Author Topic: ALIGNMENT OF PITMAN ARM  (Read 5408 times)

Franko

• View Profile
ALIGNMENT OF PITMAN ARM
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
I had the power steering box rebuilt on my 68 Camaro. Now the bottom spoke of the steering wheel is not exactly at 6 oclock. Did I do something wrong in bolting up the pitman arm? Or is this normal and it will be aligned when I get the front end aligned?

Thanks.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: ALIGNMENT OF PITMAN ARM
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »
I had the power steering box rebuilt on my 68 Camaro. Now the bottom spoke of the steering wheel is not exactly at 6 oclock. Did I do something wrong in bolting up the pitman arm? Or is this normal and it will be aligned when I get the front end aligned?

Thanks.

The pitman arm has a "blind spline" to align it with the splines on the pitman shaft - it only goes on one way. If you have the rest of the system properly centered (rag joint to input shaft and to steering column shaft), you can center the steering wheel position while re-setting the toe-in.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
I should have said that I never took the Pitman arm off the power steering box. I was referring to the attachment of Pitman arm to the center link. I think you are saying that a wheel alignment at the shop should take care of it.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
I should have said that I never took the Pitman arm off the power steering box. I was referring to the attachment of Pitman arm to the center link. I think you are saying that a wheel alignment at the shop should take care of it.

That's correct.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:43:49 AM »
Thank you John Z.

anything