Author Topic: VN built 69 Camaro with a Firebird VIN on the transmission?  (Read 8197 times)

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
Re: VN built 69 Camaro with a Firebird VIN on the transmission?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2021, 01:17:19 AM »
A little more information:

I checked the decklid for date codes, and it has a date code that falls in line with the build of the car.  That is an old sticker that has not been applied any time recently.  And why would someone put a Firebird jack sticker on a Camaro decklid many years after the fact?  When people fake things, they try to make them look as close to the norms as possible.

I was looking through my documents and came across the paperwork from when the second owner purchased the car in 1971 from Ellis Brooks Chevrolet in San Francisco.  On it is an imprint of the original protecto-plate for the car, showing the correct VIN that matches the car, the assembly date stamp that matches the engine, the exact same date stamp that appears on the transmission, and the rear end stamping.  In my mind, this puts this to rest as some type of factory aberration.  I think the odds that someone found a Muncie M-20 with the exact same stamp as the protecto-plate, along with a stange VIN that happens to have the Los Angeles "L" in the sequence are extremely slim.  If someone stamped the date on the case at a later date, why would the not stamp a matching VIN to the car as well?  This date code stamping on the transmission has already been verified as a legitimate stamping.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:44:26 AM by RSSSFanatic »

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
Well with that info, I would say that the Vin was a goof up and not a Firebird VIN but a Goofed Camaro VIN. The seat and sticker who knows.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty goofy. :)

So how do you describe a car like this?  I suppose technically it's not "numbers matching", or at least not "VIN matching".  I guess you would describe it as "documented original drivetrain"?  Just curious in case I decide to list it somewhere.  Seems like you get a lot of grey area on this and some shady wording by some, although I think this car is about as honest as they come.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 02:24:35 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty goofy. :)

So how do you describe a car like this?  I suppose technically it's not "numbers matching", or at least not "VIN matching".  I guess you would describe it as "documented original drivetrain"?  Just curious in case I decide to list it somewhere.  Seems like you get a lot of grey area on this and some shady wording by some, although I think this car is about as honest as they come.
“Born With Drive train” that term trumps all others as to describing a legitimate number matching car and that is how it should be referred. Anyone that knows these cars will understand what that means.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
The date on the POP for transmission assembly is the same as what is on the transmission. Now I am thinking there is a better than average chance of it being original to the car. The engine and axle are original.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything