Author Topic: who do you all get body parts from?  (Read 20705 times)

KERR

• View Profile
who do you all get body parts from?
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »
Well i got the bright idea to take that vinyletop off...  that was a bad idea. 

Apparently it has had work done in the past,  and then top put on to cover up the work...   

Around the windshild it looks like they tried to remold the roof with fibergalss or something, anyway i can stick my fingers threw the holes in the front where the windshild strim should be.    the top skin is in good shape and i guess i got down down to the original blue,  its very light almost silverish color..    the "B" pillers? that come down behind the rear windows are in good shape on the passanger side but the drivers side looks like it has 3 bullet holes in it..    they are not round holes and they puncher holes.. 

So i guess im going to do a roof skin,   after i got started i decided to go one down with taking stuff off.   It looks like it has had a 1/4 pannel put on it but its in a strange spot to be installed i think.   Its about dead center on the top (flat spot) of the 1/4.   

I guess at this point ill just strip all of it to make sure i dont need any other stuff.

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: who do you all get body parts from?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »
  The only reproduction body panel part I used recently during the re-restoration of my 67 ragtop was a left side door skin from AMD. I was very surprised how well it fit and it had very good belt and feature line alignments and needed only a small tweak around a curved edge. Then again, I have NOS GM parts I bought from Chevy in the '80's and they needed tweaks too. If I were to get other replacement panels I would use AMD again.

Just my experience.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
Bob out of New York has NOS sheet metal but heard it costs--however have to factor in the time($$$) on getting the new stuff right. Sorry ,forgot the name of his shop, someone should be able to quickly chime in--good luck.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
Camaro Specialties
112 Elm Street, East Aurora, NY 14052. 716-652-7086
DIS 7064389 Thank you for Choosing Camaro Specialties
 Bob and Cheryl Harris

there you go---maybe I'll get a break on some 4 piston calipers !

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
sounds good..   i knew some one here has bought stuff.. 

I did a quick google search last night and pulling up all sorts of stuff.  Most seem to cheap so i didnt even click on the links,  stuff like $160 for a roof skin,   that just doesnt seem possiable to me.

As for the rest of the car.  If it was yours and you where in no hurry to get the body work done,  and it sets inside..  would try to strip it down to metal or just leave it alone..     The pannels are straight, too straight to be honest with you which has me worried.   I dont want to spend a lot of money then a few years later have stuff show up under the new paint.. 

If you where strip it,  what do you use.   A friend of mine said to get the 3M brisel? disk. 

Im not worried about the metal rusting in the garage,  but i could also plastic dip it clear for a hunderd bucks until all the work is done then just rip it off before its painted. 

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
I'm not a body man, and luckily my car needed no work, just stripped and shot so I wasn't in the market for sheet metal. That being said my car is currently in primer ready for paint at the heated shop. My guy wanted to wait until spring to lay paint. I agreed no use transporting it home in this foul N/E Ohio winter. I think if you are picking away at it as money allows, really no problem as long as you protect the metal. Can always shoot it with  primer to protect your body work for now. Just do not simply cover it up and store it out doors. My opinion, others more knowledgeable than me should chime in. As far as primer we used  high end--anything is only as good as it's foundation.

1slow64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »
AMD
69 X66 RALLY GREEN BLACK COMFORT WEAVE

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 04:50:46 AM »
  Beware Goodmark stuff. I had to replace both doors and fenders, and their products didn't even match each other as far as contour lines and door-to-fender gaps. It's been said many times before but it's worth saying again: if you can find NOS parts, get them. They'll be pricey, but the headaches saved versus aftermarket crap will be worth it. And it's not just body parts--half of the stuff out there advertised as exact reproduction isn't anywhere near exact. For example, the "exact reproduction" '68 heater controls have lettering that isn't even close to factory. Some SS gas caps won't twist on with the SS level. If you can find it and afford it, get NOS.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
Repro and NOS sheetmetal is a complex topic with many variables. I've rejected Goodmark panels supplied with a job. Late stamped NOS fenders will need work to be acceptable. The dies are worn, edges are too rounded and they have ripples. So after you plunk down top dollar for them add more to the T&M pile. Most NOS sellers are clueless about bodywork so they don't know the panels are not great. AMD panels are good but they have shortcomings too. Panel quality varies by year. A positive report on a particular panel does not mean the entire run is good. A CHL roofskin went on with only a minor mod required to an A-pillar. Roofskin supplied by Classic Industries and manufacterer unknown needed mods to all corners. Decklids run narrow, not all tailpanels are stamped right. That's just for starters.

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
grate!  sounds like this will be a lot of fun ;)   I guess the good news is the parts have to be better than fiberglass parts.

I know for sure i need a roof skin, but other than that im not sure what will be needed..  I didnt get any time yesterday to do anything  with work then 3 hours of basket ball practice with the kids, food, home works and showers i was beat...  and what is that causes kids not to get the point of being clean!! 

once you all get everything to fit what product did you use before primer.   When we did my supra wide body i think they use fuser? for something...  it might have been to bond the fiber glass to metal...  I just remember it was some expensive stuff sorta like bondo but did a lot more...

Ill look up that AMD place on line,   

Ill try to get some photos of the stuff for your opinions...

67rs327

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »
Suggestion: beware of product pictures when ordering. I had a terrible time with Ground Up and trunk panels. Took me 2 weeks after I got the order to get them to admit the pics did not match the product because they had changed vendors.  Started calling around and found similar situations when describing what I was looking for. Solution when feasible was to request someone go into the stock room and actually LOOK at the part. A couple places were willing to do this - prevented more headaches.
1967rs L30/M20 Bolero Red - LOS 11A.
Chris - New Hampshire.

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
good info 67rs,

I made some progress last night,  ill get some photos,  the car besides the roof seems to be in good shape but im worried about the roof..    Also who ever did the 1/4 pannels at some point in its life did the strange..  or at least i havent seen them done like this,  i might have to end up doing new 1/4's  im no body guy so i dont know to be honest..   

the 1/4 pannel looks like this one,

http://www.classicdiscountparts.com/products/1969-Camaro-Quarter-Panel-Skin-RH.html

but by the time you cover up the difference it makes for a lot of filler,  im not sure they did it wrong or what..  I guess ill ask a friend that does body work..

At any rate,  i have half a blue camaro and half a delorian at the current time ;)   Door and front fender look good but also had a lot of bondo and then some gray stuff,  its like puddy when warm,  sorta same color as concreet,   what i dont understadn is that ive removed the bondo and there is nothing under it.   I guess the door shell its self had a dent or something?   the front part of the door where it close to the front fender was real think,  about two credit cars worth in spots but nothing under it..     

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:56 PM »
Did you get a price on the NOS sheet metal ?

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
No i havent called anyone yet,  im still stripping the car, and my list keeps growing..

you all can just call me tom hanks like in the movie money pit :(

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »

there you go---maybe I'll get a break on some 4 piston calipers !

I think I have a spare one or a set.
68Z28