Author Topic: Lacquer question  (Read 2455 times)

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
Lacquer question
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
Howdy all. Got a paint question about my darlin's LeMans Blue lacquer. I seem to have acquired several scratches, along with a few bad chips (down to metal >:(). It lives in the garage under a good cover, and I've put a good coat of wax on the chips, but I badly need to cover those chips with paint and seal the metal, so can anything else be used to touch it up besides lacquer?? I've had zero luck (other than bad) finding any lacquer touch up paint anywhere. What about acrylic urethane? Then, of course, there's the issue of primer to cover the bare metal?

Y'all take care,
Mike.
69 plain jane unrestored (but painted once) coupe, LeMans Blue, 86,264 miles, 327/210; PG; PS; A/C; Tinted glass. Original owner.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Lacquer question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »
You can use urethane BC followed by clear. TCP Global sells lacquer but I don't buy there so minimum qty is unknown. I can still buy lacquer here.
I have extra LeMans Blue from a job you can have for the price of postage. I'll just do a pour off into a touch up bottle. The same can be done with primer unless you have some. Your local bodyshop with a mixing system can mix a tenth of a pint too; if you know one that would do you the favor. Jobbers have a 1/2 pint minimum.

Is you paint original and if not is it cleared? Don't over buff the area after touch up if uncleared or you could screw up the metallic.

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
Re: Lacquer question
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Howdy Sauron327. Can't thank you enuff for this HUGE gift!! ;D ;D Unfortunately, I have no connections whatsoever with any jobbers or paint shops any more. I'll need both paint and primer. How do we go about this? Would you prefer to do this by PM or email?

This paint is not original (15 years old), and does have clear - can't remember what the brand is though.

Thanks again,
Mike.
69 plain jane unrestored (but painted once) coupe, LeMans Blue, 86,264 miles, 327/210; PG; PS; A/C; Tinted glass. Original owner.