Author Topic: 1967 Camaro Worm Gear Clamps for A/C Lines  (Read 3970 times)

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
1967 Camaro Worm Gear Clamps for A/C Lines
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:06:46 AM »
Hello everyone- I am nearing the end of my restoration and I am getting ready to get the A/C finalized.  I had the A6 compressor rebuilt, the POA rebuilt, the Dryer cut and rebuilt and the condenser and evaporator flushed. The system is clean.  I am going to be using R12 again-quite expensive.  Here is my question:

I am torn on whether to use the original style worm gear clamps or have the pressure fittings put on.  I am going for a concourse restoration but I also want the A/C to work.  Has anyone had experience with the original clamps on todays A/C hoses? I understand the hoses, with the nylon inside, leak over time with the worm clamps.

I appreciate any advice the group can provide.

Thanks,

Jerry   

67 nut

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Camaro Worm Gear Clamps for A/C Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:04:57 AM »
I completed my A/C restoration three years ago (1967 convertible).  I too, went with R12, and used the worm gear clamps with the positioning arm.  I haven't had any problems but have re- torked the clamps as per the AIM as the rubber hoses do compress.  Install the clamps with the arm at the end of the hose, and the hose installed to the stop collar.
The arm positions the clamp over the three raised ridges on the aluminum tubing.

Steve

The difference between a hobby and insanity is .0000001" 
Steve  '67 RS convertible, factory a/c, parchment interior

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:37 AM »
Several shops I talk to about rebuilding a R12 compressor said they don't last, and less then a year warranty. Sanden is one.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

67 nut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:03:09 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread as it was about worm gear clamps on todays hoses.  I'm curious if Sanden is rebuilding the A6 compressors with the double lip seal, the original two piece seal, or if they desire to market new replacement compressors?

Steve

The difference between insanity and a hobby is .0000001"
Steve  '67 RS convertible, factory a/c, parchment interior

anything