Author Topic: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z  (Read 45883 times)

69 Zee

• View Profile
What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
Hello all,
I have a chance to buy a true barn find, a true 69 RS Z.
Here's what I do know.. I just drove to see this car in literally a barn.  
It's all original and was last driven and tag in '75.  Still has the license plate hanging on it.  A non "X" code Z
Trim tag is 69 cortez with 719 red custom interior.  Build is 08B Sept '68.  Had the flat hood, dual exhaust hanger plate, RS tail panel (removed the light) with factory cut outs,  front disc, 5-3/4 Pitman arm (measured), proportioning valve, 4 sp center console w/o gauges, no tach, and the complete original RS lights and system, the BO 0827G1 rear also..a non posi 373. Also still has all the RS & Z28 badges with the original GM p/ns on them.
Everything that's a sign of a true Z except there's no motor or transmission.
Has solid frame rails, inner/outer wheel wells and rockers..basically like the rest it would need a complete restoration.
So knowing that it's a true RS Z early sept build without motor or transmissions, whats a ball park value ?

Thanks for any help
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: What's it worth, untouched Cortez silver 69 RS Z
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »

A friend purchased a fathom green black int black top real Z no motor trans for 15k recently. 
I would kick an extra 5-10 for Silver over Red and RS.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 06:25:29 PM »
I would definitely have Jerry Mc come to verify also since there's no other original papers.  But it's a true RS Z for sure.  The interior is all there also but the only thing salvageable would probably be the seats. So knowing that a complete restore is in line for all new metal and interior.. under 10k would be a steal ?
I'll be doing the restore myself on my jig.  I just didn't want to over pay for a Z without having a motor or trans.

Thanks
Darrell
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
No help on value, but silver with red would be tits! Make it look right and have fun with it.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Trying to move fast as I'm close to leaving a deposit. 
Darrell

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
Using my first gen calculator, I come up with $19,693.02

Paul

jack92584

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
I'm going to guess its this car http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28-1969-Camaro-RS-Z-28-Project-Car-/121358494508?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c4187ab2c&item=121358494508&pt=US_Cars_Trucks . If I'm right I think I would ask what your intentions are. If you plan to restore it for a profit then you would probably need to get it for free because without the original engine and trans the cost to restore it is likely going to exceed the finished value. Having said that it wouldnt surprise me to see someone pay 15k for it. Neat color combo.
69 Z28 / Hugger Orange /  Deluxe Houndstooth  / M21 / 4:10 Posi / GM of Canada documented

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Yes under 10k would be a good deal for the car you describe.
That being said...  If it is the car in the above auction, it is not in as good of condition as you described, the tops of the fenders are rusted away in the Ebay auction pics. IF the tops are that bad the whole unibody structure is QUESTIONABLE AT BEST, you need a bore scope and time to inspect the car EXTENSIVELY.

Red interior is going to be difficult to get original pieces, try to save the door panels and dash pad if at all possible.
I know a guy who bought a low mile 69 L65 4spd Survivor so he could remove the complete Red interior for his RED RED RS/Z.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 07:41:31 PM »
Yes this is the car.  I'm 30 minutes away and was just there for 2 hours going over the car and crawling all around and under.  As I stated above..will need complete restoration in and out.  Reason why I'm asking for opinions.  My plan is strictly for me and me only.  A restoration project hobby, in my spare time that I don't mind taking 5+ yrs to complete.

Believe it or not the firewall is complete and solid except one small fist size area on the passenger side where it meets the floor and trans tunnel..easy fix.  Will need of course a complete floor pan as one can flintstone it now..lol.  The trunk pan is solid on the upper portion were it laps up against the rear floor pan and the shock towers along with both inner and outer wheel wells.  The bottom of the trunk is gone from rust and inner tail pan is rusty as well.  You can reach from the trunk area and get up and around the wheel wells to see that they're solid.  The rear RS panel has 2 rusty areas as well, 1 each on each side were it meets the qrt panels.  Qtrs, doors, fenders...blah blah will all need replaced.  Roof panel is solid.

But in general that was my concern..is $9500 to much for a non motor and trans true RS Z that has a rare color combo of Cortez with Red interior.  I have no problem spending what it takes but I also don't wanna spend 80K when I can spend less on a numbers Z

Thanks
Darrell

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
The auction has 5 more day to go and the serious bidders will use Auction Sniper or Bidnapper in the last few seconds to bid.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:42:15 PM by VINCE Z28 »
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
Did you check behind the upper rear seat on the passenger side for an old crayon X3 code? You will probably need a real good light and a rag and a little soapy cleaner. In the picture it looks like the rear glass and seat are out so with a little luck and if isn't to rusty in that area you might be able to see it.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
The auction has 5 more day to go and the seious bidders will use Auction Sniper or Bidnapper in the last few secions to bid. S
But if someone wants it now. They can get it for the $9500.  He will remove from ebay for a deposit of $500, I just got off the phone with him again for the 3rd time.  Tried getting for $8500 and told him I'll give it to him in cash in 30 minutes.  A good guy, but said "No way"  He'll let it rot away before he takes less than $9500.  When I was there over the 2 hours he actually took 3 calls in reference to it.
I think I'll hold off,  I know in the long run that without a motor and trans I'll always feel like somethings is missing.  And for the money I'll sink into it, I can find a numbers Z out there in time.
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 10:00:07 PM »
I was all over and under that car.  Hell it's so jammed in this place that I literally got on a blanket and slid on water and crap..lol from under the rear just to get to the driver side rear wheel well just to look at the dual exhaust hanger strap that's welded to the frame rail.  I'm also guessing since some of the early Z's had no "X" code and this was built as a 08B date that there wasn't any crayon markings as well,  I checked and didn't see anything.  But there's no doubt that this is a true RS Z.. no doubt !  Ashame there's no motor and tranny.  :(
Darrell

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
An early Norwood car could have the crayon X code behind the back seat. It looks pretty rusty and yes missing the original engine and trans is a bummer but I really like that color combo.

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Kind of an interesting story as to how the current owner which is the 2nd owner got it.
He's a collector of the amphibious cars.  He was in central Fla about 8 yrs ago, came across a "water meter reader" guy and asked.. "you ever come across any old cars sitting in others backyard"?  The meter reader actually gave him directions to where this Camaro was sitting for years.  As he got closer to the car he noticed it was a RS (saw the hidden lights) then got closer and saw the Z badges.  The current owner (middle aged guy) said he still never really believed it to be a real Z until he started reading JM's Z book a few yrs ago.  The original owner was a black gentleman who bought it new when he got home from serving in Vietnam. drove it until he blew the engine in 1975, then parked it in his sisters backyard.  Supposedly the Trans was pulled also and put into the 1st owners buddies '68 Camaro, which was somewhere also in central Fla.  Block and Trans could still be around somewhere in central Fla.  The current owner told me he found some pictures of the original owner with the car new under the rear seat along with some small metal plate with numbers on it.  I was thinking the POP,  but he seems to know what the POP is and said that that wasn't what he had found.  So I don't know what he would be referring to.  

Anyway, thought it was a cool story
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
An early Norwood car could have the crayon X code behind the back seat. It looks pretty rusty and yes missing the original engine and trans is a bummer but I really like that color combo.
I'm with you there.  The color combo has gotta be RARE as most were Silver on black.   The main reason why I had to drive up to look at it.  Interesting to say the least.  Also on the roof was the drive shaft and what I'm guessing was the original chrome air breather cover. It was in pretty good shape and it looked to have part of the "302" decal intact.   I was able to make out part of the 3 and the 0.

Oh btw..The original owner had spray painted it a darkish blue..yeah go figure.  In many of the area's you can scratch the blue paint off the silver.  The underneath of the trunk lid still looks new with the cortez silver .. crazy !
Darrell

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »
VINCE Z28 Has an inspiring story of chasing down a drivetrain that you should read, here, on the site. With the car staying in the same area its whole life and only two owners, it may not be as hard to locate, at least as many searches go (difficult and deadends). Finding the drivetrain(born with) would be a game changer. Good luck and proceed with caution.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »

Paul
Hey Paul you must of grabbed the wrong calculator.  I'd didn't say grab the "one of a kind calculator" ..lol
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »
VINCE Z28 Has an inspiring story of chasing down a drivetrain that you should read, here, on the site. With the car staying in the same area its whole life and only two owners, it may not be as hard to locate, at least as many searches go (difficult and deadends). Finding the drivetrain(born with) would be a game changer. Good luck and proceed with caution.
Yeah Vince, I've pretty much wrote it off.  The more I started to weigh things I don't believe it to be a smart monetary move.  Though not to build and flip, it's purely for myself as it's been my dream car.  But I'm not about to get caught up in the "it's a Z" bug.  No drive-train was a HUGE turn off.  I wanted to make sure this wasn't some sleeper stowed away.     
Darrell

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
Hey Paul you must of grabbed the wrong calculator.  I'd didn't say grab the "one of a kind calculator" ..lol

Well, now that I've seen photos of the car and have input the current parameters, the calculator comes up with $1969.30!   :D

Paul

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:31 PM »
Although you say several times that there is no question this is a real RS Z/28, once that car is properly restored, and without original documentation or matching numbers drivetrain, you may well be the only person who believes it. Wouldn't bother some people, but you need to ask yourself if that matters to you, particularly after the amount it will cost to restore properly (even doing it yourself). Nicely optioned car for sure!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »
Hey Paul you must of grabbed the wrong calculator.  I'd didn't say grab the "one of a kind calculator" ..lol

Well, now that I've seen photos of the car and have input the current parameters, the calculator comes up with $1969.30!   :D

Paul
LOL  now thats funny

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »
Its easy to get excited about something when its right in front of you and you have an opportunity. But, it takes some discipline to walk away when it doesn't make sense. Good for you. I like that color combo too.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Its easy to get excited about something when its right in front of you and you have an opportunity. But, it takes some discipline to walk away when it doesn't make sense. Good for you. I like that color combo too.
Yeah I agree.  I will say it was very cool to snoop around it for several hrs and see something untouched since '75 (wow..only 6-7 yrs after built) and how it really rolled off the Norwood line.  Seeing the overspray and all, heck even the frame rails were silver and solid.

and to ZLP955,  yeah it would bother me to sink more $$ than it'd be worth.  But whoever buys should definitely have Jerry come to verify/certify that it's the real deal.  Cause once you start cutting away..you now have a RS tagged as a Z  :(
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:34 AM »

Well, now that I've seen photos of the car and have input the current parameters, the calculator comes up with $1969.30!   :D

Paul
LOL  now thats funny
Dag gone it Paul ..lol  I'm about to take away your Camaro card.  You gotta put away that Abacus, you'd be better off using your hands and feet ..lol
Darrell

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 12:48:08 AM »
and to ZLP955,  yeah it would bother me to sink more $$ than it'd be worth.

Maybe you should get a car that is completed already as it is next to impossible not to get "upside down" when doing a resto...especially the more you learn about a model, the more you will not be satisfied with the status quo, meaning what your average car guy calls a restoration will not be adequate to you, an enthusiast (I hope), as you learn more and demand more.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
and to ZLP955,  yeah it would bother me to sink more $$ than it'd be worth.

Maybe you should get a car that is completed already as it is next to impossible not to get "upside down" when doing a resto...especially the more you learn about a model, the more you will not be satisfied with the status quo, meaning what your average car guy calls a restoration will not be adequate to you, an enthusiast (I hope), as you learn more and demand more.
Yeah that's the route I'm gonna take.  I've been educating myself just over a year now..and man have I learned a ton.  I truly think I read something every day in reference to these 1st gens.  I started off wanting just a X11 or X44.  Then that research guided me toward a Pace or a Z. And that's where I'm at now.  Though I do have the garage, tool and ability to rebuild one, I also money smart..lol, so I think.  If rebuilding one only puts me upside down a few thousand then I'm not that worried about that.  But 10-20K ..ugh Not happening here !  Now on the down side.. I'm anal (Virgo) and meticulous. So I'll be picking a resto apart also I'm sure.
I just joined this site, lurked for a few months and good to see others so helpful.
Darrell

jack92584

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 01:16:04 AM »
ST 69 112437      NOR109427
TR      719                    69    69
08B

69 Zee..If you have the vin you might want to post it here for future searches. With RS and the color combo seems to me this car is a candidate to do the magic morph into a numbers matching car.
69 Z28 / Hugger Orange /  Deluxe Houndstooth  / M21 / 4:10 Posi / GM of Canada documented

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
ST 69 112437      NOR109427
TR      719                    69    69
08B

69 Zee..If you have the vin you might want to post it here for future searches. With RS and the color combo seems to me this car is a candidate to do the magic morph into a numbers matching car.
I was actually thinking the same.  I was planning to call him tomorrow and see if he would allow me to post it.  I also know he has someone coming up from the Miami area at 7am to look at it also.  But if I can get it, I will definitely post it tomorrow...fingers crossed !

Update:  I just hung up with the seller, an awesome guy.  He's going to call me tomorrow morning with the VIN so that I can post it.  I explained the situation that this car will show up in about 2 years from some Classic car restoration seller as a RARE all numbers matching RS Z.  He agreed for the protection of the 1st gen world.. awesome !!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:26:16 AM by 69 Zee »
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Ok .. Here's the VIN, He was kind enough to send me a pic as well.  Also note as per my conversation with the current (2nd) owner,  Jerry Mc has never seen this car.  Jerry was called and asked several questions about it several years ago but the owner never hired Jerry to look at it..again, this was exactly what the owner relayed to me in person.

Hopefully some day the ORIGINAL drive train can be found and reunited with this baby, I just hope this post doesn't miraculously turn up a restamp out there for the new owner to get suckered into buying.  I guess it's a no win situation huh   :-\

124379N507816
Darrell

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »
So I looked at the auction, and noticed a couple of things different from my 69 RS/Z; Mine's a 10B (1968 build) car, so a month later than this one. No RS emblem on my grille, so maybe someone added that to this car? My steering wheel is also different. I have an RS emblem on my steering wheel. Mine has the wood grain insert as well. Should this one have the RS emblem on the steering wheel? I see the the bright pedal trim, so it's got the special interior group trim I believe.
Jimmy V.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
To me, a person with a parts car would be the only person who come out of this one. Prefferably some with a body shop who,s guys get slack occasionally. A reasonable # would be fair for someone who might track the engine and doc,s.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
So I looked at the auction, and noticed a couple of things different from my 69 RS/Z; Mine's a 10B (1968 build) car, so a month later than this one. No RS emblem on my grille, so maybe someone added that to this car? My steering wheel is also different. I have an RS emblem on my steering wheel. Mine has the wood grain insert as well. Should this one have the RS emblem on the steering wheel? I see the the bright pedal trim, so it's got the special interior group trim I believe.
Oh that's a good obsevation !  does anyone know if there are others out there with both emblems on the grille.  I did see the back side from inside the engine compartment and I saw the GM p/n's on the backs.
Darrell

cam69aro

• 38,000 mile Jerry MacNeish certified z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
i looked in Jerry`s 4th edition book and he has 2 RS z`s pictured and neither one has the RS emblem in the grill. not saying it`s wrong to have the emblem but looks like it was added IMO.
Eldon W 1969 z28 Black with born with driveline X77 38,000 miles-sold
2016 z06/z07 Corvette Black

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 04:21:28 PM »
i looked in Jerry`s 4th edition book and he has 2 RS z`s pictured and neither one has the RS emblem in the grill. not saying it`s wrong to have the emblem but looks like it was added IMO.
Car sold !  I know a guy was coming up from the Miami area to look at it.. he must have bought it.
On the RS emblem.  If it was added it must of been added when the car was pretty new, within it being parked in '75.  You could tell it was aged and pitted equally to the rest of the car.
Darrell

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
Maybe the guy who bought it is the one who has that TV show. Can't think of the name of the show, but he's a character, and his wife's a well endowed blonde. One of those soap opera car shows where they wheel and deal cars, fix up, and supposedly make money.
Jimmy V.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 04:11:48 AM »
Ted 'used car salesman'...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 03:57:04 AM »
Trim tag is 69 cortez with 719 red custom interior.  Build is 08B Sept '68. Had.... proportioning valve
Which proportioning valve? The one under the booster?

Btw, it's 718, red standard. :)
Kurt S
CRG

camaro jock

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
South Beach Classics

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
The Z/28 emblem would override the R/S emblem. Chevy wouldn't put two emblems on the car. What would they do on the rear body panel?
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
The Z/28 emblem would override the R/S emblem. Chevy wouldn't put two emblems on the car. What would they do on the rear body panel?
We CRGers know how it is supposed to be, but what about the guys building them back then. This may have been the first Z or, at least, Z/RS built in 69! Maybe there was some confusion or no clarity at the start of production and it got both emblems. Is that possible? Who knows if that is even the original grille. I am just throwing out an idea that perhaps early in production, some anomalies may have occured until assemblies were clarified by supervision. I could see how it could be possible to leave the plant with both emblems myself. Others have a thought? JohnZ? Ed?
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »

Oct 68 RS/Z rear emblem
Jimmy V.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
The only emblem on a R/S Z that wouldnt be "Z/28" would be "rally-sport" on the sides of the fenders.  Normally where the Camaro script would be.  Grille front edge of fenders and tail panel are "Z/28"

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
We CRGers know how it is supposed to be, but what about the guys building them back then. This may have been the first Z or, at least, Z/RS built in 69! Maybe there was some confusion or no clarity at the start of production and it got both emblems. Is that possible? Who knows if that is even the original grille. I am just throwing out an idea that perhaps early in production, some anomalies may have occured until assemblies were clarified by supervision. I could see how it could be possible to leave the plant with both emblems myself. Others have a thought? JohnZ? Ed?

Anything is possible, but two emblems on the grille would stick out like a sore thumb and probably wouldn't make it out of the plant. There were only two possible rear panel emblems - the Bowtie, and the Z/28, both of which had the same pre-pierced pin/hole pattern.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »
The only emblem on a R/S Z that wouldnt be "Z/28" would be "rally-sport" on the sides of the fenders.  Normally where the Camaro script would be.  Grille front edge of fenders and tail panel are "Z/28"

That's how mine is.
Jimmy V.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »

Anything is possible, but two emblems on the grille would stick out like a sore thumb and probably wouldn't make it out of the plant. There were only two possible rear panel emblems - the Bowtie, and the Z/28, both of which had the same pre-pierced pin/hole pattern.

I thought there was also an RS rear panel emblem on rally sports that were neither SS or Z/28?
Jimmy V.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
.  sorry read it wrong
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

camaro jock

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
Yes if no Z/28 or SS has RS emblem only on front and rear

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2014, 01:52:04 AM »
Looks like the person who just bought it is a flipper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251558724442
Buy It Now $23,500.........
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »

I like the "spoiler delete" comment..

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »
Well I hope it's not a member here, but they have removed the RS grille badge in the new ebay ad pics.
Tim in Australia.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2014, 03:37:14 AM »
It looks like this new seller knows what he is doing. The way he has gotten the car out in the open, more showable, pictures and a much better description, He might make a little money.

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2014, 03:44:46 AM »
It looks like this new seller knows what he is doing. The way he has gotten the car out in the open, more showable, pictures and a much better description, He might make a little money.
If you note his feedback . >:( >:( >:(
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »
If you note his feedback . >:( >:( >:(
Yeah I didn't check that.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2014, 04:24:38 AM »

Indeed. The gentleman has sold a couple of '69 Camaros in the last couple of months/year, but this is his biggest price to date. I like the "15 minute conversation" with Jerry MacNeish concerning the car, plus his direction to have Jerry come document the car after purchase. If only it had some documentation other than parts, he might get somewhere. Knowing today's market and some misinformed buyers, he still might get somewhere.

Not with my money - even as a "flat hood spoiler delete" rare car.

His one negative feedback rating came from an auction in 2013, a dispute over a Chevrolet Silverado truck descriptive condition.

Regards
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2014, 04:35:16 AM »
I had a really good feeling this was where the car was heading..to be flipped specially with the rare color combo and the early production date !  He'll get 15K-18K for sure.  Not bad, a 6-8K profit to load-and-go !  
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2014, 04:37:58 AM »
Trim tag is 69 cortez with 719 red custom interior.  Build is 08B Sept '68. Had.... proportioning valve
Which proportioning valve? The one under the booster?

Btw, it's 718, red standard. :)
Red deluxe ...red standard, never the less a rare color combo and early production..Boom !!  Already relisted on ebay and he'll make bank
Darrell

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2014, 04:50:27 AM »

Indeed. The gentleman has sold a couple of '69 Camaros in the last couple of months/year, but this is his biggest price to date. I like the "15 minute conversation" with Jerry MacNeish concerning the car, plus his direction to have Jerry come document the car after purchase. If only it had some documentation other than parts, he might get somewhere. Knowing today's market and some misinformed buyers, he still might get somewhere.

His one negative feedback rating came from an auction in 2013, a dispute over a Chevrolet Silverado truck descriptive condition.

Regards
[/quote

Regards
The funny thing is that he probably had no clue to who Jerry Mc is ...lol, All that info and book came from the previous owner. 
Darrell

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
I had a really good feeling this was where the car was heading..to be flipped specially with the rare color combo and the early production date !  He'll get 15K-18K for sure.  Not bad, a 6-8K profit to load-and-go ! 
Just my opinion but I don't think he will get that much for it. No original drive train, major rust issues, needs everything, early non X coded car. Yes, unique color combo. He might make a couple thousand after all of his expenses but again I could be wrong. Have been before :)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2014, 10:15:04 AM »
I had a really good feeling this was where the car was heading..to be flipped specially with the rare color combo and the early production date !  He'll get 15K-18K for sure.  Not bad, a 6-8K profit to load-and-go ! 
Just my opinion but I don't think he will get that much for it. No original drive train, major rust issues, needs everything, early non X coded car. Yes, unique color combo. He might make a couple thousand after all of his expenses but again I could be wrong. Have been before :)
X2  But it will be interesting to see how it goes........Or does not go.......
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
Ben, the ebay seller, likes to use the word 'rare'. A lot.
Kurt S
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »
Didn't sell, now relisted with a Buy It Now of $16,000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251569347790
Tim in Australia.

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
I must be missing something here . I own a body shop and have restored  many camaros and have a few of my own. I also own a 69 RS Z flat hood no spoiler . Any body that pays more than 5K  for that car is nuts

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
What's Jerry suppose to write ? For some reason it sort of irks me seeing people throwing names out there in descriptions that really have no relevance to the particular car being sold. What's next, " viewed by many on CRG ! "

Always curious to see what they go for ,I guess doesn't make mine any cheaper, all things considered.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »
What's Jerry suppose to write ? For some reason it sort of irks me seeing people throwing names out there in descriptions that really have no relevance to the particular car being sold. What's next, " viewed by many on CRG ! "

Always curious to see what they go for ,I guess doesn't make mine any cheaper, all things considered.

Jano your cracking me up   :D.... or "many comments made about my car on the CRG"... who knows what guys will to the description to add a perceived value to thier car.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 03:50:56 AM »
 At $12,000. now, a long way from the $23,000. he was first dreaming of. I no longer see a buy it now or a reserve.
Also I notice that the first seller stated "Selling a REAL 69 RS Z-28 project car that I picked up 8 years ago in central Florida from the original owner which had sat in his backyard since he blew the motor in 1975"
The new sellers "barn find" description, "
THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING SINCE 1975 WHICH MEANS IT HAS NOT BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR 39 YEARS, THE OWNER JUST LEFT THE CAR AT HIS BARN IN LEESBURG FLORIDA AND LEFT TO THE U.S MILITARY.

Typical flipper/car salesman garbage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251569347790?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_8479wt_1154

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
Sold for $12K  If he paid the $9500. that the first seller wanted plus expenses he couldn't have made more than a grand or two profit if that.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »
Assume the winning bidder pulled out, as it's relisted again with a start bid of $10k....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251584708010
Tim in Australia.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
Sold July 17 2014, 1 bid of $10,000.
No feedback left by the buyer as yet......
Tim in Australia.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
Digging up an old thread, car is for sale again on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-RS-Z28-/152190076892
Located: New Paris, Ohio
Seller: l891969
Pretty honest and upfront description:
1969 Camaro RS Z28. Very rare color combo of code 69 cortez silver with 718 red interior. Let me start off by saying this is one of the rustiest cars I've seen but it's a real RS Z. When seeing this car in person the question isn't whether it's a real RS Z, the question is how much will it cost to restore. I purchased it off eBay 2 years ago for 10k. Payed $1000 to ship and purchased a date coded 4 bolt main block for it.  All I have with the car is the bare block, which is date coded but NOT a dz.  Nothing else.  No trans either. The original 12 bolt is still under the car
  The story I heard was the original engine and Trans was pulled in the mid 70s, along with the flat hood and radiator, and then the car was left out to pasture so to speak. It was described to me to be much more solid than what it is. This car has rust in places I've not seen one rust before. Amazingly though, almost most all other items were left on the car. The original 12 bolt 3.73 rear is under it. Seats and console still in the car. Z28 only steering arm. Most, but not all RS stuff. Original disc brake setup. It appears to have one crappy re spray years ago of blue but it looks like they didn't even sand the original paint down because it coming thru all over the car including the original stripes.
I have a clear title and mileage shows only 51k. I am selling exempt due to the fact it is not complete or have an engine in it. It had a Florida 1975 plate on it which I'm guessing is the last time it was on the road. Car does roll and steer for shipping.
Plan on giving this car a complete and total restoration. You may be able to save a few items here and there but I'm selling it as EVERY SINGLE piece and panel needs replaced. I'm not trying to scare bidders away I just want to be more honest than the guy that sold it to me. If possible, the best thing to do is look at it in person. I hope that someone does build this car because it will be a beauty if taken back original.
Tim in Australia.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 12:56:22 PM »
The salty Florida air wasn't too kind to this one.  I think a 3rd person has now realized the cost of the extensive restoration this one would need, forsale again.

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »
Wow! At what point do you just sell off the few decent parts and let mother nature finish what she started with the rest of it.

John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »
I'd say now  ;D   There is nothing there but a rolling body, and not much of that either. Considering you can buy a nice number matching car cheaper than the cost of restoring this rolling shell, it's going to be a tough sale.  By the time you're done with that one there would be nothing left original but a vin number.  Sadly,  sometimes people let these things sit too long and go too far.

I wouldn't be surprised if that tag winds up on another body

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Well maybe the best thing for this car is a re-body?

Lets say the firewall and a couple other small areas was the only thing you could save, and then replaced everything else, would it really be worth more that way? (than re-body)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
Same guy owned the late 10 10 car that was just on ebay. He told me this car was worse and I wasn't sure that was possible. I didn't see it when I was there. How can Florida car be rotten underneath more than a salted ohio car! I looked at a red z in Fort Meyers that was sold new in Miami 4 years ago. It was worse than my burgundy car but nothing like the silver one
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »
Same guy owned the late 10 10 car that was just on ebay. He told me this car was worse and I wasn't sure that was possible. I didn't see it when I was there. How can Florida car be rotten underneath more than a salted ohio car! I looked at a red z in Fort Meyers that was sold new in Miami 4 years ago. It was worse than my burgundy car but nothing like the silver one

It's the salty air.  Ocean waters coming in from rains etc....  and we all know it rains a lot in Florida, not to mention it's extremely humid there, worse than Ohio.
Same thing happens in all your ocean bordering towns.  California for instance.  If you live anywhere within 100 miles of the ocean the cars are subject to salty rain water when storms move in, even the moist winds that blow in can be destructive over time.   I looked at many cars in the San Fran area that had major rust issues.  But if you go inland to say.....Sacramento...the cars were virtually rust free.   

Another thing to consider, being Florida, as long as this car has been sitting it could have been subject to one of the many floods/hurricanes that Florida gets covering the car in salt water.  I'd bet you'll find rust virtually everywhere in this car.  I generally avoid buying cars in Florida and stick more inland in salt free, snow free areas.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Well maybe the best thing for this car is a re-body?

Lets say the firewall and a couple other small areas was the only thing you could save, and then replaced everything else, would it really be worth more that way? (than re-body)

No difference IMO.  If you had to replace that much sheetmetal then just rebody and save yourself in the long run..  Im sure Ill get bashed for my for my logic..  Oh well.

Ocean = salt water.   ;D

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2016, 01:46:51 AM »
Well, it finished up on ebay for $6700.  The winning bidder was a 0 feedback person, so for the sellers sake I hope it was a "real" bid.

John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
My condolences to the seller.  :-[
Jimmy V.

ZLP955

• View Profile
Tim in Australia.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »
No reserve..  it's now at $4250, but aside from the rear end..  How many other parts would actually be usable even with a restoration?? 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
That's a pretty expensive rearend, lol.  I think I need a tetanus shot just looking at it  ;D

I wouldn't touch the rest of the car with a 10 foot pole.  You might grab the subframe and suspension, maybe some RS parts and seat frames, glass.  But like was mentioned before this car is likely going to be a candidate for a complete rebody because you are going to find rot everywhere in that thing sitting decades in salty air that would be ridiculously expensive to repair.

Honestly for what few parts you could salvage it's just not worth the money or the trouble to haul it away.