Author Topic: 1st gen camaro shop recommendations?  (Read 5227 times)

• View Profile
1st gen camaro shop recommendations?
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:44:59 AM »
Ok so I have come to the conclusion that if I would like to enjoy my '67 at some point in the next 10 years, I'm gonna hafta pay someone to do the metal work.  ;D

It's gonna for sure need quarters, trunk pan, tail panel, and probably a bunch more but I want it right....does anyone have a good shop recommendation? I'm in Southern Arizona...was considering trying AMD installation center in Georgia, and I'm willing to drive, but a little closer to home would be nice. California maybe? Anyone have any ideas?

Please help!! I'm super nervous about taking it to the local paint/body place with little or no experience with these cars.

DT

• View Profile
Re: 1st gen camaro shop recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
This place has a very good reputation.  I never used them so I can't actually comment on experience. http://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=103
Donny

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
I know someone who had to have work redone by Graverobbers and I saw the work. They did a collision cut on the quarters instead of replacing entire panels. Quarters were installed over a rotten roof skin and rotten driprails. Molding pins were welded on wrong and moldings would never have fit correctly. The Goodmark doors and fenders they supplied were awful and were tossed. Goodmark quarters were removed and a new roof skin, driprails, 2 quarters and tailpanel were replaced with AMD tin.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the input!!!

I do like the "pricing structure" of both grave robbers and AMD install center....I know each job is a little different but you can at least get halfway/ballpark idea of what the final pricing might be.

Only downside (at least for me) is that they are 2000 mi away :'(

Round trip transport cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 and I'm thinking that would be money better spent on the job itself.

I've seen a couple in California and one in Phoenix just hitting the internet...anyone have any good experiences on the west coast?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the input!!!

I do like the "pricing structure" of both grave robbers and AMD install center....I know each job is a little different but you can at least get halfway/ballpark idea of what the final pricing might be.

Only downside (at least for me) is that they are 2000 mi away :'(

Round trip transport cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 and I'm thinking that would be money better spent on the job itself.

I've seen a couple in California and one in Phoenix just hitting the internet...anyone have any good experiences on the west coast?

There is no way anyone can give some type of price unless the car has been taken down to bare metal and a complete inspection and then still there can be many differences in bottom line cost due to labor hours, i.e. had to modify a repro fender or modify to have a proper gap, etc., etc.. Ball park values if given normally have a huge range from top to bottom and if not, I'd be concerned. The example given by Scott is exactly what can happen and I've heard & seen first hand too many stories & cars that have been at more than one shop. It can be a nightmare!  PM coming your way!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:30 PM »
I do this for a living and can tell you those are base prices for basic panel replacement. All costs increase at an hourly rate to achieve proper gaps and make panel corrections. Like Chick said, a true evaluation cannot be provided until the car is down to bare metal.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:38:44 PM »
I do this for a living and can tell you those are base prices for basic panel replacement. All costs increase at an hourly rate to achieve proper gaps and make panel corrections. Like Chick said, a true evaluation cannot be provided until the car is down to bare metal.

Sauron,

Do you have your own business?  If yes, where are you located?

Paul

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 09:34:27 PM »
Yes Paul, I'm in CT.

anything