Author Topic: Windshield / Rear Window retainer clips or straps  (Read 6470 times)

Robski

• View Profile
Windshield / Rear Window retainer clips or straps
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »
Greetings

I am new to the Forum and I hope this is not a dumb question. Been wondering about this for some time.

I have noticed that some of the Cars have windshield retainer clips or straps in certain race photographs.

When were they required and were they "off the shelf" or custom made?  Also, does anyone have close up photos of typical installations?

Best Regards
Rob

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Windshield / Rear Window retainer clips or straps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:23:50 AM »
Rob, I'll leave the experts to answer for sure, but I recall being told that the straps prevented body flex under heavy torque from literally popping the glass out of the body.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:20:33 AM »
Primarily, the clips were to prevent the front and rear windows from "popping out/off" of the car. As you said Rob; retainer clips. They were available from speed shops, but I'm sure most were hand made, as our shop did. As for when they were required, that's a good question....I don't remember when they weren't.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:00:36 AM »
The windshield and rear window retainer straps became mandatory for the 1970 season. Before that they were authorized and recommended but were not mandatory.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7850.0
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:14:15 AM »
I too was always perplexed by this as well, thank you very much Rob for asking the question.
Nick

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:55:22 AM »
Rob, I'll leave the experts to answer for sure, but I recall being told that the straps prevented body flex under heavy torque from literally popping the glass out of the body.
I guess that a build-up of air pressure at speed (assuming at least the driver's window was down) could also tend to blow the rear window out, as well as the body flexing due to torque?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
When were they required and were they "off the shelf" or custom made?  Also, does anyone have close up photos of typical installations?

These were all custom made by each competitor. I looked for some close up pictures of typical installations but could not find anything suitable.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »
I guess that a build-up of air pressure at speed (assuming at least the driver's window was down) could also tend to blow the rear window out, as well as the body flexing due to torque?

Early on, the driver's door glass (as a minimum) had to be down during the race. Later, all side glass could be removed.  I guess wind pressure could have something to do with requiring the straps on the rear glass and maybe to help retention in an accident as well. The front clips would seem to have less to do with wind pressure and more to do with glass retention during an accident or spin-out.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
The Shelby GT350-R's had a unique short rear window. I don't think is was as much about air pressure as it was about reducing drag.