Author Topic: Fitting auto trans oil cooler to 68 Camaro  (Read 3639 times)

SS396

• View Profile
Fitting auto trans oil cooler to 68 Camaro
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
Have any of you guys fitted a trans oil cooler to your 68 69 Camaros ?  It's not a numbers matching car so I'm not too bothered but I want to do a nice job of it. Any ideas on how to mount it or photos would be nice.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting auto trans oil cooler to 68 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:01 AM »
  Just put it in front of the radiator. And use a big one. The kit will come with zip-tabs to mount it to the radiator with, so that's no problem. A quality cooler will have flared ends so you don't have to use hoses and clamps--just flare fittings. You didn't say if you have a cooler already in the radiator. If you do it's not hard to bend steel lines around to the cooler in front. If you're running new lines from the transmission they can be bought pre-bent or you can buy straight tubing at any auto parts store and make them yourself. On my '68 I ran them up the inside of the frame rail and turned them up in front of the radiator support, then to the cooler. It all depends on how neat of a job you want to do. There is certainly nothing wrong with hoses and clamps, I didnt mean to infer that. We all do things differently. Good luck and I hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

SS396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:27 AM »
Thanks hotrod68. Yeah I have a cooler already in the radiator. Just want some added cooling as I live in Australia and it can really hot here in the summer. Got a B&M supercooler (part # 70274) to go on. Just wanted to get some ideas on how other members have mounted them.

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
Point to punder, by GM design, the cooler is filled from the bottom and returns to the trans from the top fitting.
The add-on cooler should be filled the same way, from the bottom up, as this removes air from the tubes.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
Point to punder, by GM design, the cooler is filled from the bottom and returns to the trans from the top fitting.
The add-on cooler should be filled the same way, from the bottom up, as this removes air from the tubes.

That's the same reason the heater core inlet is at the bottom and the outlet is at the top - reduces the "gurgling" sound that can be heard inside the car.  :-)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG