Author Topic: Outer door window felts  (Read 16156 times)

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
Outer door window felts
« on: October 09, 2006, 08:19:24 PM »
I need opinions on which outer window felts to use on a 69 Coupe. I don't have any originals to compare to so which brands fit best and look similar to the originals? I see there are repro felt type and also rubber ones available.  I know the orignals were felts but what should I do? The car is not really going to be seeing much driving or weather and is completing a frame off resto. I mainly want it to look good without a lot of fitment issues.

John

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
Re: Outer door window felts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:35:33 PM »
I recently used a set of PUI's.  They fit pretty good.  If I remember correctly, the rear 1/4 window felts needed just a small amount of trimming.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:34:29 PM »
Thanks Dave. I looked at a set of the PUI OE style fuzzies yesterday and the ends of the outside round stainless pieces look cut off squared. Do the originals have a tapered look to them? Does anyone have a picture of the originals to show the ends?

John

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:32:37 AM »
I believe that the original bead was rounded off.  I remember a TC member discussing how he had filed them down to look like the originals.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Here's the rear end of an original passenger side outer fuzzy - it's tapered somewhat to round it off, appears to have been done with an abrasive.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »
Thanks JohnZ. Looks like I don't need to work too hard to make it look right.

John

DanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 09:26:28 PM »
My original outer window felts are rounded on the end of the stainless as well...but it looks like it was performed in a concave die of some sort...doesn't look filed to me.

Some people epoxy the stem of an aluminum rivet in the end of the steel tube, then file/buff it round....keeps you from cutting your fingers on the sharp edge of the repo weatherstrips.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »
Years ago during my restoration, I had the same dilemma, use repro vs. NOS.  I bought repros and did not like the way the ends were cut sharp.  I bought NOS felts for my RS 69Z: P/N-7755881 and 7729998 door inner and outer, and 1/4 window LH 7725923, RH 7725935 outers and 7642401 inner felts (I saved the original GM packages but did not mark exactly what was what so I may be wrong on what is inner vs. outer part numbers).    Here are pics of NOS door and 1/4 window felts.

Jim Stubbings, owner of Heartbeat City, 586-226-8811, www.heartbeatcity.com, has a large inventory of NOS parts and may have a set of NOS felts.

I don’t recall if all felts were the same.  Did the standard and deluxe interiors option cars receive the same felts with the stainless trim on both interior and exterior felts?

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 02:01:03 AM »
I am just now putting my car back together after a long time in paint jail. I am needing more info of the outer rubber ends of the original window felts to try and make my PUI's look right. Looks like the rubber is slightly trimmed at an angle on these. John Z and or Dave if you could show more pics from the side or top view I would be most appreciative. I still have not found an original reference car around me to look at.

John

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
I am at this same spot with my reassembly process. I notice from the photo's posted by Dave69x33 the felts on the door pannel (inside) have a different bead at the top than the one on the outside. It is wider and flater. The PUI's (the ones they call original) have the same bead on both. The cheaper felts (nonoriginal style) have a wider flatter bead on top. Would these be better to use on the inside? It would mean buying both sets and using half of each. What is the consensus of opinions?
Sam

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »
Here are four photos of the rear of the original outer fuzzies on my 02D '69:

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
Thanks a million for the pics JohnZ. One last question on these. My door outers stop at the front of the door about an inch and a half. Is that correct?

John

JohnSSL78

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
Sam, I went through that too. The labeling on the packaging is not correct. The correct PUI set is the OEM style and it includes the correct outers with round bead and fuzzies and the inners with the flat bead and rubber strip.

John

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
That's the set I bought from Ground-Up Restorations, but my inners have a round bead with no rubber. I'll have to get a hold of PUI. Good thing I saw this post before I installed them.
Thks.:
Sam

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
Thanks a million for the pics JohnZ. One last question on these. My door outers stop at the front of the door about an inch and a half. Is that correct?

John

The front of my outers end about 5/8"-3/4" from the front of the surface on door where they mount.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG