Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

1968 Trans Am Series Videos Penske Racing

(1/4) > >>

Steve Shauger:
Hi Jon, I know for probably 10 plus years I've stated that I would post some Penske Trans Am footage. Well Tonight I made my first attempt. A little background first; I was fortunate enough to grow up in Newtown Sq. Pa. which was the location of the Penske race shop (they had two locations) from 1965ish to 1971. Anyway I became friends with a Penske Team member Bill Scott (Scotty). Scotty He was involved with the team from the very beginning and in fact was the chief mechanic on the Grand Sport Corvette and worked for Sun Oil at their R&D location. Bill was a mentor to me and helped me understand building engines and guided me through building my first stroked LT1(Traco did the machining). That was many years ago and he has since passed. He gave me this video and this is the first time I made it available. I will add more races and provide a DVD to Jon Mello since he has tirelessly contributed so much to the site, and kept the Trans Am Series alive. Thanks Jon....

Here's a link to the videos....

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSshauger

69Z28-RS:
Steve,

I really enjoyed seeing the actual T/A race footage, from Daytona and Sebring..  It was great.. :)

Now, unless you want me to tell them (based on info you told me)...   YOU should tell everyone what kind of car that Mark Donahue drove in his personal life.. :)

Gary

Jon Mello:
Steve, many thanks for posting the link to those videos. I really appreciate your contribution to this site and helping keep the interest in these cars and the old Trans-Am series alive.

Steve Shauger:
Hi Gary, as I mentioned to you, in 1969 while riding my bicycle on Bishop Hollow Rd (Newtown Sq.) I saw an orange with black stripe Z28 power sliding into the Sun Oil R& D facility. At the time I didn't know it was Mark, but Bill Scott confirmed to me years later that it was Donohue most likely picking up parts. When Mark passed away in Aug of 1975 it was a very devastating time, and I set a goal to find a 69 Z28 identical to the one I remember Mark driving.  It took a year (1976) but my first muscle car was a 69 Z28 hugger orange with black stripes. Fast forward to 2010 and there it was, more confirmation in this book.

69Z28-RS:
OK Bullitt.. and KurtS...   I hope both you guys read that..    Mark Donahue chose for his PERSONAL RIDE..  an orange/blackstripe/blacktop '69 Z28..
so you fellas can now join in the 'ORANGE SONG'...   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page