Author Topic: Retrofitting Tic-Toc-Tach into a std coupe?  (Read 5534 times)

VXC961

• View Profile
Retrofitting Tic-Toc-Tach into a std coupe?
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:25:57 AM »

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody on the board has put a repro tic-toc-tach in where the fuel gauge is?  I thought I remembered reading in the catalogs that this was possible, but I'd like to know for sure before I start.  Also, any quality issues with these reproduction tachs?

Thanks,

OCB

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Retrofitting Tic-Toc-Tach into a std coupe?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:55:54 AM »
You'd need a console with gauges because with that option the fuel gauge was moved to the console. I've done this conversion for a friend and it's pretty straightforward if you're handy with a wrench and understand wiring schematics. You'll have to take the fuse box apart and of course, drop the steering column to get the original gauge pod out.  That's over and above all the stuff to add the console, which is considerable, for the oil pressure gauge needs a hard line, and the ammeter and water temp gauges need rewiring, the console will need its own fasteners and shifter hardware... etc.  Figure in some serious downtime if you drive the car regularly. If you already have a console it's much easier to add the gauge pod to it, though, as was the case of my friend. I have no experience with repro tachs, but a good kit will have ALL the correct wiring to fit it into the original GM looms and fuse box as the factory did it. I don't mean to throw water on your idea, but it's not an afternoon job if your car doesn't already have a console. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

VXC961

• View Profile
Re: Retrofitting Tic-Toc-Tach into a std coupe?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »

No problem--the car's already got console gauges.  Thanks!

anything