Author Topic: Stripping  (Read 10212 times)

Bertrum

• View Profile
Stripping
« on: November 11, 2005, 06:56:07 PM »
I was wondering what the consensis was on paint stripping. Once you get down to the body do you blast,paint stripper or dip. also the subframe, powdercoat or another type of coating. thanks.

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Stripping
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 10:44:48 PM »
If you can find someone in your area, have it plastic media blasted. It does a great job of stripping paint ONLY, will not touch rust or old body work. The benafit is no stress to the metal, like sand or glass. I've heard horror stories about dipping, the chemicals hide in cracks or crevices and come back out to ruin your new paint. Just an opinion.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 06:25:04 AM »
Ive heard the storie bout chemicals hiding. But not only are ther stories...its expensive..in some cases mabye id pay the price..but not on a plain jane car. I wonder if the stories are true?
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

Bertrum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 10:11:15 PM »
I was thinking about a rotisserie and a gallon can of paint stripper like the body shop suggested and was wondering if anybody had done that.  There is a blasting place near me but I haven't researched what kind of material they use.  That would save me building a rotisserie, but I'm concerned about the damage it might do to the body. 

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:36:23 PM »
Several years ago I had a body stripped by a media blaster.  I believe that the substance being used to remove the paint was crushed walnut shells in some configuration.  There was NO damage to the body of any kind. I've been told that the process will remove paint from bondo without lifting the bondo.  I was lucky, there was no bondo on the car but the finished product was beautiful to behold and provided the basis for a great paint job.

c

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 11:36:43 PM »
My car is at the body shop as we speak.two body/restoration shops told me if the exterior panels were sandblasted they wouldn't touch it.Sandblasting warps the metal and makes it wavey!Its ok to do firewall,door jambs,trunk and floor areas.I had my car soda blasted(they use baking soda)it was expensive and a mess.It removes paint and only paint no rubber,rust,caulk however once done the bare metal doesn't rust for about a month you wash it with vineger to neutralize the baking soda and rust is instantaineous.My bodyman told me if I'm using a chemical stripper to tape all the seams where the metal over laps to prevent the stripper from seeping between the metal only to leech out later.haven't done the hood or trunk yet,sodas a mess,don't like the leeching and taping can't sand blast so I'm leanig toward media blasting.wow that took a while

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:14:03 PM »
...BODY PANELS: Plastic media blast is the way to go, (or walnut shells, ...as mentioned above).  But Plastic media blasting should be fairly available in most parts, ...it's not that expensive (roughly $300 to do a car) and it does an awsome job, (many places will come to you to do the job). I've been through this a number of times, ...with my own cars and with a shop I work at part time. What is 'neat' about it, is that it ISN'T harsh on the metal, ...actually leaves the metal surface 'clean'/smooth. The plastic media isn't abrasive and doesn't leave any residue, ...other than getting the vacuum out and cleaning up the stuff that blew around.
   I wouldn't do it any other way...

...SUBFRAME: Depending on how bad it is,...you may want to conside sand blasting here. Once it's all cleaned up ready for coating, ...it depends on how much you want to spend. If not too tight on the budget, ...Powder coating is definitely an option (the results are awsome). Other than that, ...you may want to look into the POR products http://www.por15.com/ , ...which are not bad themselves...

Kevin

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 01:18:13 PM by KevinK »

anything