Author Topic: Chrome trim options.  (Read 8694 times)

jpfanne

• View Profile
Chrome trim options.
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:15:29 AM »
I was presented with a question about my 69 Z this weekend.  My car "currently" has chrome wheel opening moldings, chrome gills, but does not have chrome trim on the drip edge above the doors.  Am I missing a piece or would this be a possible configuration?  It's an x-77 car and does NOT have the RS option.  I don't have a build sheet so I'm just looking for everyone's opinion.  If it had one, would it have all of them, or could they be ordered individually?

Thanks,
Jeff.

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Chrome trim options.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
An X77 car should not have the wheel opening trim or the quarter panel simulated louvers. There's a good explanation of the X codes and style trim/RS combinations here: http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes and if you scroll further down that page, there's a table listing exactly what features each of the X code cars had from the factory.
A previous owner must have taken a fancy to adding a bit of bling to your car!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
ZLP (Tim) is correct, a lot of owners probably went to the dealer to add the trim that they liked though. I personally like the roof rail trim, and the tail light dividers, but not the wheel well moulding, or the simulated louvers. (I am probably in the minority)
My car is a X77 and is in stock configuration, and after looking at so many cars where items have been added , I really like that my car has survived without the common mods, but that is the great thing about this hobby you can put whatever you want on the car, the only critic you have to please is yourself! ;)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »
I'm surprised if there's not an original option for the 'Bright Wheel Lip Mouldings' by themselves.....   

in '69, most items could be had in packages, or individually... from most of the manufacturers (unlike today, where the ONLY way you can get certain items is part of larger packages - and I hate the way it is today!).. :)    I like to customize my cars when I order them....   today it's very difficult to do that.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
ZLP (Tim) is correct, a lot of owners probably went to the dealer to add the trim ...
... the only critic you have to please is yourself! ;)

Bullitt, good observation. Lately, I realize more and more when you factor what the dealer did or may have done to sell a car, many unconventional combinations are possible.
Your other thought: Right on about pleasing yourself...I think Ricky Nelson had a song about that. Early on in a body person search, a guy looked at my car. He asked what model it was? I told him SS. He said he did not think it was an SS because it did not have spoilers or a Tachometer?! Needless to say, he was not the guy I chose. I was irked that he acted as if he would not do resto if it were a more "common" car, I just got  that opinion by his questions. His lack of Camaro knowledge about details could have been overlooked provided that he agreed to consult me or CRG on specific details, but he said he did not consult the internet for anything and info there probably would be wrong anyway. (I don't think he trusted my expertise (loosely) as he did not believe I knew what my own car was).
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
.... Early on in a body person search, a guy looked at my car. He asked what model it was? I told him SS. He said he did not think it was an SS because it did not have spoilers or a Tachometer?! Needless to say, he was not the guy I chose. ....
[/quote]

I think you were doing good not to 'choose' him as your body/paint guy....  :)    Your example probably helps to explain why so many *Restored* cars are incorrect in so many respects.   I saw one at our local car show Saturday; the paint and workmanship seemed very good (was a local car sent out of state for restoration), BUT..  there were so many aspects of it that I didn't like because obviously the restorer (and perhaps the owner) didn't know enough, or research enough, to do it more accurately...  I also suspected the trim plate was a fake (looked like it was a few days old).. :)

jpfanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:02 AM »
Ok, I looked over the chart.  Seems my car is a little further from "original" than I thought.  Thanks for the information.

Jeff.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
<<I'm surprised if there's not an original option for the 'Bright Wheel Lip Mouldings' by themselves.....  >>

Nope, there wasn't - if you wanted wheel lip moldings, you had to order the Z21 Style Trim package and take all of it - drip moldings, quarter louvers, wheel opening moldings, taillight dividers, headlamp bezel trim, etc.

The original owner of my X33 car ordered it with just about everything you could get on a Z/28, but didn't like the Camaro emblem on the fender or the quarter louvers, so he removed them, brazed the holes shut, and painted it between the wheel openings from the feature line down. Different folks, different strokes.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
Interesting, I had to go back and look at the other thread where you posted about your tires. Seems like it would have been easier to order a X77 car and add the items that you wanted. But every 69 came with the "Camaro" emblem so I guess he would had  to deal with that still. What year did he have that done?

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:33:27 AM »
Interesting, I had to go back and look at the other thread where you posted about your tires. Seems like it would have been easier to order a X77 car and add the items that you wanted. But every 69 came with the "Camaro" emblem so I guess he would had  to deal with that still. What year did he have that done?
except the rally sport
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
your right. I should have said every non RS . I just meant for the previous owner of Kurts car he would have to deal with a emblem on that fender.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »

He had it done the week the car was delivered (early March, 1969). If you look down the inside of the rear of the fenders with the door open with a flashlight, you can see the little globs of braze in the emblem holes.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »

From the recent photos of your car you posted John, you've never drilled out the braze and reinstalled them??   

He had it done the week the car was delivered (early March, 1969). If you look down the inside of the rear of the fenders with the door open with a flashlight, you can see the little globs of braze in the emblem holes.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »
From the recent photos of your car you posted John, you've never drilled out the braze and reinstalled them??

Nope. I have the parts, but haven't felt like re-drilling the holes through the braze.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »

Nope. I have the parts, but haven't felt like re-drilling the holes through the braze.
If you dont go by a template I bought some badly pitted original lovers and cut the studs off and drilled them put them against the quarter to where they fit tne marked and drilled the holes - fits much better
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

anything