Author Topic: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z  (Read 45891 times)

69 Zee

• View Profile
Re: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
An early Norwood car could have the crayon X code behind the back seat. It looks pretty rusty and yes missing the original engine and trans is a bummer but I really like that color combo.
I'm with you there.  The color combo has gotta be RARE as most were Silver on black.   The main reason why I had to drive up to look at it.  Interesting to say the least.  Also on the roof was the drive shaft and what I'm guessing was the original chrome air breather cover. It was in pretty good shape and it looked to have part of the "302" decal intact.   I was able to make out part of the 3 and the 0.

Oh btw..The original owner had spray painted it a darkish blue..yeah go figure.  In many of the area's you can scratch the blue paint off the silver.  The underneath of the trunk lid still looks new with the cortez silver .. crazy !
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »
VINCE Z28 Has an inspiring story of chasing down a drivetrain that you should read, here, on the site. With the car staying in the same area its whole life and only two owners, it may not be as hard to locate, at least as many searches go (difficult and deadends). Finding the drivetrain(born with) would be a game changer. Good luck and proceed with caution.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »
Using my first gen calculator, I come up with $19,693.02

Paul
Hey Paul you must of grabbed the wrong calculator.  I'd didn't say grab the "one of a kind calculator" ..lol
Darrell
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »
VINCE Z28 Has an inspiring story of chasing down a drivetrain that you should read, here, on the site. With the car staying in the same area its whole life and only two owners, it may not be as hard to locate, at least as many searches go (difficult and deadends). Finding the drivetrain(born with) would be a game changer. Good luck and proceed with caution.
Yeah Vince, I've pretty much wrote it off.  The more I started to weigh things I don't believe it to be a smart monetary move.  Though not to build and flip, it's purely for myself as it's been my dream car.  But I'm not about to get caught up in the "it's a Z" bug.  No drive-train was a HUGE turn off.  I wanted to make sure this wasn't some sleeper stowed away.     
Darrell

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
Hey Paul you must of grabbed the wrong calculator.  I'd didn't say grab the "one of a kind calculator" ..lol

Well, now that I've seen photos of the car and have input the current parameters, the calculator comes up with $1969.30!   :D

Paul

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:31 PM »
Although you say several times that there is no question this is a real RS Z/28, once that car is properly restored, and without original documentation or matching numbers drivetrain, you may well be the only person who believes it. Wouldn't bother some people, but you need to ask yourself if that matters to you, particularly after the amount it will cost to restore properly (even doing it yourself). Nicely optioned car for sure!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »
Hey Paul you must of grabbed the wrong calculator.  I'd didn't say grab the "one of a kind calculator" ..lol

Well, now that I've seen photos of the car and have input the current parameters, the calculator comes up with $1969.30!   :D

Paul
LOL  now thats funny

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »
Its easy to get excited about something when its right in front of you and you have an opportunity. But, it takes some discipline to walk away when it doesn't make sense. Good for you. I like that color combo too.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Its easy to get excited about something when its right in front of you and you have an opportunity. But, it takes some discipline to walk away when it doesn't make sense. Good for you. I like that color combo too.
Yeah I agree.  I will say it was very cool to snoop around it for several hrs and see something untouched since '75 (wow..only 6-7 yrs after built) and how it really rolled off the Norwood line.  Seeing the overspray and all, heck even the frame rails were silver and solid.

and to ZLP955,  yeah it would bother me to sink more $$ than it'd be worth.  But whoever buys should definitely have Jerry come to verify/certify that it's the real deal.  Cause once you start cutting away..you now have a RS tagged as a Z  :(
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:34 AM »

Well, now that I've seen photos of the car and have input the current parameters, the calculator comes up with $1969.30!   :D

Paul
LOL  now thats funny
Dag gone it Paul ..lol  I'm about to take away your Camaro card.  You gotta put away that Abacus, you'd be better off using your hands and feet ..lol
Darrell

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 12:48:08 AM »
and to ZLP955,  yeah it would bother me to sink more $$ than it'd be worth.

Maybe you should get a car that is completed already as it is next to impossible not to get "upside down" when doing a resto...especially the more you learn about a model, the more you will not be satisfied with the status quo, meaning what your average car guy calls a restoration will not be adequate to you, an enthusiast (I hope), as you learn more and demand more.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
and to ZLP955,  yeah it would bother me to sink more $$ than it'd be worth.

Maybe you should get a car that is completed already as it is next to impossible not to get "upside down" when doing a resto...especially the more you learn about a model, the more you will not be satisfied with the status quo, meaning what your average car guy calls a restoration will not be adequate to you, an enthusiast (I hope), as you learn more and demand more.
Yeah that's the route I'm gonna take.  I've been educating myself just over a year now..and man have I learned a ton.  I truly think I read something every day in reference to these 1st gens.  I started off wanting just a X11 or X44.  Then that research guided me toward a Pace or a Z. And that's where I'm at now.  Though I do have the garage, tool and ability to rebuild one, I also money smart..lol, so I think.  If rebuilding one only puts me upside down a few thousand then I'm not that worried about that.  But 10-20K ..ugh Not happening here !  Now on the down side.. I'm anal (Virgo) and meticulous. So I'll be picking a resto apart also I'm sure.
I just joined this site, lurked for a few months and good to see others so helpful.
Darrell

jack92584

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 01:16:04 AM »
ST 69 112437      NOR109427
TR      719                    69    69
08B

69 Zee..If you have the vin you might want to post it here for future searches. With RS and the color combo seems to me this car is a candidate to do the magic morph into a numbers matching car.
69 Z28 / Hugger Orange /  Deluxe Houndstooth  / M21 / 4:10 Posi / GM of Canada documented

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
ST 69 112437      NOR109427
TR      719                    69    69
08B

69 Zee..If you have the vin you might want to post it here for future searches. With RS and the color combo seems to me this car is a candidate to do the magic morph into a numbers matching car.
I was actually thinking the same.  I was planning to call him tomorrow and see if he would allow me to post it.  I also know he has someone coming up from the Miami area at 7am to look at it also.  But if I can get it, I will definitely post it tomorrow...fingers crossed !

Update:  I just hung up with the seller, an awesome guy.  He's going to call me tomorrow morning with the VIN so that I can post it.  I explained the situation that this car will show up in about 2 years from some Classic car restoration seller as a RARE all numbers matching RS Z.  He agreed for the protection of the 1st gen world.. awesome !!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:26:16 AM by 69 Zee »
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Ok .. Here's the VIN, He was kind enough to send me a pic as well.  Also note as per my conversation with the current (2nd) owner,  Jerry Mc has never seen this car.  Jerry was called and asked several questions about it several years ago but the owner never hired Jerry to look at it..again, this was exactly what the owner relayed to me in person.

Hopefully some day the ORIGINAL drive train can be found and reunited with this baby, I just hope this post doesn't miraculously turn up a restamp out there for the new owner to get suckered into buying.  I guess it's a no win situation huh   :-\

124379N507816
Darrell