Author Topic: Chevrolet's process for having another run of parts manufactured  (Read 2709 times)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Specifically about the Derby Centers.
I hate to make assumptions however I have been involved with design approvals during my industrial career and I know that artists can be difficult.

I am going to assume that a designer is intimately involved with the first run of parts, especially a trim item such as a derby center cap which was released with the all new 68 vette. I believe a designer would have had the yea nay regarding the aesthetics of the initial run Derby Centers because the photos I have of it (vette) being developed show a number of different centers being considered.

How many would have been manufactured for the first run?
AND

After the initial run who would be in charge of the next buying order if the part was going to be used during production? Designers or someone more interested in the bottom line?

How would the process go?
Would a current sample be provided with a set of drawings and would the sample be used as a casting model (to make new casting dies) to submit for approval?
Or would the part be hand manufactured from drawings like it was originally?

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet's process for having another run of parts manufactured
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »

How many would have been manufactured for the first run?
AND

After the initial run who would be in charge of the next buying order if the part was going to be used during production? Designers or someone more interested in the bottom line?

How would the process go?
Would a current sample be provided with a set of drawings and would the sample be used as a casting model (to make new casting dies) to submit for approval?
Or would the part be hand manufactured from drawings like it was originally?

The first run for inspection/approvals/tool tryout with temporary tooling would be less than 100 units.

Once appearance and Engineering approvals are secured, any future production runs would be handled by Purchasing and Supplier Quality, with Engineering input as required. The part drawing defines the part dimensionally, and Engineering would supply an appearance sample to be matched for finishes, etc.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bergy

• View Profile
Re: Chevrolet's process for having another run of parts manufactured
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
That's really the "Cliffs Notes" version of a process that typically took 3 to 12 months (or more)   :-)       There were quite a few steps between the pattern shop receiving a new part drawing and "first run" that took a lot of time.  The very first run was just an internal production of one or two castings to get the masters verified.  It was an iterative process.

anything