CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 05:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105652 Posts in 12336 Topics by 4753 Members
Latest Member: stpatrick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Decoding/Numbers
| | |-+  Cowl Tag Check
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: Cowl Tag Check  (Read 2147 times)
vtfb68

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »

What about the other body with the TT AND the hidden VIN's?  another questionable car. How many original parts does it take to make a fake?
   VT

05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
"In the pursuit of accuracy"
cook_dw

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

Again, just my opinion, but...

If the VIN tag stays on the original body, and each part replaced is done one at a time and documented with photos at each step, that is probably OK.

Moving the VIN tag from a car to another body is not OK. 

I understand that but what if the cowl & dash needed to be replaced and the tag & vin & hidden vins had to be moved to new pieces? Would that not be similar if not the same.  Im not busting your balls just wonder when the gray area ends and the line begins.

Darrell Cook

1967 LeMans Blue SS/RS L35 clone
1968 Rallye Green SS L78 - unrestored original
1968 Matador Red Z28
bcmiller
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »

Just my opinion, but those are not the same, and law enforcement knows the difference.

Panel replacement (and documenting each step) is probably OK and is not the "easy way out". 

Moving a VIN tag to a rust free body is a VIN swap.

1968 Camaro SS - now 468 BBC, M21, 12 bolt.
Bryon
Mark
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »

Moving a vin tag, and sheet metal sections with the hidden vin numbers on it from one car to another body that had a different VIN on it originally is a felony in every state in the union.  Moving a VIN tag, and hidden vins numbers from one car to a replica body like a Dynacorn is OK, as the Dynacorn body is considered a large replacement part, it was never a car before the VINs were transfered to it.  That said, whats a ZL1 VIN tag on a replacement body with a non original engine and drivetrain worth?  don't know but it shouldn't be much higher than 0.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
jdv69z

69 RS Z/28 52E

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 03:17:11 PM »

I agree with Mark. If the ZL1 is all about the aluminum 427, and the original motor is gone, I don't feel what's left is all that special. Certainly not 6 figures special. Same with a Z without the 302. To me, it's about what it is, not what it was.

Jimmy V.
VINCE Z28

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 03:50:59 PM »

So is a rebody like this ZL1 legal?

" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.
Mark
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »

Not if the donor body had a VIN number originally, ie it was another 69 Camaro made by GM.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
69Z28-RS

owner since '76

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »

Moving a vin tag, and sheet metal sections with the hidden vin numbers on it from one car to another body that had a different VIN on it originally is a felony in every state in the union.  ...

That's correct, because that is one method employed by auto thieves, to hide the VIN of the car they've stolen...

...Moving a VIN tag, and hidden vins numbers from one car to a replica body like a Dynacorn is OK, as the Dynacorn body is considered a large replacement part, it was never a car before the VINs were transfered to it.  ...

This statement would seem to imply that it's not the 'application of a VIN' to a autobody that is illegal, but the actual removal of a VIN from a factory built auto body that is illegal...?   If so, wouldn't it be an illegal act to remove the VIN from the rusted/damaged car *(ZL1)*  in this example case???   Does this suggest that law enforcement authorities could discern that the body the VIN was applied to was a 'dynacorn' rather than a stolen car body (but we can't??)..

... That said, whats a ZL1 VIN tag on a replacement body with a non original engine and drivetrain worth?  don't know but it shouldn't be much higher than 0.

All it says to me is that the person (owner) at one time had possession of a ZL1 body, before he cut it up (assuming the plate were original)...  not much different than holding the registration slip of a ZL1 (or ??) that you bought/owned at one time, but now don't...

Gary W.  /  69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood all tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe (2), 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, '57 Nomad, '57 B/A Sedan
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: