Author Topic: Who would be interested in buying a replacement passenger seat cable?  (Read 26023 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a big enough need out there for replacement passenger seat cables.  These are the small cables that keep the seatback from hitting the dash when tilting it forward.  

In order to make these, I would have to have the items custom made and bulk ordered through my company.  These seat cables would be aircraft cable, coated in a similar grey color coating.  The color would not be exact, but as close as I can get with the material colors offered.  I can have them in either all black, for 67 and 68, or grey for 69.

I certainly don't want to go through the expense and trouble of all this if not enough people show an interest, but will gladly do it iif I can at least cover my initial costs.

If enough people tell me they would be interested in these, I could probably have these made and sold for about $15 each, more or less, depending again, on how many people would buy them.

Here is a photo of the prototype.  The holes in this one are slightly larger than OE, but my supplier said if I order a large enough quantity, he will make the holes in the ends the exact size we want.

So, let me know.  If I get enough of you guys to tell me you are interested, I will go ahead and do it.

Steve

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Who would be interested in buying a replacement passenger seat cable?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:22:34 AM »
I'm in.  There was a thread about this a while ago and it seemed a lot of people would like to get them.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8970.0
68Z28

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:52:17 AM »
I would be interested.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:03:52 AM »
Steve, I would be in for two in grey if the holes are correct. Other than that they look really close. George

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:40:12 AM »
I see no evidence that my original seats in my late '69 production car ever had them.. ie. no holes in the seat covering for the pivot pin.   Were these cables only used in cars that had no headrest perhaps?   This would explain the rarity of these cables...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »
I see no evidence that my original seats in my late '69 production car ever had them.. ie. no holes in the seat covering for the pivot pin.
They were only fitted to the passenger side bucket seat, but feature in the Fisher Body Manual (see Fig. 15-47) for all 'F' and 'Z' body styles, with bucket seats. Can you be sure it's the original seat cover? Cables snapped over time and were junked, hence why they're not often seen nowadays.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
Count me in for two black cables.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
Okay, it looks like the cables will be a go. 

Is there anyone out there that has the washer for the cable that can lend it to me to get that reproduced as well?

I need it for about a month to get the die made and get these redone.  If you can loan me your washer, I will send it back to you, unharmed, along with a cable (your color choice) and a brand new washer as well. 

If you can help with this, email me and we can make the arrangments.

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

67rs/ss350 68z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
 I have a original seat cable and washer, that you could use.  Email sent    Let me know Thanks Dave

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »
I'd be in for 2 gray cables (assuming of course that you'd be happy to post the to Australia at my cost?).
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
Steve, are the two ends offset in the repro one you have?
68Z28

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
Was one used per car and attached to the left side (tunnel side) of the passenger seat? I don't see one in my pics on the drivers seat.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 06:42:51 PM »
Not needed on driver's side as the seat hit the steering wheel so only the passenger side had one.
68Z28

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
Count me in for a 69 variant.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
Well, after tons of research, phone calls, samples, and some engineering of my own, I have been able to order and customize components to make what I feel, are almost perfect reproductions of the passenger seat cable.  The size, length, thickness, and eyelets are exact.  The only thing not exact is a slight difference in the shading of grey, which may be from age.  I have also found correct shoulder bolts as well, in case anyone needs these too.  I am still working on the washer, and have something in the works where I may be able to get them made in the next few months.  I have made the cables in both grey and black.  I guarantee each to be exact and as strong as the factory GM cables.  If the cable breaks, I will replace it for free. 

I am hoping that $9 for a seat cable is considered fair, as I am simply trying to cover my costs.  If you need a pair of shoulder bolts as well, they would be an add'l $5.  Shipping is $3. 

If you are interested, please email me and let me know what you need.  You can send me payment through snail mail, or paypal is fine if that is easier. 

Thanks guys,

Steve
dekar@bellsouth.net