Author Topic: Trouble Shooting the Low Fuel light  (Read 3786 times)

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
Trouble Shooting the Low Fuel light
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
I think I have done all I can to trouble shoot my low fuel light not coming on but wanted to post this and see if I have missed anything.

1. I have grounded the light at the dash and the bulb illuminates.
2. I have unplugged the connector in the trunk for the gas gauge, and grounded it. The gauge goes to empty but the low fuel does not illuminate.
3. I have checked the three wires from the low fuel module and they are all connected to the fuel gauge. The plug with the yellow wire going to it is connected under the gauge cluster in the console.
4. I have confirmed the wiring harness at the back of the console is connected.

I guess I am going to have to replace the module at this point. UNLESS anyone has any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this. I am looking for a bad connection or loose wire etc. Not sure where else to look. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lawrence
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

Leon in Mn.

• View Profile
Re: Trouble Shooting the Low Fuel light
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
Don't know if this helps you but I had a problem with the low fuel light on my 67 Camaro not coming on.   After closer inspection, I  found out someone plugged in the low fuel light socket behind the dash wrong, it had burned out the printed circuit behind the dash, even tho it was in the right hole/location.   On mine, the yellow wire (metal light socket) plugs into the dash FIRST, (to ground the light) THEN, install the printed circuit, pulling the yellow wire lead through the hole in the printed circuit, then connect the wire.  If you plug it into the printed circuit, after the printed circuit is already installed, it will ground out the printed circuit and burn it.   My Camaro was made in the 3rd week of March 1967.  RS/SS 396 with 3 speed auto.  Maybe there are variations.    Hope this helps you or someone. 

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
Re: Trouble Shooting the Low Fuel light
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply. heiferduster. I am pretty sure the 67 and 68 - 69 are a little different. The 68 69 require a ground for the light to illuminate.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles