Author Topic: 68 396 fender emblem position  (Read 5509 times)

Ue

• View Profile
68 396 fender emblem position
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
Hi All,

The front sheet metal on my 68 SS had been replaced (front end crash?) at some time and I'm about to drill the holes for the 396 fender emblems.

I bought the Classic Industries templates "Classic Templates" / "CHQ Reproductions" and when placing over the side marker bezel and lining the template up with "Approx end of fender" and "fender to bottom section", the emblem is less than 1" (20mm) from the edge of the fender. This looks to close to me.

When I check where the D91 stripe (not yet painted) should be as per the AIMs, the emblem is no where near the centre of the stripe. The 396 is much closer to front edge of fender than the stripe edge is.

Can anyone post a picture of a 68 D91 stripe with 396 emblems and/or provide measurements?

Cheers.
Cheers,
Ue.

cook_dw

• View Profile

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: 68 396 fender emblem position
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
To add to this; I have 2 take-offs that are both 68's.  Not sure if they were sbc or bbc but you can see the holes in relation to the D90 & 91 stripes.

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »
Thanks Darrell, great pics. It confirms to me (until proven otherwise) that the Bumble Bee stripe & emblem  are really that close to the front of the fender, matching the Classic Industries emblem templates. From my own mock ups, it looks like the stripe is the same width as the emblems, lining up edge to edge.

I've also learnt that since the LHS emblem has front locator pin further back, many people use the RHS emblem on LHS fender to improve it sitting flush with fender curve because it's first pin is right at the front.

Interesting to see the stripe does not continue to the bottom of the fender.

As the Hockey stripe fender is right hand side, it looks like the emblem sits further back then a bumble bee stripe & emblem (assuming RHS BB emblem with locator pin at front of number)

Long shot, but do you know the build month of the car the Bumble Bee guard came off? Mine is an 11B, before the Hockey stripe became default on SS.

Thanks again for the pics. They are the best "original & close up" I've come across.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:20:57 AM by Ue »
Cheers,
Ue.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:52:22 AM »
Unfortunately I do not know.  These were taken off cars back in the 80's.

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
Emblem to Bumble Bee stripe reference for anyone looking....

Lining up the 396 emblem locator pins to holes on the picture, I can see the badge is same size as width of stripe and centred.
Cheers,
Ue.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
Just to be 100% certain I will take the 396 take-off emblems I have and place them on the fenders and take a few more pics.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »
Ok as promised.

Passenger Side Fender:

Driver Side Fender: