Author Topic: photos of my 69 build,  (Read 38665 times)

KERR

• View Profile
photos of my 69 build,
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »
Ok,  I cant find the correct place for builds,   Mods feel free to move..  

Quick recap,  i was sold a " rust free" car thats wasnt rust free...  Here is what i have now,  

then we wet sanded it becuse that paint was nasty.

end result was it looked better than before,   i rode the car about a month and the fuel pump,  got that fixed and got cought in the rain...  once in the rain i relised that we have a problem.   water everywhere..  

So i took the vinyl roof off and it rusted,   but someone at some point did a half butt job and fiberglasses parts to the metal to fix...    from there i decided to just stip the entire car and see what all else has been done wrong.

quarter pannel,   i cut the bondo out..

Roof to windshild.

the entire car was covered in this gray stuff,  i thought it was bondo but this is over top of the bondo

KERR

• View Profile
Re: photos of my 69 build,
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
Some chunks of the bondo that came off with the scraper.

hard to see but that the door,  see how there are three different colors of filler or soemthing going on.

So i scraped all that off and there was nothing under it,  which was od,  moved on to the next pannel and Bam,  it has plate rivited on to it,  so to make the car look straight they just filled the doors full of mud.

so from the looks of it i need pretty much the passanger side.

Moved back to roof to see how bad it really was and well im screwed...   I busted the fiber glass to see what was under it and well there is much left.

So thats where i am as of now,  i started on the drivers side and it look like it will also need 1/4s and front fender...

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Kerr,
Remembered when you first posted with pics. I applaud your desire to dig under the surface and expose the butchery and make it right. I will lend moral support. Enjoy seeing your progress and with your son, that is precious. I do have a question though, In your last pic, how do you keep your fingers and finger nails sooo clean? lol, Mine have been permanently stained with dirty broken nails since I owned my Camaros.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:13:27 PM »
Rubber glove ;)    I cought a nuckel on one of those rivit? things that holds the vinyl roof on,   after i got some gloves ;)

they are thin, but have the rubber coating on the bottom.  I always just buy the cheap one becuse once i take something off i can never find it again between the kids and dogs..   
I tried this pair and they are good for big job but if you really need your fingers to work they dont well.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_67271-94953-LW37120/L5P_0__?productId=3516488&Ntt=gloves&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgloves&facetInfo=

Now yesterday i got a pack of them for like $4.00  but they are not chemical stuff,   i had to put a gate up someone kicked in,   rusted screws are not my friend ;)

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »
Whats the plan?  Are you going to break out the MIG and re-do it?  It looks pretty bad.  Been there-done that. 

-Mark.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »
Maybe, your car was "that" Camaro they found in a lake, last summer, in Oklahoma,lol. Sometimes when we uncover all the damage in our project, it makes us wonder what kind of life our car has had and where it has been? I'll add, not dissing your car or anything like that, but feeling better about my car and what I am up against after looking at yours. I have a long way to go though.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
I'm not a body guy, but wouldn't it have been easier to reskin that roof rather than spend all that effort with the fiberglass?
68Z28

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
well to be honest i dont know..

i have some friends that do body stuff,  of course everything is fixable as they say.     Im sorta thinking new 1/4 that are the full length,  new roof skin, and what ever is needed under the skin...   Im about as far as i can go considering i know nothing about stuff..  looks like front fends are about 250-300,  so im this far in might as well get those as well.   to be honest it looks like i have two good doors and a hood. :(..    the fire wall looks good on the out side, but knows once its all taken apart. 

I dont plan on ever putting the car up for sale, so i guess fix it correctly is my only option.   I just wish i had known i would have passed and bought a "rough" car...

the original game plan was a copo cloned look,   black wheels black body no options...  then a big big motor,  like 632 or something...  but now that im going to have to cough up this money for new parts, and labor and paint,  that will be a long time down the road,   other thought was th400 on the column and my old turbo big block thats fuel injected..

Right now i just try not to puke when i see it     

68ashgoldRS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
Great opportunity to get some father/son time!  Had my 78 year old father over last night adjusting gaps on my fenders/doors...  no other hobby/project in my experience has left me with better memories than that time with my dad.  I wish you and your son the same gratification of accomplishing a resto together.  My father bought my brother and i and old '31 Ford Coupe when I was about 12 years old, it kept us busy and out of trouble for alot of years!  Best of luck!  Ed
Ed Denney from South Jordan Utah

1968 Camaro RS/SS -Restored
1959 Chevrolet Corvette Restomod-Project in progress
1956 Dodge D100 Pickup -Project
1936 US Soldier, Dad -Best Friend

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
I'm not a body guy, but wouldn't it have been easier to reskin that roof rather than spend all that effort with the fiberglass?

That's exactly what I was thinking...
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
I agree with previous posts ,sheet metal to "do it right " $$$ >:(   Time spent with your son ( and lessons learned together ) priceless ! ;D

Word of advice: Before doing one more thing ,sit down ,draw up a plan of attack with short term goals to accomplish 1 specific long term goal based on your budget. ex: want the car in primer year one: price all sheet metal + labor/favors. Start gathering your parts , got them all ? Contact your buddy ,see what he want's you and your son to tackle ,set a date to start on the body.

year 2: interior ,glass ,misc

year 3: engine/driveline

Obviously time line increases/decreases based on budget. Take your time and enjoy the build ,do it right once ,and your boy should have a cool car to take a date out in :o ( grades permit!)--steve.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
man that is nasty! I can think of no better motivation to do it the right way the first time then when I see pics of a guys work that looks like that.
KERR that car will be cherry when your done with it, and you will know it inside and out.
That car will end up being a blessing to you and your son:
Hopefully it will educate you and your son on how to buy a clean car and spot rot, or shaky body work, and you will both will know how much time and money it takes for the next project.

I applaud you for taking on this adventure!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
If you are paying someone be prepared to fork over a lot of cash. With zero experience and no shop you can learn to do it yourself; that's if the car is even worth saving. Some say they all are but that depends on the individual. GM assembly line take offs are the sheetmetal parts you want, even if they need work. Late stamped NOS are not plug and play. If you are going to proceed, gut the whole car. No need to strip that garbage off the panels. It all gets bulk dropped before media blasting the body. Then you'll find out if what's left can be carried in a suitcase.

Azure1969Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »
Not cool. That thing is trashed. Ouch

1slow64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
did you buy this from a private seller or a dealer? I would like to know who it was so another person won't make a costly mistake.....
69 X66 RALLY GREEN BLACK COMFORT WEAVE