trim and everything else. Not to be short, but it sounds like someone is trying to pull a fast one or just doesn't know any better. Ny 2 cents.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:54:31 PM »
Hotrod is right.  Take a look at the rear springs, too.  They should be multi-leaf for a 396. Unless it is a REAL BARGAIN, pass on it and find a better car.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:43:12 AM »
To answer your question, other than the fuel line, the base car is the same.
So it all depends on how good of job they did.
Did they: change axle, change front and rear springs, add disc brakes(assuming it was a drum brake car), etc? If they did it right, it can be hard to tell a clone from a real one.
They could have just installed a BB and drove on. That's just a hillbilly hack then.....
Kurt S
CRG