Author Topic: Question About VIN and NCRS Shipping Report  (Read 6216 times)

Vince

• View Profile
Question About VIN and NCRS Shipping Report
« on: August 26, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
I am a bit confused and am asking for you experts to chime in.  My car's VIN is 124377N178723 and the date on the Trim Tag is 01D.  Does this VIN correlate with the time frame on the TT?  The NCRS Shipping Report that I received for this VIN shows the GM official production date as 2/21/67.  It seems to me this is way too long a time frame from the TT date to the production date; or is this within normal time frames? 
Finally on the NCRS report the delivery dealer listed is code 0 in zone 28 and the dealer address as simply Cleveland Zone Office.  Can anyone give me any insight into what exactly this means and if an actual dealership name can be determined.  Thank you. 

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Question About VIN and NCRS Shipping Report
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »
Vin matches the production date.  The trim tag being off by almost a month is a little odd..  Have you checked the hidden vins?  If it checks out then what kind of options does the car have? 

No info from me on the dealer codes..

And yes I realize I am not an expert..

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:34 AM »
The VIN and the build date on the cowl tag match up very well for the 01D build week body number should be somewhere near 784xxx.  The car should have been shipped around January 21 (actually a bit later like 1/23) not February 21st.  I suspect you have a Typo on you NCRS document, wouldn't be the first one.  Whats the full info on the body tag.  Zone office delivery can mean all kinds of things, a special order car for a GM exec, something for a national car show, or a demonstrator.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 02:36:15 AM »
My car's VIN is 124377N178723 and the date on the Trim Tag is 01D. 

??? ??? ???

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
Yup, and note all the caveats with the asterisk. :)

I think the ship date is correct. NOR was on strike that month.
25 Jan 67 - Norwood on strike.
20 Feb 67 - Norwood strike ends.
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »
Kurt I understand the caveats but the vin for the last of the months was my point that the shipping date made sense..  I also was not sure if a shortage or strike at the end of Jan - Feb was the reason for the low production numbers for Feb..

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
I've got shipper paperwork for two 7N1767XX Camaros that shipped from Norwood on 1/21, and this car should probably have shipped on 1/23/67, or the 24th at the latest, so the shipping date for this car does not make sense unless they couldn't get this particular car out of the plant before the strike shutdown shipping, or they handled Shipping of Zone cars different than the other regular cars.  24th of February was a Friday, 21st was a Tuesday.  The last VINs for  January and February are off, and December's appears to be some effort to inflate the yearly total.  Remember plants were paid based on the cars produced.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:17 PM »
Vin matches the production date.  The trim tag being off by almost a month is a little odd..  Have you checked the hidden vins?  If it checks out then what kind of options does the car have? 

No info from me on the dealer codes..

And yes I realize I am not an expert..
The hidden VIN under the cowl vents matches the VIN inside the driver's side door.  It's an RS/SS with the MU coded 350, power glide trans, and QK coded 3.31 posi rear end.  It has a vinyl top, AM-FM radio with 8 track, power windows, remote driver's side door mirror, rear window defogger, under hood, trunk and glove box lighting, and a console.  Thanks Darrell for your help and info. 

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
The VIN and the build date on the cowl tag match up very well for the 01D build week body number should be somewhere near 784xxx.  The car should have been shipped around January 21 (actually a bit later like 1/23) not February 21st.  I suspect you have a Typo on you NCRS document, wouldn't be the first one.  Whats the full info on the body tag.  Zone office delivery can mean all kinds of things, a special order car for a GM exec, something for a national car show, or a demonstrator.
The body number is 78657.  I'll try to post a photo of the body tag.  Thanks Mark.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
Yup, and note all the caveats with the asterisk. :)

I think the ship date is correct. NOR was on strike that month.
25 Jan 67 - Norwood on strike.
20 Feb 67 - Norwood strike ends.
Thanks Kurt for the info on the strike.  I didn't realize one happened at this time.  That could be the reason for such a long time period between the dates on my car. 

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »
Here's the best photo I could get of the trim tag.  Ah, it won't let me do it; says the file size is too large, larger than 500kb.   

anything