CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 12:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105841 Posts in 12352 Topics by 4762 Members
Latest Member: HarryQ
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  All Print
Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 57299 times)
Swede70

View Profile Email
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »

Thanks everyone for the kind notice,

Consistent with protecting the lower extremities of any would be scale racing driver, I felt I had to replace the cast iron bell housing with a proper scale scattershield. Research revealed a Lakewood scattershield was employed, whereas a web search unearthed images that could be consulted to reproduce much of the exterior contour of the same.  In particular, an image was found (and seen below it is) that allowed for careful replication of the outline of the mounting flange to the engine block proper.  Some final shaping is required where the clutch is actuated for this detail still seems a bit heavy, but far from a terrible start.  Fine attachment hardware to come then...

Also seen below is the rather strange homebrewed dry sump system oil pan employed by Team Trans/Action in '71.  A stock pump was employed, but so too an additional pump driven off of the flywheel hidden out of sight.  The stock wet sump was reduced in volume reflecting experiments made in 1970 by Titus/Godsall Racing with 180 degree headers that required certain clearance below for joining the pipes from alternate cylinder banks, whereas indeed upon first inspection the 'short sump' is a bit startling to peruse.  The oil reservoir was hidden within the firewall, whereas I suspect the whole operation of the same would have been kept secret but for the SCCA's decision to allow the use of dry sump systems looking into the 1971 season.  I've hacked down my standard wet sump in the hope of recreating what again is seen in the photo I've included.

Lastly, an interior bulkhead formerly created from sheet plastic has been replaced with an aluminum panel reflecting what material was actually employed in 1:1.  In addition to shrinking the overall dimensions of the home brewed seat the team fabricated for use in this application, I have sufficient confidence in my use of sheet aluminum to rebuild it in metal - so, a coming attraction of a sort.  Harness pick up points are seen on the rear package shelf, hence the odd appearance of hardware so-sited.  Kind thanks for your attention.

Mike K.

...the abbreviated wet sump in 1:1, with a tiny glimpse of the scattershield also spied.

...Lakewood scattershield 1:1 reference employed to reproduce the mounting flange outline in particular.

...rear three-quarter view of the new scattershield.  Note clutch fork opening as well as the starter motor bubble or bump.

...side view depicting abbreviated wet sump.

...bottom view, reflecting plastic plug work, the addition of a tiny harmonic balancer as well as further perspective afforded with regards to the sump modifications.  Note too efforts to clean up the transmission prior to casting the same.  Most parts on view here will also be employed upon my forthcoming Jerry Titus 1970 Trans-Am Firebird.

...the replacement rear bulkhead is seen.  Across the length of the passenger's side floor is witnessed what is intended to be a fiberglass rust repair overlay, with the two diagonally set holes intended as access points for the hardware that holds the exhaust dumps in place situated just below.  The overlay is soon to be covered with Tamiya hobby tape with the intent of lending the panel a bit of needed texture.  Lastly, the rectangular cut reflects what was likely a thermos mount, although evidence of what might have been placed here is effectively nonexistent.

Thanks...

M.K.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:00:08 AM by Swede70 » Logged
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »

Mike, that oil pan is very odd looking but certainly makes sense if used previously with 180 degree headers. Thanks for including the pic of the pan on the actual car and your recreation looks perfect. You are really paying attention to the smallest of details and that will pay dividends with the end result. Nicely done!

Jon Mello
CRG
Swede70

View Profile Email
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »

Greetings and thanks for the lasting kind notice,

I had failed to note over the course of weeks that interference encountered for fit between the front half of the roll cage was in fact attributable to interference between the transmission and a too-shallow transmission hump as meagerly reproduced on the Sun Star interior floor casting.  A brief attempt to mate a 1:18 ERTL '70 1/2 Camaro transmission and drive shaft tunnel to the Sun Star casting for removal of its aforementioned transmission and drive shaft floor hump led nowhere, hence the reluctant decision was made to scratch build the floor pan as viewed from above.  If the original tool yielded such detail as manifest as nuanced and accurate contour I'd not replace it soon, although in point of fact what was provided isn't much more than a flat plate.  Although dejected to forced to employ it and puzzled if you will as to what can be done to add some character to this flat thing, there seemed very little reason to clutch to what wasn't working. 

Other factors influence the decision.  The engine and transmission assembly is set back about an inch from standard on the 1:1 topic, while the transmission overrides the transmission crossmember.  Especially as viewed with the hood open, the whole engine and transmission is nearly level as installed and in modest contrast to the usual dip from front to rear.  Given that this racing vehicle is substantially lowered, the differential is higher too, while less angularity between it and the tailshaft of the transmission is of course welcomed.   Yes - it seems they knew what they were doing!  Small matters of detail that may be noted are slightly repositioned hood art (to be photographed and kept in reserve for guidance as to placement post paint application and polish), as well as a front track reduction and recycled GMP Trans-Am tires sans lettering given any decal application will surely be ruined for handling at this stage and point.  Yes - it goes on...

Mike K.

M.K.
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »

Mike, with as much engineering and hard work that you're putting into this model, it's a pity you won't be able to race it when you're done!

Jon Mello
CRG
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: