Author Topic: Heater core wA/C questions  (Read 2965 times)

AustinCraig

• View Profile
Heater core wA/C questions
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:21:49 PM »
Greetings all,I have a small block 1969 Camaro w/factory A/C.Would the Heater Core holes be in the same place on/in the firewall for a Big block car w/A/C as they are in a Small block car w A/C?Are the Small block A/C Radiator cores the same as a Big block a/c radiator cores?Anybody know where I can find a set of 8x15 Cragar Supertrick wheels w/4" backspace for my car?Anybody know where to find a vintage Lakewood 3 point rollbar?Thanks.440 885 4816

69 Zee

• View Profile
Re: Heater core wA/C questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »
Welcome..I think..lol

Sounds like your wanting to drop in a BB.  If so there's a few more things you'll need to change and that's the engine frame mounts and tweek the Trans cross member in case your unaware.

Yes the heater core is the same though the holes in the firewall are in a different location.  Just drill new holes and plug up the others.

The wheels and roll bar both being vintage may make them difficult to find or pricey if you do.  Only cause of those looking to restore a nostalgic drag car.

I have seen them out there but not the easiest to find.   I'd suggest CL, swap meets or ebay as your best chances.

Btw...I hope your wanting roll bar for the nostalgic look and not relying on it's safety...just saying   :D

Hope that helps
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »
The heater cores in an A/C car have tubes that come thru the heater duct in the engine compartment in the same location as big block non A/C cars do but the firewalls are completely different.  You can not just yank the A/C suitcase off the wall and put a BBC engine compartment heater duct on the firewall because the cutout thru the firewall on an A/C car is taller than the height of the duct.  You will have about a 2" gap in the firewall above and below the duct in the engine compartment if you do that.  If your thinking of just dropping a BBC in a small block A/C car and keeping the A/C note that the evaporator case are different with the big block ones being angled more towards the fend to gain a little bit more clearance.  The BBC will hit the small block evaporator case on the lower inside corner and it will probably be next to impossible to get the number 8 spark plug out of the engine.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »
Would the Heater Core holes be in the same place on/in the firewall for a Big block car w/A/C as they are in a Small block car w A/C?Are the Small block A/C Radiator cores the same as a Big block a/c radiator cores?

A/C heater cores are the same for all engines in a 69. Location is the same. So, yes you can put a BB A/C where a sb A/C goes.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

luv2sixty9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
The left side and or half of the outer AC Box closer to the engine is different between sb and bb
1967 Z/28 Butternut Yellow
1969 Z/28 Rally Green
1969 RS Z/28 Lemans Blue
1969 RS Z/28 Olympic Gold
1969 RS SS Pace Car
2010 Aqua Blue 2SS RS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
Both sides are different, you can not put a big block engine side A/C suitcase half on a small block fender side A/C suitcase half.  The angle on the dividing line between the two halves are different, and they won't line up properly.  You can however use the whole suitcase from a 400 firebird as it has the same angle as the BBC suitcase used in the Camaros.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11