Author Topic: What we did during the Deep Freeze and Great Southern Blizzard of 2014  (Read 13763 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Or in other words, here's a few pics of my January bad weather project... every classic car lover needs one!
Interior restoration: dash pad, seats, seat belts, a few repairs under the dash, re-tighten headliner, new bumpers (re-chromed), and last but not least some Dynamat to make the car a little quieter and the boss lady happy.
(Steve, most of the interior stuff we glanced at briefly last Fall in Charlotte.  Hate to give up original interior, but the car is a driver and now more driveable.)
And BTW, thought you might enjoy a picture of my retirement cake.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: What we did during the Deep Freeze and Great Southern Blizzard of 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Congratulations!!!   :)     I've been retired for a few months now (I call it semi retired.. :) .. but I just updated my Linked In account to reflect that face this week.  I got congratulated on my 'new job'.. :)    Retirement is sorta like getting out of the military; something to look forward to and count down!~  :)     My wife and I are going to dinner tonight with a friend (who worked his last day today) and his wife...  so retirements seem to be the 'thing' nowadays..

PS.  I like what you're doing to your Camaro..  it's looking good, and will look even better this Spring.   I assume we can see it at the Lowes Speedway spring event? :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:58 PM »
 I still have a few years to go before retiring. I wish I had a garage that large to work in!

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:23:16 PM »
Gary,
Congrats, right back at you!
Yes, retirement (if you can afford it) is the "in-thing" nowadays.  A good friend who retired last year told me you spend more money in your first year of retirement than any year of your life.  I'm definitely finding that to be true!
Thanks for the compliment on the car.  I got tired of riding around with the car seat and my seat sprung....
Yes, it will be at Charlotte (Lowes is out. Maybe if Steve's wife could print us about a million shirts, we could make it CRG Speedway!?!) Motor Speedway this Spring. Hope to see you (and yes, my offer still stands).
Right after the retirement party, our exec. director with HNR (the guys in the yellow hats) asked me to be meet chair for the AACA Spring Meet (Not as big a deal as it sounds, the chief judge does the real work.)  I had the right to remain silent but not the good sense. (I'm going to start a thread when I have more information about that later.)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »
I still have a few years to go before retiring. I wish I had a garage that large to work in!

Mike
Mike, all you need is a good 401k and know someone with a big garage... That's the back garage at Klassic Rides Restoration.  They have three of them... Here's the only pic I took that shows most of the room...

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »
Phillip, congratulations on the retirement.  I've found that I am busier now than before retirement.  "Requests" for assistance from just the family to help them out with things quadrupled!  HR people would always say, before you decide to retire just make sure you will have things to do........not a problem in my case.  I can tell you I would welcome some down time.    :D

As for replacing original parts I always like to try and fix/repair them than replace but I can understand installing new things when parts are just too far gone.  Especially when the repair looks worse than it did before.   :)

CRG speedway.......I like it!  Has a great sound to it

Now that you are the meet chair I know that we will be attending the best spring and fall shows yet!  No pressure there......right?  Hey, with the new position it won't keep you from wearing your CRG shirt will it?

Steve

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:10:56 AM »
Steve,
If I ever sell it, all the junk will be in the trunk.  I'm with you on originality.  After all, that's the restoration formula: authenticity and condition equals originality.

Okay, the way I figure, if everyone registered for the forum sold 30 shirts at four times the cost, then we could get a sign out front for one day of the Autofair.  But I'm not volunteering to be there when you tell your lovely and gracious wife that we need 135,000 shirts asap....  :o

Hey, no pressure!  ::) I'm only the "front man" at the meet.  ;) There will be around 250 people nationwide and 450 in the greater Charlotte area making it a great meet....  ;D

Phillip

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:45:22 AM »

Mike

What's that gray stuff the car is sitting on? I haven't seen that in my shop for a long,long time,lol.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »

Mike

What's that gray stuff the car is sitting on? I haven't seen that in my shop for a long,long time,lol.

...That's the way they came from the factory....  ;)

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 03:49:24 AM »

Mike

Huh! I was talking about the FLOOR!
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »
Here's what WE did last week (snowiest month in metro Detroit history since they started keeping records) - shot these yesterday morning.   :o
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
Lot of work there John, get out the heating pad for the back. Lovely place though and picturesque. I am afraid I am not that ambitious. I just looked out the window and counted cardinals. :D

1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »
   So much for global warming....or is the PC word now 'climate change'  ;)
I have never seen so many cardinals in one place in all my life, outside the baseball team that is.
We have only 1 pair that live by me. We have plenty of Canadian Geese and deer whoever.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
   So much for global warming....or is the PC word now 'climate change'  ;)
I have never seen so many cardinals in one place in all my life, outside the baseball team that is.
We have only 1 pair that live by me. We have plenty of Canadian Geese and deer whoever.
I agree on the quantity of cardinals..  I'm thinking they are being attracted to Ko-lec-tor's yellow camaro?   oK.. maybe the feeder has something to do with it as well..  :)

PS. 'global warming' is the 'political speak' for the loss of the insulation layer around the earth, which, if it's really happening, will allow more extreme temperatures on both ends of the spectrum, both HOT and COLD.. (and i agree we have had the coldest winter in many many years here in north Alabama..).
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »

Mike

Huh! I was talking about the FLOOR!
So, am I... when you picked them up, they were sitting on the floor (or on the road).  ::)
I do get it... apparently your wife does not walk out in the garage very often....  ;D