Author Topic: Stupid question of the day  (Read 6637 times)

ratflinger

• View Profile
Stupid question of the day
« on: September 26, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »
Years ago, unfortunately, I owned a 69 what was marked as Z/28 RS SS.  I guy I know has independantly reported seeing a different car marked the same in California (mine was in Dallas).  My brother bought this car in the 74-76 time frame & I bought it from him in about 82.  Sold it in 85.  I can see no reason for anyone to add SS markings to this car, as this early in it's life it wasn't worth the astronomical figures you see today.  I am sure it was at least a Z/28-RS as it had the RS interior & hide-away lights, for the Z part it had a DZ engine, M22, & 4.10.  Now everyone calls me an idiot for claiming to own such a car, & maybe it was bubba'd, but I'd still like to know.  So the question is:

In 69 was a SS/RS-Z/28 possible?

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
Re: Stupid question of the day
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:06:21 AM »
in a word:  no

Even though it had nothing to do with the rising values of these cars you see today, it wasnt uncommon for emblems/stripes/etc. to be added to these cars back when they were still fairly new.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:32:03 PM »
Actually, "modifying" was a popular past time in the 60s and 70s.  In fact, lots of us who are restoring in the 00s got our start modifying back then.  Reasons: the Z label was popular, hideaway headlights were cool, and the Y chromosome (make that the Why-not chromosome).
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:42:09 AM »
NO SS emblems were on the 1st-Gen Zs. To have a Super Sport the car would have to be a 350 or big-block car. The 302 was exclusive to the Z/28s. Rally Sport was a trim option and had nothing to do with the drivetrain and could be ordered on a 6-banger! Sounds like you've been Bubba'd. But we've all been there. Still trying to picture where all the emblems would go...chuckle
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »
Lakehome is very correct-living in "the day" as they call it- the sixtys was high perf .......I can remember the car books and the real streets and what was being drivin on them and what all my friends and I drove-horsepower and emblems were a big deal and we did the same things they do now. If they didnot have it -they made it look like they did. The horsepower wars among the big three auto makers made the sixtys a wonderful time.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
We took the emblems off our 68-69 AMX's so you had to guess what was under the hood. Because the car had if I remember correclty 4 different V-8's available and like the SBC you could not tell the difference unless you know how to read the VIN.
I got to agree with all the rest, there was not a Z/RS/SS available in 67,68 or 69.

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:31:37 PM »
I too added emblems to a few cars.  My 68 "302" Camaro was quickly upgraded to a Z/28 after I purchased it in 1971.  At the time I did not understand why it did not have the Z emblems to begin with.  I still have the 302 embems(wish I still had the car)

I also upgraded my first car, a 62 Chevy Biscayne , to Belaire status.  A friend also upgraded his 283 1966 SS Impala, to a 396 big block all with a trip to the junkyard and a purchase of some used front fender emblems.

When you can't afford what you want, you do the next best thing, change the emblems.

Merry Christmas,
Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

anything