Author Topic: Stripe delete  (Read 59615 times)

bc69

• View Profile
Re: Stripe delete
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
The reason in my having such interest is I have what is thought to be a factory delete
Stripe early 67RSSS. There is nothing on the cowl to reflect this. But I do have reference to this in some notes
That dealership salesman had made on car after order date. I feel that with the timeframe the car
was ordered, notes made and car delivered, that  and no reference of paint work done at dealer, that it was most likely done at factory.
But I'm still digging!
Brad
RSSS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »
Bumble bee Stripe deletion wouldn't be on the cowl tag, becasue Fisher didn't paint the front end sheet metal.  GM must have covered that in their Body Broadcast sheet with some kind of note about not painting the nose stripes, and or the pinstripes along the top of the fenders that the RS's got.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
So Mark, your saying that in your opinion that a FSO for delete of stripe, that it would show on broadcast, build and window stickers only?
Brad
RSSS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »
A D90/D91 stripe deletion would never show on the cowl tag, and also probably not show on the window sticker as there was no cost associated with it.  I'm guessing that it would have to have been on the GM body braodcast sheet down at the bottom saying something like stripe delete, or do not paint nose stripe.  I've only seen one body broadcast sheet for a 67 PC that had those kinds of notes, and it just said something like pace car paint per FSO sheet (they were part of an FSO (fleet and special order) where as a stripe delete car could not necessarily have an FSO number.

The body broadcast sheet is the build sheet, or atleast half of them, as there was a chassis build sheet as well.  All items on it were for GM's work on the car.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
Man this stuff just keeps firing up your curiosity. Gm sure left a lot up to the imagination
with the first gens. Find one answer and it just creates another question. Love it. Or love to hate it.
Ok.......so now I guess my question to dwell on is........who if anyone, can say if they ever saw this on a window sticker.
The forum and data does mention the relationship of this subject to the 1001AA as a no cost code as I mentioned earlier. But as Mark said the probability of not being on the sticker makes sense. Well I take that back..
Brad
RSSS

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
looking at my POP tag today ,across the top is stamped as such:   E     GG      1243XXXXXXX, varies from the few I've seen if this helps. E ?   double G for paint code ?
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
E is the interior paint code which is black.  GG is ash gold no vinyl roof.

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 05:13:06 AM »
I sanded on my original header panel off my car & found no stripe ever being on this car. About 20 years ago I met a gentleman who was the original owner off his car and his car had had a -2 on the trim tag it no stripes l78 car original paint car. I asked him about the code - he told me that his was special paint car  that they left off the paint code on the trim if was stripe delete car . He worked  for gm. Hope this helps.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 05:22:49 AM »
See reply#33
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
Z28's would show the "-" special paint code on the cowl tag so that Fisher wouldn't paint the trunck stripes, but all other stripes we GM's to paint and they didn't use any of the codes on Fishers tag to determine what options went on the car.  Heck the front end wasn't even near the rear body tub when it was painted, it was in a separate paint booth, and was never near the body until it was installed.

If he's got an L78 with a dash paint code it has to have been be a non standard color originally, or a color paint that was discontinued earlier in the model year.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »
Z28's would show the "-" special paint code on the cowl tag so that Fisher wouldn't paint the trunck stripes, but all other stripes we GM's to paint and they didn't use any of the codes on Fishers tag to determine what options went on the car.  Heck the front end wasn't even near the rear body tub when it was painted, it was in a separate paint booth, and was never near the body until it was installed.

If he's got an L78 with a dash paint code it has to have been be a non standard color originally, or a color paint that was discontinued earlier in the model year.
If I understand your point, Mark, you are saying the dash(s) on the TT only pertained to work performed by Fisher (cowl on back), so that front striping delete (non-Fisher work)would not show a dash on the TT. Correct?
First, I am not sure that I agree. Having said that, I am certainly no expert on any of the ordering, building, selling or any other operation involved with production of early Camaros. I do have a 69 L48 car with 2 dashes on tag where paint code is located. I wondered why this was the case as the color appears to be standard color (LeMans Blue) and, in my case, no stripes were deleted. KurtS pointed out that the dashes are probably because the D90 stripes are white, but the car has a black vinyl top, the default color shows a black top would get black stripes! Now, I am not sure were the default color change (dashes) affected the top or the stripes? I mean, was it ordered with a black top (default stripe color was black) and a requested the white stripe or was it ordered with the white stripe and a change in V. top color? The later example would point to the Fisher end of production. This would support what you say, but , in fact, is this the case?
The second point: The last sentence regarding the L78, being this is a Big Block car, couldn't the paint delete be the tail panel black(Fisher side)?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »
I will have to respectfully disagree with you Mark.

I fully believe that the " - - " was used for stripe changes and/or deletion as well as special colors.  This would give everyone (Fisher or GM) a heads up to look at the buildsheet to verify color/stripe/whatever change.

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »
Adding my 2 cents...... from info I have gathered most of which has been at this sight....the dash method didn't start until the 68's and was nothing or 0-0 paint code then. But any fleet order or special paint order would cause this to appear on cowl tag. Special paint meaning other than standard or stripe delete or color changes to same.
Brad
RSSS

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
some of the 1967 Pace Cars and Yenko L78 Camaros have a dash or a dash and a number on the bottom line of the trim tag

It showed there was some type of special order

On the 1967 Yenkos, there was no known special parts or special paint and not all of them had the special order tag
some just have a dash , some have a dash and a number, some have neither

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »
kolektor,
 I have never seen a La mans blue car with black stripes from the factory, V.T. or not. Marina blue? yes. where did you see that La mans default stripe color information?
      VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible