Author Topic: 67 BB engine lift hooks vs. LOS Camaros  (Read 4273 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
67 BB engine lift hooks vs. LOS Camaros
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
  I have spent a several hours researching the web and CRG archives on the subject of engine lift brackets use in 1967 especially with big blocks. I have read John Z's replies and viewed his pictures of the types of cradles used before changing to the hooks permanently installed on blocks in 1968. His articles look to be geared based on his experiences with the NOR plant. My 67 5B NOR 396 never had hooks and after reading the CRG archives I fully accept why they are not there. But it is not conclusive what was done at the LOS plant. My 67 LOS 396 I got from the original owner has the brackets on since I had the car. The below pictures shows the brackets and the years worth of dust, rodent food leftovers and grease built up on them to attest to how long they have been on the car. The car still has the original motor mounts on them (the ones that are so-called defective) and never appears to have been out of the car.
   Did LOS install these and leave them in place. as part of their process? After all LOS had a different means of body drop and nose painting compared to the NOR plant and I am wondering if the brackets left in place was a part of those differences. Any 67 LOS BB owners out there and if so do you have brackets?

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Leon in Mn.

• View Profile
Re: 67 BB engine lift hooks vs. LOS Camaros
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
I have a 67 396/325 hp. BB, and auto transmission, and do not have engine lift hooks or brackets.  I do not believe this engine has ever been out of the car.  Hope this helps you.   This is a LOS built engine. 
Heiferduster

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
 When was the car assembled?

Thanks for the reply!
Mike

Leon in Mn.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »
Sorry!  The car was assembled the third week of March, 1967.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »
 Hmmm....mine was 04B of '67. Being that by 68 NOR was leaving the brackets on because the method of hoisting the engine changed, I wonder if the LOS plant was doing it by April time frame.

Mike