Author Topic: Sinkhole in the Corvette Museum  (Read 29894 times)

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
Re: Sinkhole in the Corvette Museum
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:01 AM »
I am not sure why they thought it would be a good idea to start and drive the car before thoroughly checking it out, but they probably won't try that a second time. Look at the massive oil leak when they drive off. Probably shut it off just in time before running dry.
Don't these cars have a low oil pressure warning?

Jump right to 2:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzJ9RQn_58&list=UUkMEB53zhxtxbijEVl2YeWA&feature=share&index=8

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 03:15:24 AM »
I did notice that. After having tied rebar together for years it seamed strange I couldn't make out any in the pic. It seems as the years have gone by they have required the rebar to closer and tighter together and more of it. Also on some of the larger jobs I was involved in, (one of which was about the same size as the museum they required a separate Storm sewer based on the square footage of the building and water run off. You could have parked 3 cars in the storm sewer, it was huge. This was built about 1996 in washington state. I am not sure what year the museum was built, but I assume it was up to local code.

I've been concerned and wondering about the construction of that slab since the day it fell into the sinkhole.  The slab itself didn't seem to be structural, but I was also surprised no rebar or wire in the slab (or at least none noticeable).  'So called' fiberglass strands in concrete is a 'gimmick' to get around rebar or wire mesh (IMO).   I have no idea what the code was in Kentucky when the Museum was built between 1992 and 1994.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »
Thats the 2001 Mallett Hammer.  It will probably buff right out, no problem.

Before:

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
Wonder if there are sinkholes waiting to open up under the I-65 which runs very close to the Museum .....  ???

Jim

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
Why are they displaying them until August? Trying to bring in the folks who love to see wrecks at races?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
Why are they displaying them until August? Trying to bring in the folks who love to see wrecks at races?

in late August (leading up to Labor Day weekend event) will occur the 20th anniversary of the NCM grand opening, and the National Caravan to it.  I think they will have the cars on display thru that event for all the Corvette enthusiasts visiting and attending that weekend.  I will be driving one of my Corvettes in the Caravan also, as I also drove in the two prior Caravans to the NCM.. The Caravans were 'nationwide' events, with caravans beginning as long as a week in advance in the far reached of the country, then adding cars as they got closer to the NCM..   The First One (for the NCM grand opening) was amazing, as the Governor of Kentucky at the time CLOSED interstate 65 thru Kentucky for the Caravan.. we were the only cars on the Interstate that day... :)     It was neat, but there were so many PO'ed truckers and other travelers that were surprised by this, I don't think it will ever happen again.. :)

Gary

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
NCM Museum Board finalized decision (released today via email to NCM members):

"The National Corvette Museum Board of Directors held their quarterly meeting and finalized plans for repair of the Museum’s Skydome building, and the eight Corvettes affected by the February 12, 2014 sinkhole collapse.
After careful review of additional information and revised plans with price quotes from the construction company, the board voted to completely fill in the sinkhole.
“We really wanted to preserve a portion of the hole so that guests for years to come could see a little bit of what it was like, but after receiving more detailed pricing, the cost outweighs the benefit,” said Museum Executive Director Wendell Strode.  “At the June board meeting, the information available at that time indicated a cost of around $500,000 more to keep the hole, but after incorporating additional safety features and vapor barriers for humidity control, the price tag rose to $1 million more than the cost to put the Skydome back how it was.”
Keeping even a portion of the sinkhole would require 35 foot retaining walls to be built inside of the sinkhole, additional micro piling, visible steel beams running through the hole, and soil nailing.  All of these additional structural features are to ensure the safety of the sinkhole and prevent cracking and breaking of the sides in the future, which could result in stability issues, but take away from the natural look of the original sinkhole.  The board also considered future maintenance issues that could arise if the hole was kept and the possibility that the hole wouldn’t look like a naturally occurring sinkhole any longer.
“The interest in our new attraction has been phenomenal so we do plan to leave it ‘as-is’ through our Vets ‘n Vettes event November 6-8, 2014, after which time we will begin the process of remediating and filling the hole,” Strode added.
Chevrolet and the National Corvette Museum will restore three of the Corvettes that were damaged when they were swallowed up by the sinkhole.
Chevrolet will restore the 2009 Corvette ZR1 prototype, known as the Blue Devil, and the 1-millionth Corvette produced – a white 1992 convertible. The GM Heritage Center will oversee this process.  In addition, the restoration of the 1962 Corvette will be funded by Chevrolet, but will be handled by the National Corvette Museum.  A restoration shop has not yet been determined.  The remaining five cars were determined to be too badly damaged to warrant restoration.  They will remain in their as-recovered state to preserve the historical significance of the cars and what happened on February 12, 2014.  They will become part of a future display at the Museum.
In total, General Motors will provide nearly $250,000 in support to help the Museum recover from the sinkhole. The National Corvette Museum celebrates its 20th anniversary this weekend as it welcomes the Corvette enthusiasts nationwide who have helped expand and support the non-profit Museum.
“Our goal was to help the National Corvette Museum recover from a terrible natural disaster by restoring all eight cars,” said Mark Reuss, GM Executive Vice President, Global Product Development. “However, as the cars were recovered, it became clear that restoration would be impractical because so little was left to repair. And, frankly, there is some historical value in leaving those cars to be viewed as they are.”
It’s a sentiment echoed by Corvette enthusiasts from around the globe.
“There has been an outpouring of messages from enthusiasts the world over, asking us not to restore all of the cars,” said Wendell Strode, executive director for the National Corvette Museum. “For Corvette enthusiasts, the damage to the cars is part of their history, and part narrative of the National Corvette Museum. Restoring them all would negate the significance of what happened.”
Timelines for the start and projected completion dates for the three Corvettes’ restorations have not been established. They will be announced later."