Author Topic: July 1969 Norwood shutdown  (Read 4699 times)

6667ss138

• View Profile
July 1969 Norwood shutdown
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
I read on a couple of old forums where it was mentioned that there was a 2 or 3 week shutdown in July of 69. My 07A Z/28 came back from the NCRS with a July 10th build date but my VIN is towards the end of the July production numbers. I'm hoping that William, John Z or Kurt can confirm that the shutdown would have been the LAST 2 or 3 weeks of that month? I'm assuming that all of the July cars were built by the middle of the month and production didn't start up again until August. That would make sense and coincide with the later VIN but earlier in the month build. I know July was one of the lowest production months for Camaro's at the Norwood plant with only 5111 built.
Thanks!

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10066.15

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210920&highlight=july+1969+norwood+shutdown

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: July 1969 Norwood shutdown
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »
The Norwood plant shutdown at the close of business Friday July 11 and resumed production Monday August 11. VINs after approximately N669119 were final-assembled in August.

The NCRS dates I'm seeing don't exactly match up to the last VIN produced for the month records from Chevrolet. Depends on how it was defined for shipping/invoicing purposes.
Learning more and more about less and less...

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
Thanks William. My VIN is 668XXX so that would make sense that it was one of the last Z's built before the shutdown on the 11th. Understanding now that my car was built early in the month of July before the shutdown also explains why i have so many original May dated as well as June dated parts on my car.
Thanks again!

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:15:58 PM »
6667ss138... this information may help a bit with respect to your overall curiosity.

For Norwood the production date was forecast in the production planning review meeting that occurred 72 hours prior to production.   For those of you with "Echoes" on the book shelf have a look at pages 90-93.

Fortunately the production scheduling superintendent is still with us and I asked him about the vehicle shipper vs the production date.

He stated without hesitation that "the holding lot could hold better than 4000 cars at any one time and it typically took two days "or more" to get the car shipped".   "Even more days were required if the car was held up at repair either outside in the holding lots, or inside at AGR".

"For vehicle shipping purposes the shipper must be very accurate as to the ship date when the shipper takes possession of the product. This is the "production date" as referred to on the shipper".

In a good faith effort to understand the relationship between the dates on the Body Plate (called the trim tag by the hobby) researchers and have tended to rely on the shipper info from NCIB and now the NCRS to establish the build date of the car and in so doing discount the date applied to the body plate.

OK: First off the shipper date is the date when the car was considered "released to the shipper" -- and all production/repair was technically complete.    In the period 1967-1970 the date of production on the body plate in relationship with the ship date could be influenced by any one of the following:

A production hold at the Fisher body bank
A production hold off line at Fisher in body shop, Paint, hard or soft trim.
A production hold at the Chevrolet body bank.
Chevrolet repairs after production at AGR
Chevrolet repairs after production in the post production holding lots

My 1969 Z-11 fell right in with the description provided by the production superintendent.   It is an 05-A Body plate car.    Based upon the NCRS provided "production date" from the vehicle shipper-my car sat in the plant holding lot roughly three production days prior to being assigned a shipper date for May 7th.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
Very, very interesting.
Thank you for taking the time to post!