Author Topic: Do they make clear AC/Heater Control lenses without lettering?  (Read 3512 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
I am wondering if it is possible to get an AC/heater control lens with no lettering at all.  I doubt it, but figured I would ask and see if maybe there is a way to get one.  I mean, just grab the lens BEFORE it goes to the lettering phase of the process and ship it out.  The reason is for my 69, I had custom-made brushed stainless plates made and have installed them where you would typically see the wood grain at the headlight/wiper section, and the radio plate.  I also had the same brushed silver plate made to fit the AC control, and had custom lettering etched into it.  I then painted the metal dash at the ashtray and glovebox area the same metallic pearl silver as the outside of my car, and installed the "Oh Crap" handle over a custome black anodized plate with the "Camaro" lettering etched.  It looks awesome. 

However, the AC control without a clear lens, does not get any lighting at night, and I would like to install a lens over it for the lighting effect.  However, they all have lettering and my custom etched lettering looks much nicer.  So, if amyone knows of a way to find an unlettered AC control lens, I would be thrilled.  A long shot, but thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Steve 

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Do they make clear AC/Heater Control lenses without lettering?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:53:53 AM »
Use a piece of plexiglass and make your own.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
I couldn't make a straight line with a ruler, and I am sure I could never cut the slots even close to correct or nice looking.  Any ideas who I could look to have this made?  Not even sure who I would contact. 

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:06:20 PM »
I couldn't make a straight line with a ruler, and I am sure I could never cut the slots even close to correct or nice looking.  Any ideas who I could look to have this made?  Not even sure who I would contact. 

http://www.tapplastics.com/

Paul

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
Might check a machine shop and see what they would charge.

Conquest396

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
You could get one with the lettering and sand it down till the letters are gone, then go with finer and finer grit , then polish with liquid abrasives. I would start with 400(I am impatient hehe) to 600 wet and go from there, and stop at 1500-2000, then go liquid. Going over the brushed piece, I would imagine if you have any small scratches they will not be seen once installed unless they are over the letters and the letters are dark

Kudos for going the extra mile and doing something custom!
1969 51 51 729 12A A/C PW D80

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:11:04 AM »
I knew posting it here would come up with a solution.  I took a lens, 1000 grit wet sanded it, and buffed it out from there.  Came out perfect.  Now, how do I get the light colored.  If I am correct, it looks like I am supposed to color the angle part of the lens, and the lens will glow that color.  I changed the green plastic in the gauge cluster to blue, so that should be all I need to do for this lens.

Thanks for the help.  It worked great.

anything