Author Topic: Lower windshield molding clip fittment ???  (Read 4038 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Lower windshield molding clip fittment ???
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
I am re-installing the mounting clips into my '68 lower windshield molding after having had all my moldings polished and the clips glass bead blasted and painted. These are the eight major clips plus the two clips that go on each end. I am very suprised by how loose they all fit now. I would have thought they should be pretty snug.

This is the original molding and the original clips that came down the assembly line with the car. It has been a few years since I removed the clips and don't remember how tight they were taking them off........Nothing has changed except for the polishing and bead blasting

The eight major clips are loose enough that if you turn the molding up vertically, the clips will slide right down. The two end clips are loose enough that they can be rocked side to side a little bit while sitting inside the molding.

Should these be this loose or is something wrong here?......And if someting is wrong, how do I fix it?

Thanks.........Dave

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: Lower windshield molding clip fittment ???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
Dave,
 Not sure about the main 8 clips, BUT the two end clips are held to the body with screws. If you look at the end clips you will see the mounting hole, the body mounting hole should line up with the clip holes if the are aligned correctly.
  This is too common on the first gen F bodys, it seems that lots of the end clips go unattached when reinstalled. The body mounting hole is below the bottom of the drip rail above the door hinge.
     VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14:50 AM »
The ones which are spaced along the trim are that loose, when the cowl vent panel slides into place the trim tightens right up.
If you haven't replaced your upper cowl, the holes are there, I believe the screws used to retain the clips are coated with sealer.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:50:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies...............

It's good to know that the eight clips are supposed to be that loose and that I don't have another unexplainable problem to fix.

Are the end clips supposed to fit loose also?

It's been a few years since this car came apart and I didn't realize that it was the cowl vent that made the trim tight.

And yes, I knew about the mounting holes for the end clips. I remember getting those screws out!

Dave

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »
I test fitted that lower molding a couple of days ago. Now it all makes sense how the molding and the cowl come together.

Thanks.......Dave

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:38:26 AM »
It's been a few years since this car came apart and I didn't realize that it was the cowl vent that made the trim tight.

Maybe you can sympathize with me, trying to figure out the mouldings and clips for my '57 Nomad, that I totally disassembled 25 yrs ago, and am now trying to sort thru the 100 some odd pieces of stainless..  trying to figure out where it all goes, what holds them on, what order to assemble in, which damn clips to use.. and where oh where are those other two small pieces????   :)...  oh.. in all my looking thru the shop, I did find a horn ring for a Turbo charged Corvair... and have no idea where I got it, but I know it was over 30 yrs ago.... *L*  What am I gonna do with that?  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything