Author Topic: A/C compressor/muffler mystery  (Read 6613 times)

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
A/C compressor/muffler mystery
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:08 AM »
Been reading up on my A/C compressor/muffler, and can't find any reference to a system without a muffler ???. AIM shows one, and I've seen 'em on others. Don't remember seeing a system without one - doesn't mean they aren't out there, though.. Anyone got a clue why the muffler wouldn't be there? I'm not aware of anything being replaced in the past (brain cramp?). There IS a slight possibility that my mom might have had something done to the A/C when I was letting her use it while I was working out of state and she didn't inform me (she was having memory problems :(). Other than that, can anyone shed any light on this mystery? 11A build; 327/210; PG; PS.

Y'all take care,
Mike.
69 plain jane unrestored (but painted once) coupe, LeMans Blue, 86,264 miles, 327/210; PG; PS; A/C; Tinted glass. Original owner.

NoYenko

• View Profile
Re: A/C compressor/muffler mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
Mike, can you post a picture of your hoses coming out of the compressor, a detail shot of the hose crimp might tell us more. George

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Coming up.

Mike.
69 plain jane unrestored (but painted once) coupe, LeMans Blue, 86,264 miles, 327/210; PG; PS; A/C; Tinted glass. Original owner.

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »
Here ya go :).

Mike.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »
So that appears to be a replacement fitting assemble as the originals had a crimp fitting on the hoses. 1967-68's had hose clamps like yours.
Here is a picture of a 69 crimp fitting. The reproduction muffler-hose assemblies are fairly close in appearance. George

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »
Thanks George. Not sure what to tell ya here. Build was 11A, that could explain the hoses. They still have the original insulators on them. Is there another way to verify the hoses?

Mike.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
My car is also an 11A and that was my fitting. I found some 68 date codes on my hoses like |2|4|4|8| Aug 31 1968. You might look under the insulators?
Could you tell me what your upper fan shroud bolt looks like or take a picture of it? Its nice to find another car built in the same week. George

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
Thanks George. I'll check the hoses as soon as I can.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas why there isn't an A/C muffler?  Gotta get this mystery figured out ???.

I'll also take a pic of the bolt for ya. Should I post the pic in the thread, or email it to ya? Looks like we might have to exchange more info ;D.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:18:56 AM »
I don't recall ever seeing a 69 with those style hoses. I'd agree that it appears the hoses were changed and the insulators reinstalled.
Here's another 11A car.

You can also look for earlier cars to confirm which hoses were used.
Kurt S
CRG

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »
Thanks Kurt! Still not convinced, but y'all have planted a seed of doubt here :-\ Looks like I'll be checking the hoses out for numbers VERY carefully ;) I'll get back to y'all!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 03:09:11 AM »
Find an early and original car with AC and there's your answer.
The one I posted is very original.
Kurt S
CRG

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:44 PM »
Thanks KurtS. Definitely gonna do some digging as soon as I can.

As I understand it, the reason for the A/C muffler is to attenuate the pressure pulses on the discharge side. If so, what might happen without it in place - could it damage the system? Thanks in advance.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Mikes69_Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 03:06:18 AM »
"As I understand it, the reason for the A/C muffler is to attenuate the pressure pulses on the discharge side. If so, what might happen without it in place - could it damage the system? Thanks in advance."

Anybody??

Y'all take care,
Mike.

anything