Author Topic: Need help with headliner, sail panels, and visor replacement vendors.  (Read 7620 times)

Leon in Mn.

• View Profile
Well I need to replace my headliner due to age and the thread holding it getting rotten and coming loose in spots.  I've been putting it off too long and decided to finally go for it.  I'm thinking I should replace everything at once (visors, sail panels etc.) to get the colors to match and be done with it.  I will get someone with experience to put them in as I heard they can be a bugger!  What I am asking is if any of you could recommend any vendor that offers a good product that closely matches the originals as far as fit and finish, and fabric.  This is from my 67 396 with the black deluxe interior.  I'm not replacing the carpet or seat covers etc. just what I mentioned.  Is there any other pieces/parts I need to get for the installation?  I'm sure my installer would know too.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just not looking for an inferior interior!  Thanks.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
  Most of the reputable vendors sell the same products. Some--like Rick's--will eat you alive on markup and shipping--shop around. Ground Up and Camaro Central are two vendors I've had good service from. The folks at Camaro Central are especially helpful and courteous. PUI Interiors is a good name at a reasonable price, as is OER but when you're dealing with any aftermarket parts, don't expect perfection.
  Keep in mind that your '67 has Impala leather, not the 68-69 Bedford grain. If you take the old headliner out yourself NUMBER THE LISTING WIRES front to rear. They are all different widths. Also mark the holes on each side that they came out of. Also, bag and tag all screws as to the location they came from. You'll probably need new sail panel clips that attach to the back of the sail panels because they are commonly rusted. You'll probably need new visor supports because your old ones are likely pitted with age. Your installer should have everything else at his shop.
   Hope this helps and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
I'm getting one from Bob Harris ,Camaro Specialties. You will actually speak to him (owner) when you call. Real nice guy ,heavily involved in the hobby and competitive prices.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Leon in Mn.

• View Profile
Thanks for the info.  I will point this out to the installer if it helps him, but I think he has done many.   I was thinking of purchasing the items myself in order to make sure I get the correct ones AND maybe avoid his mark up.  This hobby can get expensive after a while as I'm sure you all know!  Impala leather huh?  That's good to know as their are a few options.  Thanks again.  I will have to post some pictures of it when it's finished. :)

janobyte

• View Profile
Headliner and sail panels $99 from Bob. (almost positive on price) Matter of fact Chuck Grimm ,the guy doing mine, recommended I buy the kit from any reputable dealer. Knows of Camaro Specialities, so I got the ok.Not sure if the rear window needs to be out to ease the installation.

Have not had it done yet, he's a few weeks backed up and I have just been to busy this summer to play with the car.

Sad thing is I have 1 hole the size of a quarter were a mouse got in years ago ,in the rear panel .Other than that it would present as new.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Sad thing is I have 1 hole the size of a quarter were a mouse got in years ago ,in the rear panel .Other than that it would present as new.

I too had a hole above visor from dang mouse. When I pulled it down there was the other 1/2 of the seat stuffing and the reek of urine,yuk! It's hard to know where to stop in this resto process, keeps eating the bucks! Mice,rats and rust...gives whole new meaning to throwing money down a rat hole.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Leon in Mn.

• View Profile
Yes, I too had the same thing.  A mouse hole the size of a quarter that got in there and did some damage.  I'll have to replace all the insulation due to him getting in there messing it up. This was done years ago.  Found out that he must have got in through a hole in the firewall.  Rubber grommet out.  It's in now!   I don't think my installer will have to pull the back window out to install the headliner, at least he didn't mention anything of it.  I will however need to get the bow clips and sail panel clips? as they should be replaced.  Going to order it all from CI. tomorrow as planned.  They don't carry the insulation tho. I see Heartbeat City has those.  I will be taking the old one out.  Do I need to take the rear armrest (panels) off as well to help installation of the sail panels?  Or just the trim work?  Some people talk of a headliner board in there but I don't seem to have one. Nor did the installer mention it.   Just the insulation.  I'll see more of it when I work on it tomorrow.  He said it should take about 4 hrs to put it in right if all goes well.

janobyte

• View Profile
My car is back from paint and glass already out ,my paint guy just made mention it might save a little time on installation with the rear window out. Car went almost 30 years with no mice ,in 97 we built out in the country ,and sure enough had an issue the 1st winter the car was in the new garage >:(

Barn cat in the shop now---no issues ;D  Birds even stopped flying in when all the doors  are open---took one casualty to get the word out I guess, LOL.

Your right ,only way I see it got in was through the firewall ,hole I had drilled for something ??? Has since been filled.

rsr

• View Profile
FYI I had problem with PUI sail panels after installing them the material/glue turned loose form the card board.They sent me more sets  but they done the same thing.Only when outside with the sun warming up things?I even got just the board and material using my glue and that worked for a little while but still came loose?One of the 69 sets I just layed in the back seat of a project body and after a few days they were all bubbled up too!!  Maybe it's just bad luck for me but this was on a 67 & 69 cars I'm restoring over a few month period this year.I got some from another supplier but haven't installed them yet.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
  God bless barn cats. Or shop cats. Or D-Con!   
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior