Author Topic: Slowly starting the 6 cylinder RS build from Hell  (Read 14332 times)

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
Slowly starting the 6 cylinder RS build from Hell
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
Hey Guys...been off here for about 6 months and almost sold my rusty '68 RS after buying a V8 Vega. I have now come to my senses and will get rid of the Vega to concentrate on the RS. Back in Nov, I posted that I was upgrading my 230 to a 250. The engine casting number is 3921968 and it was cast on 022 8...the P-O-P engine number is F0223BA (230 six). The project so far has been acquiring parts...I now have orig GM quarters for it ($1,800 on CL in OH), a complete floor and rockers from a '68 Firebird from AZ ($1,000 on CL plus $500 shipping to OH), rust-free RS fenders from NM ($350 on CL...shipping to OH was almost $300), a complete and nearly perfect original black standard interior (found on CL here in OH for $500...door panels, buckets, and rear seat), nice FC coded wheels ($200 on CL), decent '68 drum brake subframe ($200 on CL in OH), an NOS 7.35 x 14 Firestone Deluxe Champion spare from a rusty '68 Chevelle being parted out in MI ($150), and a spare 250 from a '68 Nova ($250 on CL in TN...it will cough up its crank, rods, and pistons for the 230...the nice little-old-lady 4-door Nova was being parted out to provide parts for a pro street '69). I have been buying NOS 6 cylinder parts on Ebay for next to nothing...AC fuel pump ($25), GM muffler ($40), AC dist caps ($5 to $10), front drums for $10 apiece, and a drum brake master cylinder for $45 (it's great when no one else wants the stuff you want :). My RS will go back to its original Tripoli Turquoise, column shift, radio delete (there is no hole for an antenna punched in the right front fender, and there is no code for a radio on the P-O-P...the codes line on the P-O-P is completely blank), with dog dish hubcaps...probably the strangest (and cheapest) '68 RS ever built. I will post photos on here if I can figure out an easy way to reduce the size of my photos.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Slowly starting the 6 cylinder RS build from Hell
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
Thats a great way to build a car.  Plus it makes it more exciting and fun.  Cant wait to see pics!

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
Great news! Too bad you do not have your location on your profile, then we could have had conversed and you could have helped me with part finding and, likewise, I could have helped you. You are missing out on another great resource of part acquisition by forming relationships (networking) , here, on the site. Best of luck and can't wait to see pics of your progress.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »
Ko-lek-tor...I didn't realize I hadn't completed my profile. I'm used to the Camaros.net site where it shows on your post where you're from. I will update it on here ASAP. This site seems to get less traffic, but I like the fact that there is a small piece of it devoted to 6 cylinders (even though there is almost no commentary on 6 cyl cars). My plan is to do a complete nut and bolt resto on it (including the goofy column shifter), right down to the metal dealer trunk emblem and bias ply repop Coker 7.35 x 14 tires. I will try to post pics soon...this car is a real oddball.

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Not trying to chastise you about your profile because no one else seems to put that(location) in their profile either, maybe purposely. Many on here also have accounts on the other sites, including me. I frequent this site the most as I am obssessed with original, correct and/or day two type cars. This site seems to bring out the same type of enthusiasts. If I wanted to know what the best tremec kit or if an intercooler is needed or if velvet interior was an option, I would go to TC. Just too many goofy non-original topics for me. You sound like more the CRGer. I hope to read and help in your quest of details. Nothing wrong with a Six. Sometimes, I wish mine was a six, especially when putting gas in it and when buying parts...much less expensive for engine pieces. You should contact chilli R. He is in Marion, Ohio. He came down to my place a few weeks ago and talked me out of my 69 250 six.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 03:23:34 AM »
Ko-lek-tor...I'm in Columbus, OH...very close to Marion. If you have his number I will give him a call (or I can contact him through here...people are sometimes funny about their privacy). I'm Alex and have been involved with 1st Gen Camaros since the early '80s. I graduated HS in 1975 and have owned many GTOs (all of them Iowa rust buckets...all purchased between $125 to $1,200), a '70 Boss 302 Mustang (purchased for $1,600 in 1976), a '68 SS396 Chevelle purchased for $800, a '67 RS bought in Socal in 1980 for $1,200 (327/275 with a 4-speed and posi rear), a '69 Trans Am purchased for $500 in Tijuana, Mex in '80 (read my article and see the pictures at the Texastransams.com website), a '68 RS (also 327/275 4-speed) purchased for $1,800 in Socal in'82 (wrecked it one rainy night after too many beers), and many other interesting cars over the years (incl. a survivor '72 Datsun 240Z that I sold 2 years ago). One of the best cars was a '72 Nova 4-door with a 250 six and 3-speed on the column...very entertaining and cheap to drive. I'm now 56 and just looking for something fun to build (and off-the-wall). After selling the 240Z in 2012 (I never quite got into it to the depth I needed...it just didn't move my soul), I got the itch to build a 1st Gen Camaro...most of them with very high price tags and seriously "messed with" (my fiancee was pregnant at the time and I knew I needed something that seated more than 2 people). I have owned some very original survivor cars over the years and found that they attract the most attention and appreciation at shows (and are usually the best drivers...I don't need to go 140 mph anymore, and like getting good gas mileage while I'm cruising around. The '68 RS was found on CL in Hartford, CT for $1,600 (cheap due to rust issues...everyone else saw it and walked away). I realized it was probably a one-of-a-kind, and saw that it came with its numbers-match drivetrain and some early paperwork (P-O-P and dealer order form) and snapped it up. It will take at least 4-5 years to resurrect it, but it'll be a great car to take to shows and cruise around in. I have a son who is 16 months-old (note months, not years!), and he will help Daddy work on it. As I said in an earlier post, my intention is to build it 100% correct. The larger welding work will go to a good body guy I recently discovered, and some of the small wedling will be done by me (90 amp wire-feed welder from Harbor Freight). I will also do the prep and paint with single-stage urethane (probably PPG Imron) since it is less labor intensive than base-coat, clear-coat (and less shiny...looks closer to the Magic-mirror finishes GM applied on these cars originally). The brake and fuel lines will come from the Right Stuff (run in the Columbus area by a great Camaro guy I have known for years...Dave Roberts). The single exhaust will come from Waldron's (not sure where they are, but they produce correct 6 cyl stuff). I plan on using only correct GM bolts and correct paint and finishes on everything. Yes...you're right that this site seems more in tune with 100% correct restorations than TC (no hit on them as there are many fine guys over there). Kurt S seems to be affiliated with both sites, but probably much closer to this site (his research papers are all posted on this site). I'm looking forward to finally getting the body's bad metal replaced and getting components rebuilt (the car still has its original alternator, starter, distributor, and carb). Looking forward to sharing my love of old Camaros on here and learning a thing or two about doing one the right way. Greetings to all here...

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:30:42 AM »
Sounds like you've been around the block a few times Alex! You have had some real nice sounding, fun rides. Welcome. I know you will do fine and are a good asset to the site. You can always use the PM feature to send more personal info in the future. It will take some time to learn how to do searches and looking up guys is not too hard. Chilli R is in 6 cyl. section. Give him a PM. I am in S.W. Ohio East of Cincy.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 03:19:58 AM »
I have one picture of Ol' Krusty that's under the 200kb size limit. It's going to need just a bit of polishing before it'll be ready for the show circuit!

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 03:43:33 AM »
Is that the original paint? original color? I never cared for dented stuff, but can live with bad paint or little rust. I'd be tempted to fix some of the bruises and dings, and start driving it! You would be surprised how many would be all over it at a show. My Yellow car is rough and everyone flocks to it as if it where a new egyptian tomb find that has just been unearthed. Times have changed and ratty original pieces seem to garner respect at shows just because no one has laid hands on it and messed...oops "restored"(most mis-used word in the hobby) it.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
That is what I want for a daily driver!!!  Perfect.  Unless it has rot in the quarters or floors; I would leave it alone.  I wish I could find a decent 68 6 cylinder car for a dd.. 

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
It has pretty extensive rot in the quarters and floors as it sat outside in Newburgh, NY for the better part of 25 years (the guy bought it to "restore someday" and then just let it sit out). The quarters and trunk drop offs are bad, and the floor pans are shot, but the rear spring perches and rockers are salvageable. The complete drivetrain is there (all numbers match the P-O-P), and was originally Tripoli turquoise with a black D90 stripe (the last owner didn't like the turq and changed it to Lemans blue). The original owner was a woman who ordered it to look like the SS-RS in the showroom...it has almost no options (radio delete and no power options). I'll try to get some more pictures on here.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »
email me the pics and Ill post them up.

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 03:25:21 PM »
I would like to know how many cars in the three years are out there with RS and a 6 cyl? That has to be a contradiction as an upgrade option (RS) was put on an otherwise sparse, basic car...I am with DW(cook dw) on this car would make a great DD if rust issues are addressed.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »
I knew it was rare and probably a true one-of-one when I found it, so the idea of making it a V8 quickly faded away. I thought of doing a re-body on it after a buddy told me it needed too much work, but I located a very knowledgeable body man who said the '68 was fixable. I now have most of the pieces necessary to accomplish the job and will be taking the body and parts to him within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I am hoping to put it 100% to its as-built condition, including the orange and green PTB firewall stamps (it was built across 2 shifts and has stamps in both colors), and crappy bias-ply whitewall tires.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
Darrell...I appreciate your offer to post the pics. Please PM your email address to me. Thanks!

anything