Author Topic: Stainless Chambered exhaust  (Read 32938 times)

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Re: Stainless Chambered exhaust
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 01:36:12 AM »
Got a chance to look at the chambered exhaust I bought and it is aluminized steel not stainless. No biggy. Was checking out hanger kits and was thinking about using D&R's Z00001 hanger kit...see pic. Been looking for close up shots on line of the hangers installed but most are so small it is hard to make out how they are installed. Anybody have some close ups of the hanger clamp areas? Also I'm assuming I need some hardware to tighten the clamps around the pipes and muffler connections and the two mufflers in the muffler well. The 69 A.I.M. doesn't have much detail in it for what is needed for installation, can anyone that installed this system help me out on what hardware I need and those hanger close ups?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »
Found what I was looking for when I dug a little deeper searching here. The c-clamps aren't correct but that's not a problem. The 69 A.I.M. UPC 8 A9 has some info and UPC NC8 A1 thru A3 has the important info. Found some of the hardware on the AMK website but can't find part #9431541...need 4 ea. of that number. Those are the screws used to clamp the hangers around the pipes and I think they are sheet metal type, I could be wrong though. Maybe someone here can indicate what they are. AMK has the screws that attach the hangers to the frame rails #9411890 4 ea. and the screws that attach the upper brackets to the bottom of the floor in the muffler well #3922549 2 ea. Still need to figure out what is used to bolt the 2 chambered mufflers together yet. Probably standard nuts and bolts. At least the info is noted here in case someone else needs it.
GaryC

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 05:14:29 PM »
Gary,
You may find that those aluminized pipes are REAL thick.  The clamps are going to be struggling pretty hard to make them seal right.  I ended up having to MIG welding the joints on mine.

-Mark.

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
Gary,
You may find that those aluminized pipes are REAL thick.  The clamps are going to be struggling pretty hard to make them seal right.  I ended up having to MIG welding the joints on mine.

-Mark.

Hello Mark, it's been a while. I've been looking at whatever pics I could find on line and in forums and have seen some systems with a few small weld dabs here and there right at where the pipes slide into the other. Is this where you mean? Looks like it can be done this way in case the system has to come off for any reason. Check out this pic I found. You have to zoom in around where the clamp is and you'll see the weld bead.

If the pipe is that thick will it come apart at the junction if the clamps aren't extremely tight? I've seen the front chambers installed without any c-clamps
at all in some pics. I'm trying to find an oem system that hasn't been touched or one somebody got pics of before removing, but no luck as of today. There is only 6 c-clamps, you would think there would be 8. I'm looking at the 69 A.I.M. right now to see how this is constructed.

Another question...never installed a whole exhaust system, do you start from the back and work forward on front to back?
GaryC

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »
My suggestion:   FRONT first (connect to the manifolds), leave the clamps a bit loose, work towards the back.   Once everything is installed and in position, begin tightening the clamps, ensuring that all the pipes are in position, and not within 'touching distance' of fixed parts of the car (or you will get the rattle/buzz associated when the exhaust system touches the car body/chassis).
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Rich69s

• Two years in the making
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »
Hello , Has anyone had any experience with Stainless Works  69 SB Chambered exhaust systems ?  there is a set up for sale locally.
1969 L 48 SS Frost Green taken apart in 1979 resurrection forthcoming
1969  Yenko  Purchased 1981 with my student loan check

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
The C-clamps are correct for the over axle hanger attachment to the pipe on early cars.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 01:45:29 AM »
Anybody know what hardware is used here marked in red for the chambered exhaust hangers? Seems the part number in the 69 AIM isn't available on the AMK Fasteners site. The hanger kits are available from most any of the Camaro houses but none have complete hardware. At least this particular screw isn't offered anywhere that I can find. Anybody have a pic of one I can compare with, I may even have something in my buckets of GM hardware. I'll need 4.

GaryC

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
Anybody know what hardware is used here marked in red for the chambered exhaust hangers? Seems the part number in the 69 AIM isn't available on the AMK Fasteners site. The hanger kits are available from most any of the Camaro houses but none have complete hardware. At least this particular screw isn't offered anywhere that I can find. Anybody have a pic of one I can compare with, I may even have something in my buckets of GM hardware. I'll need 4.

Gary,
they use a large hex head sheet metal screw is the best way to describe it.  

The repro hangars are not going to fool anyone if they have seen the originals.  The best repro sets out there are just not that accurate.

I tried to tack weld the pipes after the clamps did not get the job done but they leak black liquid condensation all over the system YUK! For my 3rd try I just MIG welded the crap out of it. No leaks now - LOL!

I would start at the front and work back.  You can bolt together the 2 rear chambered sections but leave everything loose until it is all where you want it.  Use the dimensions in the AIM and watch out for rubbing on the inside of the rear tires.

-Mark.

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »

Gary,
they use a large hex head sheet metal screw is the best way to describe it. 

The repro hangars are not going to fool anyone if they have seen the originals.  The best repro sets out there are just not that accurate.

I tried to tack weld the pipes after the clamps did not get the job done but they leak black liquid condensation all over the system YUK! For my 3rd try I just MIG welded the crap out of it. No leaks now - LOL!

I would start at the front and work back.  You can bolt together the 2 rear chambered sections but leave everything loose until it is all where you want it.  Use the dimensions in the AIM and watch out for rubbing on the inside of the rear tires.

-Mark.

Hello Mark,

So it is just a sheet metal screw. I'll just take one of each bracket to the hardware store and do a fit test to get the right size. I was curious about the 2 chambers that get bolted together...best to bolt together before going under the car or after? I was thinking before and just slip on to the hangers and then start at the front and the back to hang the pipes. Something I have noticed with the chambered system is all the black leaking from the connections in the pics I found on-line and how some have little tack welds here and there at the connections. I went to look at my exhaust and the tubing is quite thick and looks like it will be a bear to tighten the clamps. I'm not so sure I want to weld it all up but I shall see what I end up with afterwards. Yeah I already have the AIM bookmarked were the dimensions are. Just need to get the hanger kit. Most all have them at around $200.00 and D & R has them for $119.00. Is there a difference?? I could ask in a separate topic but probably would get many comparison replies. What did you use Mark?

Gary
GaryC

-vellu

• Camaro 1969 (08C) Vantaa - Finland - Europe
    • View Profile
    • Camaro Club Finland
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
I have D & R Chambered Exhaust Part Number: Z00003 and Chambered Exhaust Hanger Kit 67-69 w/ Clamps  Part Number: Z00001-KIT installed.
Let me know if you want some pictures or other information. I bought them three years ago and I remember that the bolts were included, but I may remember wrong..

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
I have D & R Chambered Exhaust Part Number: Z00003 and Chambered Exhaust Hanger Kit 67-69 w/ Clamps  Part Number: Z00001-KIT installed.
Let me know if you want some pictures or other information. I bought them three years ago and I remember that the bolts were included, but I may remember wrong..

I was a little curious if the hanger kit came with hardware. All the kits I've looked at in catalogs don't say if included and I was going to call to find out but haven't yet, and what is the difference between the $199.00 kit everyone else provides and the $119.00 kit that D & R provides? Currently, I have no idea if any of my hardware is correct, so, what I want to do is order the correct hardware from AMK Fasteners and according to the 69 AIM part numbers they have all but the hanger clamp screws, those aren't available. I don't believe they are a nut and bolt operation but more a sheet metal screw type. Have seen them both ways in on-line pics. Maybe a shot of the clamp screws if you want to brave the cold will help, but not necessary unless you don't have a problem doing it.
GaryC

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
For a better illustration of parts in the AIM go to the L34 section, it has the early clamp part numbers listed along with the complete list of parts.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:56 PM »
For a better illustration of parts in the AIM go to the L34 section, it has the early clamp part numbers listed along with the complete list of parts.

Thanks James. Perfect. Page 294 and 295, UPC L35/L34, B5 and B6.
GaryC

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 01:57:24 AM »
The hangar kits are all over the place as to quality.  I actually called D&R and asked them for a "functional" Chambered Hangar reproduction and they had some odd loose Chambered Hangar pieces they sent me to complete my kit.  I still had some of the original hangar pieces under there so I just needed some bits to put it all together.  My car isn't worth buying NOS so I figured why worry about it?  I have pix of NOS hangars somewhere.