Author Topic: fake protecto plates heard any stories  (Read 8917 times)

bigcat65

• View Profile
fake protecto plates heard any stories
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
Just want to know if anyone has come acrossed a vin tag miss used with a protecto plate or any other type of misrepresentation issues which would come under fraudulent whore stories!  :o

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: fake protecto plates heard any stories
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »
There is always human error when it comes to data entry.  Now with that being said I have seen pop's that were a little off or letters or numbers left off by accident.   I have also seen hidden vins that are a number off from the actual vin plate in the dash.  Anymore almost nothing is 100%.

EDIT:

After rereading your statement/question I see what you are asking now.  Yes there are many different fake pop's out in the world.  That should not be the only doc that a person should verify.  As twisted as this world is if you want to be 100% correct with a purchase of a car you have to do your homework.  IF you are still uncertain; there are people out there that will look a car over for you for $$$..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »
Welcome to the CRG!

I don't know if anyone on here has come across a vin tag miss used, BUT there are plenty of fake trim tags out there, that are being misrepresented, almost on a daily basis. If you follow the threads on here or do a search you will see plenty of fake tags, from ebay auctions and similar sellers trying  to pass something off as original.

I guess what I am saying is we don't need to re-count any stories, there are enough current stories for you to get your fill.

T.G.I.F.
Spring is finally here....

I agree with Cook, there is a couple legit typo's out there, but a huge amount of fake stuff. When looking at a car now a days especially a 69 Camaro, you almost have to go in thinking it is a fake, and let the docs and dates do the talking. The CRG members here are A-1, if you post up pics they will tell you if it is real.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
ZL-1 #27 springs to mind as a disclosed VIN swap, although I can't recall if a P-o-P was involved.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/559872/all/ZL-1_____#27_IS_FOR_SALE__ON_E
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

bigcat65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 01:32:31 AM »
Yeah that's kind of crazy when people in the classic car industry forget about the passion of having a car in any condition dream of getting it back on the road and then greed takes over and then they will deviate from the true course to deceit  and cheat someone that has the same passion I ALWAYS SAY THIS LITTLE FIBS WILL GROW INTO BIG FAT ONES SOMEWAY SOMEDAY!

bigcat65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
I noticed a lot of different shades of color of the metal used on pop's some look really shiny aluminum and some look dark grayish color what type of medal were they supposed to be made of some have rust on them stored in a damp place in a glove box after under the hood fire water damage or fire extinguisher retardant powder  I hate people who want to burn someone is it about greed or they like the excitement of getting away with something that's illegal

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
I guess what I am saying is we don't need to re-count any stories, there are enough current stories for you to get your fill....

The CRG members here are A-1, if you post up pics they will tell you if it is real.
X2
The general opinion in the hobby is to not offer fakers helpful suggestions, even unintentionally.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
yup.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »
I noticed a lot of different shades of color of the metal used on pop's some look really shiny aluminum and some look dark grayish color what type of medal were they supposed to be made of

The P-O-P Addressograph blanks were STEEL.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
Yes, there are plenty of fake POP's, along with window stickers (most of the time the ECL codes are way off) and build sheets although factory build sheets are difficult to get correct as the machinery used isn't easily duplicated regarding the deep purple/blue transfer color used. Plus the fact that the paper chemistry is not anywhere close to what has been available in the last few decades.

If I were purchasing a rare car with "original documentation" I would have a clause in the contract where I have the option at my expense to have the real paper work tested for authenticity. The clause alone may be enough to scare off a potential fraud.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »
AS far as real paper work. We had someone raid our company mailbox and stole some checks. They somehow removed the company name and installed a persons name and cashed them. Some were SECURE type checks and one was a bank check. It fooled the bank that issued it. I have seen a couple and I can,t tell that anything was done. The police say there is some clown working our area that has the means to do this. In short it may come the day when REAL paperwork is handed to you by the person who originaly received it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »
totally differnet types of inks one is a transfer like a carbon copy using impact printing, and the other is either non impact printed or written ink, the stuff in build sheets doesn't come out even using lacquer thinner...
My brother in law did a lot of check fraud investigations and he let me in on what they are doing... if you use a ball point pen to write the name and info on the check it can't be done... the impression breaks into the paper, the problem with computer generated docs are that it is non-impact printing and doesn't leave an impression on the paper.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa