Author Topic: Original die cast finish on Turbo 400 trans case  (Read 7152 times)

mrdetails

• View Profile
Original die cast finish on Turbo 400 trans case
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with restoring the original die cast appearance to transmission cases? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thks.:
Sam

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Original die cast finish on Turbo 400 trans case
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:11:28 AM »
Clean it well and spray it with Krylon Dull Aluminum. Looks very close. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
If youre having it rebuilt, the trans shop should be able to bring the case back to clean aluminum like it should be.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:46:08 PM »
For gods sake don't let the transmission shop glass bead it or blast it with steel shot or something like that... they will ruin the finish and it will never be the same.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 03:30:09 AM »
My trans guy uses a type of "hot tank" cleaning on the cases.  Not sure of what it is exactly, but non abrasive and definately no paint.  I think its fairly common.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the info...the problem realy is corosion (I live in upstate New York) which leaves the aluminum case pitted. No amount of cleaning can fix that. I  believe the cases were die cast which would leave a smooth finish, mine looks as if it were sand cast. Does anyone know if new cases are available? Maybe I should try to find a case (or whole trans.) from out west. Any sugestions?
Thks.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 04:58:13 PM »
Talk to Jerry MacNeish about re-skinning the transmission.  I don't know if it's been done before, but why couldn't it.

If you're thinking about a new case, or a donor case from out west, money must not be that big of an object for you.
Try Jerry and see what he has to say.  I've heard good things about his re-skinning process.

BTW, what car are you restoring this THM400 for anyway?

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
Steve: Thanks for your reply. The problem with the trans case is as I stated, corosion from being in NY state. The case was all pitted and almost looks like it was sand blasted. I'am going to have to sand it with 220 then 500 then scotch-bright, being carefull not to lose detail, I guess. Then I will use something like phosphoric acid to return the gray as cast finish.
The car is a 69 los-angeles car 01d. It spent most of it's adult life in Arizona. I thought that would be a good thing (no rust to speak of) but I have never seen a car so worn out in my life. Next to nothing was re-usable except sheet metal. No two bolts matched on the entire car... most were missing.All rubber and palstic parts were totally dried out and would break apart in your hands.
The car has a work order no. on the cowl tag of P116, which, I gather, means nothing. It appears to have been a rs-ss car (12 bolt, dual exhaust, front disc and large hole in fire wall for vacuum hoses or cowl ing. wiring) hard to tell for sure.
I found an aluminum 427 (my friend at the engine shop had it, he got it from someone in PA) I got it from him and plan to do the car as one of the one's Fred Gibbs had made. I even got a column shift for the automatic. Some people would call it a clone..I pefer Frankenstine, sense nothing will be done on a celular level. I just collect parts from the grave yards.....
This site has been a great help to me and I'm curious how John Z keeps the bottom of his car so nice being an original non-restored car?
Thks again:
Sam

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:51:47 PM »
This site has been a great help to me and I'm curious how John Z keeps the bottom of his car so nice being an original non-restored car?
Thks again:
Sam

As I posted in that thread, the photo isn't my car; the underside of my car doesn't look anywhere near that good - looks like you'd expect to see under a 37-year-old car. :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG