Author Topic: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z  (Read 45889 times)

69 Zee

• View Profile
What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
Hello all,
I have a chance to buy a true barn find, a true 69 RS Z.
Here's what I do know.. I just drove to see this car in literally a barn.  
It's all original and was last driven and tag in '75.  Still has the license plate hanging on it.  A non "X" code Z
Trim tag is 69 cortez with 719 red custom interior.  Build is 08B Sept '68.  Had the flat hood, dual exhaust hanger plate, RS tail panel (removed the light) with factory cut outs,  front disc, 5-3/4 Pitman arm (measured), proportioning valve, 4 sp center console w/o gauges, no tach, and the complete original RS lights and system, the BO 0827G1 rear also..a non posi 373. Also still has all the RS & Z28 badges with the original GM p/ns on them.
Everything that's a sign of a true Z except there's no motor or transmission.
Has solid frame rails, inner/outer wheel wells and rockers..basically like the rest it would need a complete restoration.
So knowing that it's a true RS Z early sept build without motor or transmissions, whats a ball park value ?

Thanks for any help
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »

A friend purchased a fathom green black int black top real Z no motor trans for 15k recently. 
I would kick an extra 5-10 for Silver over Red and RS.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 06:25:29 PM »
I would definitely have Jerry Mc come to verify also since there's no other original papers.  But it's a true RS Z for sure.  The interior is all there also but the only thing salvageable would probably be the seats. So knowing that a complete restore is in line for all new metal and interior.. under 10k would be a steal ?
I'll be doing the restore myself on my jig.  I just didn't want to over pay for a Z without having a motor or trans.

Thanks
Darrell
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
No help on value, but silver with red would be tits! Make it look right and have fun with it.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Trying to move fast as I'm close to leaving a deposit. 
Darrell

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
Using my first gen calculator, I come up with $19,693.02

Paul

jack92584

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
I'm going to guess its this car http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28-1969-Camaro-RS-Z-28-Project-Car-/121358494508?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c4187ab2c&item=121358494508&pt=US_Cars_Trucks . If I'm right I think I would ask what your intentions are. If you plan to restore it for a profit then you would probably need to get it for free because without the original engine and trans the cost to restore it is likely going to exceed the finished value. Having said that it wouldnt surprise me to see someone pay 15k for it. Neat color combo.
69 Z28 / Hugger Orange /  Deluxe Houndstooth  / M21 / 4:10 Posi / GM of Canada documented

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Yes under 10k would be a good deal for the car you describe.
That being said...  If it is the car in the above auction, it is not in as good of condition as you described, the tops of the fenders are rusted away in the Ebay auction pics. IF the tops are that bad the whole unibody structure is QUESTIONABLE AT BEST, you need a bore scope and time to inspect the car EXTENSIVELY.

Red interior is going to be difficult to get original pieces, try to save the door panels and dash pad if at all possible.
I know a guy who bought a low mile 69 L65 4spd Survivor so he could remove the complete Red interior for his RED RED RS/Z.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 07:41:31 PM »
Yes this is the car.  I'm 30 minutes away and was just there for 2 hours going over the car and crawling all around and under.  As I stated above..will need complete restoration in and out.  Reason why I'm asking for opinions.  My plan is strictly for me and me only.  A restoration project hobby, in my spare time that I don't mind taking 5+ yrs to complete.

Believe it or not the firewall is complete and solid except one small fist size area on the passenger side where it meets the floor and trans tunnel..easy fix.  Will need of course a complete floor pan as one can flintstone it now..lol.  The trunk pan is solid on the upper portion were it laps up against the rear floor pan and the shock towers along with both inner and outer wheel wells.  The bottom of the trunk is gone from rust and inner tail pan is rusty as well.  You can reach from the trunk area and get up and around the wheel wells to see that they're solid.  The rear RS panel has 2 rusty areas as well, 1 each on each side were it meets the qrt panels.  Qtrs, doors, fenders...blah blah will all need replaced.  Roof panel is solid.

But in general that was my concern..is $9500 to much for a non motor and trans true RS Z that has a rare color combo of Cortez with Red interior.  I have no problem spending what it takes but I also don't wanna spend 80K when I can spend less on a numbers Z

Thanks
Darrell

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
The auction has 5 more day to go and the serious bidders will use Auction Sniper or Bidnapper in the last few seconds to bid.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:42:15 PM by VINCE Z28 »
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
Did you check behind the upper rear seat on the passenger side for an old crayon X3 code? You will probably need a real good light and a rag and a little soapy cleaner. In the picture it looks like the rear glass and seat are out so with a little luck and if isn't to rusty in that area you might be able to see it.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
The auction has 5 more day to go and the seious bidders will use Auction Sniper or Bidnapper in the last few secions to bid. S
But if someone wants it now. They can get it for the $9500.  He will remove from ebay for a deposit of $500, I just got off the phone with him again for the 3rd time.  Tried getting for $8500 and told him I'll give it to him in cash in 30 minutes.  A good guy, but said "No way"  He'll let it rot away before he takes less than $9500.  When I was there over the 2 hours he actually took 3 calls in reference to it.
I think I'll hold off,  I know in the long run that without a motor and trans I'll always feel like somethings is missing.  And for the money I'll sink into it, I can find a numbers Z out there in time.
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 10:00:07 PM »
I was all over and under that car.  Hell it's so jammed in this place that I literally got on a blanket and slid on water and crap..lol from under the rear just to get to the driver side rear wheel well just to look at the dual exhaust hanger strap that's welded to the frame rail.  I'm also guessing since some of the early Z's had no "X" code and this was built as a 08B date that there wasn't any crayon markings as well,  I checked and didn't see anything.  But there's no doubt that this is a true RS Z.. no doubt !  Ashame there's no motor and tranny.  :(
Darrell

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
An early Norwood car could have the crayon X code behind the back seat. It looks pretty rusty and yes missing the original engine and trans is a bummer but I really like that color combo.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Kind of an interesting story as to how the current owner which is the 2nd owner got it.
He's a collector of the amphibious cars.  He was in central Fla about 8 yrs ago, came across a "water meter reader" guy and asked.. "you ever come across any old cars sitting in others backyard"?  The meter reader actually gave him directions to where this Camaro was sitting for years.  As he got closer to the car he noticed it was a RS (saw the hidden lights) then got closer and saw the Z badges.  The current owner (middle aged guy) said he still never really believed it to be a real Z until he started reading JM's Z book a few yrs ago.  The original owner was a black gentleman who bought it new when he got home from serving in Vietnam. drove it until he blew the engine in 1975, then parked it in his sisters backyard.  Supposedly the Trans was pulled also and put into the 1st owners buddies '68 Camaro, which was somewhere also in central Fla.  Block and Trans could still be around somewhere in central Fla.  The current owner told me he found some pictures of the original owner with the car new under the rear seat along with some small metal plate with numbers on it.  I was thinking the POP,  but he seems to know what the POP is and said that that wasn't what he had found.  So I don't know what he would be referring to.  

Anyway, thought it was a cool story
Darrell

anything