Author Topic: 'Questionable' or FAKE cars.... Hemmings article  (Read 4784 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
'Questionable' or FAKE cars.... Hemmings article
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »
There was an interesting article in the Hemmings Daily email today concerning an italian car which seemingly had a different data plate on it, which sold at auction for $332,000, then was negated due to questions, and the car finally seized by German authorities to resolve the issue.   Just a prime example of some similar things we've seen and heard about in Camaro circles the past few years...   worth reading.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/04/03/sale-halted-on-alleged-prototype-iso-grifo-amid-questions-of-its-authenticity/?refer=news

Some Camaro 'fakers' need to read and take heed (not that there's any here on CRG), but I'm sure we all know of, or have heard of one or more.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: 'Questionable' or FAKE cars.... Hemmings article
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
Most interesting! I always like the topics that Hemmings bring to the forefront of the hobby. That last sentence about 2 stolen Iso's from Italy, I have a feeling, sums up the this car's identity. I guess more will come out as the facts surface.
On a side: I maintain a couple of antique car collections. One owner is deceased and the cars are in the estate. I worked on the cars when the owner was alive, but contracted with the Executrix's to do a monthly start up and keep cars in running order. I thought this would be short term, but now going on 3 years of doing this service. I am not sure what the status of the cars are, but I advised the owner when still living(of course) that he needed to get the cars titles straightened out. He apparently was not too concerned as he did not do as I suggested. Some of his cars where bought at auction, out of state. He never got some of these cars put in his name, I believe this as there is an out of state inspection needed for Ohio titles, which I offered to take care of. This could be what is holding up dispersal of the cars. I can only speculate as the heirs do not keep me informed as to the car's status's. All the cars are pre-war verts. all $100k plus, or close to, type vehicles. Most here, if not all, are diligent in documentation, I hope. Just a reminder, if anyone has something clouded or unresolved, that getting your affairs in order before you leave this Earth is my advice,nuff said.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
You would think before they put down the big bucks they would know PCV valves did appear in chevy valve covers until 68.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
Amazingly fresh pop rivets on the body tag. Reminds me of some bogus TT's we've witnessed. Evidently fakers grow in Europe as well as in the U.S. of A -

If they had used giant sheet metal screws I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Regards - 
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
That body tag is not even used on Grifos. That I believe is for a snowmobile. The # would have been stamped into a steel plate that is welded. I'm not sure why anyone would think someone over in Europe know when we started using PCV valves.

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
Most interesting! I always like the topics that Hemmings bring to the forefront of the hobby. That last sentence about 2 stolen Iso's from Italy, I have a feeling, sums up the this car's identity. I guess more will come out as the facts surface.
On a side: I maintain a couple of antique car collections. One owner is deceased and the cars are in the estate. I worked on the cars when the owner was alive, but contracted with the Executrix's to do a monthly start up and keep cars in running order. I thought this would be short term, but now going on 3 years of doing this service. I am not sure what the status of the cars are, but I advised the owner when still living(of course) that he needed to get the cars titles straightened out. He apparently was not too concerned as he did not do as I suggested. Some of his cars where bought at auction, out of state. He never got some of these cars put in his name, I believe this as there is an out of state inspection needed for Ohio titles, which I offered to take care of. This could be what is holding up dispersal of the cars. I can only speculate as the heirs do not keep me informed as to the car's status's. All the cars are pre-war verts. all $100k plus, or close to, type vehicles. Most here, if not all, are diligent in documentation, I hope. Just a reminder, if anyone has something clouded or unresolved, that getting your affairs in order before you leave this Earth is my advice,nuff said.

Very dumb not putting title in his name. I'm sure the reason is because he didn't want to pay the sales tax. Big problem is that technically the title is still in the previous owners name. They could still claim ownership. I've tried to buy a few cars that guys are selling with open titles like that. I always tell them the title has to be in their name first or I won't buy it.

Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »
it is interesting that they claim it is a prototype which makes it more difficult to authenticate

They will probably get it figured out since the production numbers are low there is a better chance the collectors can figure out what the car is and where it came from

much more difficult with a Camaro where there were over 200K built

anything