Author Topic: Stripe delete  (Read 59621 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Stripe delete
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
Magic Mirror tag was also used on Yenko cars as well.   ;)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
If it was before Jan of 68 it would have had "Z-Z" or in this case "Z-2".  But its a June built car.

Why would a corvette bronze car have a Z-Z (british green) code on it when Corvette bronze was not a standard Camaro color until January of 68, and when it was added it is code O?  British racing green also was one of those colors added in January of 68 when Black, Fathom blue, Grecian Geen and Palermo Ivory were deleted, and Rallye Green, Corvette Bronze, Lemans Blue, and Britsh Green got added?  Codes J,O,U and Z didn't exist as a Camaro paint code before 1/68.

Were talking the L78 with the - paint code above in reply 56.  Think we have a couple of converstions crossing over one another here.

Can't explain why yours has a special paint code on the tag, you seem to have a standard Lemans Blue car (we sure its lemans blue and not some other GM special order blue color?).  There are two blue colors on your car from the cowl tag picture, one darker than the other.  Is it paint fade, or is there another color under the current color?

If we follow the general rule that GM didn't use the Fisher cowl tag for anything and the front end stripes were painted by GM off line in the sheetmetal and paint booth no where near the cowl tag.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »
I think your reply should be directed to cook dw as that is the quote and your responses except for my tag. I can assure you there are no other colors under the paint and it has one respray of the same color that are in the hidden areas and I always thought it was LeMans blue, but could never be sure because of the tag. It could have been a stripe delete and added when resprayed. Don't know for sure. Only some areas were resprayed and most of the original paint is visible. I got rid of the original fenders years ago (mistake) as I bought NOS back in the day to replace them. Always been a puzzler to me. The paint you see in the pic on tag and top of cowl are GM original. Not sure where you see two colors, must be the lighting. lower part of tag is the black that came on tag. Car has not been messed with at least no accident or modifyed except for my tunnel ram which car still has the original components, intake was for pic only and I never ran it on the car. Owned since 79. You can see the silver XT rim behind my Centerline. Car also had P06 trim rings with dog dish caps. If money holds out after Big Block car is done, this will be next. It is very original.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
Why would a corvette bronze car have a Z-Z (british green) code on it when Corvette bronze was not a standard Camaro color until January of 68, and when it was added it is code O?  British racing green also was one of those colors added in January of 68 when Black, Fathom blue, Grecian Geen and Palermo Ivory were deleted, and Rallye Green, Corvette Bronze, Lemans Blue, and Britsh Green got added?  Codes J,O,U and Z didn't exist as a Camaro paint code before 1/68.

They used "O" in 67 and "Z" in early 68 for special paint or whatever.  After Jan of 68 they used the "-".  His car(rare396bronze) is a June built car and had the "-" so it wouldnt have been a special paint at that time to get bronze.  It had to be for the stripe delete.  I swear I thought we had already gone over this.. ???

Were talking the L78 with the - paint code above in reply 56.  Think we have a couple of converstions crossing over one another here.

Different cars but the same situation.  The car would have been built after Jan 68 for it to have gotten the "-" on the trim tag.  

LOOK HERE

http://camaros.org/numbers.shtml#T:SpecialPaint

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »
So excluding a special order color which obviously warrents a "-" on the cowl tag, what does Fisher do to a non Z28 car tub thats different on a "-" (or early "Z") coded car on a stripe deletion?  Obviously on a Z28 they don't paint the rear stripes, nor do they paint the Cowl stripes.  On a BB they could delete the tail panel blackout.

They don't have the front fenders, valance  or the hood, so nothing from the doors forward can be affected by info on the cowl tag, and the physical tag is nowhere near these complenents when they are assembled and painted on the GM side.

Whats left?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
I have seen special paint trim tags for 68 Camaro of some cars that had stripes and some did not and the tags look the same with the 2 dashes and no paint code

So on those special paint cars, you can't tell if they had stripes or not from the trim tag but those cars have original pictures one
 showing stripes and the other no stripe

I have seen some police Impala special paint trim tags where they showed 3 dashes in the paint code field which I think was to show
special paint and some type of extra work such as a stripe or maybe the door color was different then the lower body color (3 tone paint )

Camaro could have done something like that if they wanted to show more info on the tags

We know in 1967 the early big blocks and Zs were 4P then they expanded the info to show 4N 4K 4L
In 1968 there was no room to show option codes on the tag (except on special order tags)
Then in 1969 they started to  show more info with X codes and other codes or numbers
they must have had a reason to show more info on the tag
as it was continued with 1970 and later

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:57 AM »

LOOK HERE

http://camaros.org/numbers.shtml#T:SpecialPaint
[/quote]

As many times as I've been through the site informationals, it never ceases to amaze me what you can find with a little extra reading. I hope I never stop learning -

Regards
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
There is a lot of great info on this site and many thanks to all who contribute

looking at this info on the 1968 Yenko tag, I think that should be reviewed as my research is a little different then this info.....
"(These discussions apply only to U.S.-built bodies sold by GM in North America and are not applicable to models assembled outside of the U.S. Note that 1968 Yenkos and 1968 non-Canadian export models, not requiring the statement of certification to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, were shipped with 1959-1963 style Fisher Body tags that are absent the 1968 certification statement. And 1969 export tags are often blank on the bottom of the tag.) "

I don't believe the "Magic Mirror" tag was used to omit the 1968 safety statement
I believe it was used as a special order tag

The  "Magic Mirror" tag was used as late as 1966 on early Fremont CA. built Chevelles and some 1968 Camaros with the
 "Magic Mirror" tag have a separate tag with the safety statement on it.

I have been doing research on Yenkos since 1986 and did a lot on the Chevelles and 67-68 Camaros tags.
I found the special order tags on the Chevelles and 1967 Camaros over 10 years ago and at that time I was told they did not have special tags but proved they do have a special tag when compared to normal tags. (not all 1967 Yenkos have it, all Yenko and 427 COPO Chevelles I found have it)

Some 1968 Yenkos have the  "Magic Mirror" tag which at the time was said to be an export tag since it was also found on some export Camaros. When I was researching the 68s, I found the  "Magic Mirror" tag was used as late as 1966 on early Fremont Chevelles.
I believe it was used on special order 1968 Camaros because the  "Magic Mirror" tag has a "ACC" accessory code line which can show the special order codes if needed

Yenko was allowed special order cars for his race cars and hi po street cars  including Corvette, Camaro, Chevelle Corvair Nova and Vega and it shows up on most of the tags

attached a pic of 1966 Chevelle  "Magic Mirror" tag

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Maybe this should be in a new thread but I do find this topic interesting.  Can anyone verify if Nickey & Dana did or did not have the "Magic Mirror" tags like the Yenkos of 68.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
as far as I know, Yenko was the only one to get the special order 1968 Camaros that had COPO 9737 with 140 speedo, large ft sway bar, special code L78, and other HD items

in 1968 COPO 9737 was called the Yenko Sportscars Conversion
in 1969 COPO 9737 was called the Sportscar Conversion and other dealers were allowed to order it on 427 COPO Camaros and Chevelles

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:04 AM »
The export cars used the ACC tag specifically because they didn't meet US specs and and 69 export and foreign-built cars also deleted the compliance text.
Norwood didn't use the extra space on the ACC tag.
All known special order 68 cars didn't get the ACC tag. Most of these are special paint. Yenkos are the only known Camaro COPOs in 68 so it's hard to know if there a difference between F&SO and COPO tagging.
At least 2 apparently normal order cars got the ACC tag and got an extra compliance tag.
Yenkos got the ACC tag and did not get the extra compliance tag. Why not?

The Yenkos were running MV code motor which probably was not certified and were going to be sold new with a 427.  So they were not in compliance with federal regs.
That leads to our conclusion of why the Yenko cars got the ACC tag.
Kurt S
CRG

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »
  There actually were two stripe deletes in 1968. According to the AIM, the D88 and D96 stripes were canceled before implemtentaion. The D88 was a little too psychedlic and the D96 just sucked, in my opinion. Just a bit of trivia to banter about.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2014, 10:48:30 AM »
Those aren't really stripe deletes, they were stripes that were cancelled before they made it into production.  The D88 was probably just a little to labor intensive in a production environment, as each stripe would have had to have been masked off 5 times to paint all the different colors, and keeping track of the various stripe colors that went with the car body colors would have been a nightmare for the paint shop..
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2014, 04:48:31 AM »
The pics I have of the D88 stripe show it was a decal.
Kurt S
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
The maroon 68 convertible with the white interior?  That one is clearly paint, but of course its originality has always been questioned.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11