Author Topic: New guy to forum with Old first Gen  (Read 22352 times)

avnut

• View Profile
Re: New guy to forum with Old first Gen
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
Somewhere I had come across a system that was set up with a high flow muffle that mounted in the stock location.May have been Jegs.Nice to know the 3" tails wont be a good fit.I guess I have plenty of time to work it out.
The first time around with the car I had Thrush mufflers bolted to the headers and nothing else.Just plain loud especially screaming down the road with 4.88 gears.At 65mph turning like 4600 rpm,but acceleration was like wow...
aka-Tom
68 RS/SS 396 04C Norwood Blue/Blue
427/M21/3.73 12 Bolt posi
Power drum,Std int,D55 console w/gauges,U73 rear antenna. PP code 12 bolt rear axle.

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
Very cool, I ran a very similar combo in a 69 Z years ago, at idle it would scare women & children.   ;D

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
I went with this config. 3.5" collector reducing down to 2.5" into a x-pipe and going through Pypes Pro Race Crossflow muffler and the tailpipes are in the stock location.  I think it sounded great but the fiancee thinks its extremely too loud..  lol but still wants to drive it once its finished.  Go figure.  Once I finish with the engine I plan on posting a vid of how it sounds.  Also note that the aftermarket aluminum diff cover worked with the muffler.

Pic of the assembly and fabbing of the exhaust.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 04:12:41 AM »
I also used the 2 1/2 in. PYPES Pro Race Crossflow system behind Headers.  My wife loves it, would rather listen to the exhaust than the Radio.  Here is thread I posted before, Reply #22 & #23.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9411.15

*Note my #23 comment on the 2 hangers in front of the axle.  Also this system exits in almost the same location as original.  I "Bologna Sliced" the end of my tailpipe, but only about 1/2 in. showing.

BTW, Darrell;  nice pic. of the system up under the car.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:48:56 AM by MyRed67 »
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

avnut

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »
Thanks for the pic Darrell.I'll have to check that out.
aka-Tom
Power drum,Std int,D55 console w/gauges,U73 rear antenna. PP code 12 bolt rear axle.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
Just an FYI this is not a Pypes kit.  Just the muffler was Pypes.  I wanted to be able to tuck the exhaust up against the car and I didnt know how the Pypes system would fit so I went this route.  Cost was about the same as getting the kit but I got a deal on the labor since I was doing 40% of it.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 03:34:04 AM »
avnut,,,I used the complete PYPES system without any clearance issues either as far as fitment or Ground clearance.  I'm going to post a pic., notice I have installed Sub-frame connectors, and the PYPES do not hang lower than the connectors. The lowest part of the Exhaust is the Headers, which is not unusual. I will try to get a pic. in the next couple of days of how I did the tailpipes (Bologna sliced)  BTW, I have over 4,500 miles on this exhaust with no issues.  As an idea of how much ground clearance I have, I took this pic. just laying on the Garage floor.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

avnut

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
Looks good (and clean)thanks
Where did you get the system? Was system made for headers or did you have to cut them down?
aka-Tom

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »
  Lord.................Thrush mufflers! That takes me back to 1975 and a green kid. I bought round Thrush header mufflers and was so dumb I thought they couldn't sell them if they were illegal. After enough tickets I got the message and bought some Hush Thrush header muffflers. Quieter but still too loud for the most crazed of constabulary hotrod cops. More tickets. I found that it wasn't the noise per se........cops just hate hotrods. Back then they were targeted and profiled and persecuted. It was a great revenue racket for the government.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

avnut

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
  Lord.................Thrush mufflers! That takes me back to 1975 and a green kid. I bought round Thrush header mufflers and was so dumb I thought they couldn't sell them if they were illegal. After enough tickets I got the message and bought some Hush Thrush header muffflers. Quieter but still too loud for the most crazed of constabulary hotrod cops. More tickets. I found that it wasn't the noise per se........cops just hate hotrods. Back then they were targeted and profiled and persecuted. It was a great revenue racket for the government.
Did you live in my town also?
Describes my hometown to a tee. :0
Got three tickets in two weeks for modified exhaust.I think I was on the "hit list".
aka-Tom

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
avnut,,,I got the system (PYPES SGF 70) from JEGS store on EBay. ($513.98 free shippn. in '12)  Summit still has same system $515.99 and free shipping.  Did either Darrell or I mention this system is stainless?  With the limited use the car gets (and pampered) it should out last me.  And yes, this system is "Header back".  If you don't want to use Headers, you have to buy the downpipe separate.
Darrell,,,I had no labor expense.   My Grandfather owned a Gas station and my brother and I worked our way through High School there.  Installed many an Exhaust system in my day.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
avnut,,,here's pic. I promised of the tailpipes.  You can also see here clearance, car is sitting on the ground.  As I said before, the Headers are the low spot, which is pretty normal.  I also remembered, I cut about 3/4 in. off the front end of the Pass. side tailpipe where it goes into muffler to get more clearance so it wouldn't hit the Mono-leaf spring.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
  Ha avnut         When I switched to the Hush Thrush I thought I was safe. I actually had a city cop pull me and shine a flashlight up under the car. The Hush Thrush were new and I hadn't thought to paint them black. The bastard saw the bird decal and busted me. It was that bizarre. Every story one might read of cops persecuting hot rodders in the '70s is probably rooted in truth. They checked bumper height, tires outside of the fenderwells.....everything. I even once got stopped for having blue dots in my taillights. It was a different time and a wild one.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

anything