Author Topic: Muncie Rebuild  (Read 4610 times)

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
Muncie Rebuild
« on: August 05, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I am taking my original Muncie into a trans shop to have it rebuilt. I have pulled the tran, but wanted to know what I should be asking when I take it in. Any specifics I should request, talk to the tech about, etc. when I take it in?
It locked up on me while driving and I couldn't get it to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Had to get it towed, then when I got it home and was under it playing with the linkage I came lose and would shift again. While under there I noticed that the two sections weren't lined up and the back section of the tran was twisted about 1/4" from the front. Didn't think that was right so pulled the tran and taking it in, if anything just to know it's been rebuilt and in good shape, cleaned up, etc.
Anyway, any info. from the more intelligent and experienced crowd on this forum would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's a M21 4 speed out of a 1968 camaro, #s matching to the car. Thanks.
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Muncie Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
It can't be twisted. Try taking another pic where you think it's twisted.

Also take a pic of the front of the trans in the area below the input shaft so we can see what the cluster pin looks like relative to the front of the case.

It should be checked over fully. Most common things to replace are synchronizers, sliders and forks.  But it might only need synchronizers.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »
The most important thing would not have them mess with the numbers.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 02:01:29 AM »
Doesn't sound like there's a trans issue but a shifter adjustment issue.
Kurt S
CRG

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:17:46 AM »
Does the shifter shaft say Muncie on it or Hurst? If it is Muncie you just have the dreaded 'Muncie shifter Lockup' and a very common problem with that type of shifter and linkage..  Switching over to a Hurst Competition Plus shifter will cure the problem - but if you're worried about originality any Muncie can be adjusted and/or rebuilt to improve their action and eliminate the locking up problems (at least for a while)..
I too would like to see pictures of where you feel the tailshaft or whatever in misaligned as I don't think it is at possible without it coming completely apart or leaking all over the place..

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »
Doesn't sound like there's a trans issue but a shifter adjustment issue.
I agree. I'm going through this now. If I shift hard in high RPMs, my Hurst shifter will get stuck going from 2nd to 3rd. I have to get under the car to manually move the shift lever and then it will shift fine. I'm sure mine is a fine tuning issue. I set it up with the Hurst alignment dowel/plastic rod. I think if I shorten the throw for 2nd slightly, it will stop jamming.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »
Read THIS THREAD and rebuild the shifter.

Then, if you still want to shorten the throw, read THIS.

Ed

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'll give them a read. In the mean time, when I said throw, I meant give the adjuster nut a twist. Not shortening the shifter handle.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:02 PM »

Ed

Ed

Thanks Ed. I'll give them a read. In the mean time, when I said throw, I meant give the adjuster nut a twist. Not shortening the shifter handle.
I gave the adjuster a twist last night. At first it ended up being the wrong way. It made it jam in 2nd on me twice driving easy. I went back to initial and twisted it once the other way and walla, all fixed thankfully. The shifter was just having to reach too far to go into 2nd.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!