Author Topic: If Anyone is Interested in a 67 Pace Car  (Read 22701 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
If Anyone is Interested in a 67 Pace Car
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: If Anyone is Interested in a 67 Pace Car
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:18:07 AM »
VIN:  124677N201823

Paul

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
What a deal?
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
What a deal?

Maybe it's owned by a 'country music star'??  :)    adds 2X value you know.. :)
Alan Jackson is a possibility, as he owns many nice classic cars.. used to bring them to our car shows.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »
Not sure who owns it.  Just cruising craigslist and found it and thought I would pass it along for data and/or interest.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
It's Tom Huber's car, and was extensively restored with all GM parts allegedly.  It is a lot of money, maybe more than the market will bear certainly in a Craigslist ad anyway.  The only way to get that much green out of it is at a high end auction like a Mecum event, but I don't think the market is there either.  Not just for this car, but for anything that isn't a COPO (and even those are not really pulling this kind of dollars anymore), or something special.  I think getting 6 figures for anything that isn't a COPO is going to be tough, and getting anything over 150K would require something like a ZL1, old known drag car or really high end L72's.  I know i would like to see the market for the first gens to come back to what it was 6 years ago, but it's not back and most likely won't come back as the buyer base is moving one, and the younger buyers just don't care about these cars as much.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
It's Tom Huber's car, and was extensively restored with all GM parts allegedly.  It is a lot of money, maybe more than the market will bear certainly in a Craigslist ad anyway.  The only way to get that much green out of it is at a high end auction like a Mecum event, but I don't think the market is there either.  Not just for this car, but for anything that isn't a COPO (and even those are not really pulling this kind of dollars anymore), or something special.  I think getting 6 figures for anything that isn't a COPO is going to be tough, and getting anything over 150K would require something like a ZL1, old known drag car or really high end L72's.  I know i would like to see the market for the first gens to come back to what it was 6 years ago, but it's not back and most likely won't come back as the buyer base is moving one, and the younger buyers just don't care about these cars as much.

I hear often that younger guys don't like our cars. I guess "younger" needs to be qualified. I agree the early twenty's don't seem to have interest but the late 20's to our ages do have interest. I see them at car shows, I see them writing in to the mags, they come up to me and ask questions at the gas stations while I am in the cars. Part of the problem for these "kids" is that it is hard for them to afford these cars. You can't get a normal car loan for  these toys, these kids usually don't have fat equity lines. So barriers of entry are high. I do agree that the enthusiasum isn't what it was in the late 60's and 70's but agin it is hard to buy these ole girls if you are not writing a check. Just my 50 year old .02 worth.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »
These are not the cars the "younger crowd" grew up with so they don't have the want or need for them the way we did, or do.  I'm 55, and my high school car was a 68 Camaro, it was only 6 years old when i got it (from a bone yard) and theres been a Camaro of one kind or the other in the yard or driveway since then.  People tend to stick with the cars of their youth when they are having that mid life crisis or just want to relive the old times and these cars are getting further away from the people who have the spare cash laying around to buy them.  Thats not going to change.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 04:13:50 AM »
These are not the cars the "younger crowd" grew up with so they don't have the want or need for them the way we did, or do.  I'm 55, and my high school car was a 68 Camaro, it was only 6 years old when i got it (from a bone yard) and theres been a Camaro of one kind or the other in the yard or driveway since then.  People tend to stick with the cars of their youth when they are having that mid life crisis or just want to relive the old times and these cars are getting further away from the people who have the spare cash laying around to buy them.  Thats not going to change.

That's true..  but my daughters, sons in law, and even young grandkids.. when asked which of my cars they want ..  always pick the Camaro..  :)    Maybe it's the Hugger Orange that draws them?   (*Of course, they are *assuming* they would inherit it, not pay for it.. )   :)     and that goes back to the cost issue as pointed out by sixt9x33rs...  Even my 9 yr old granddaughter likes it, wants it, and always wants to help work on it..  :)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 04:26:23 AM »
its NOT the hugger orange !!!

j/k
Man with your collection each of your relatives could pick 2 ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »
the 60 Vette, hands down would be my pick---I'm only 47 and looking to buy in the near future not sell so not really complaining if the bottom drops ;D  And my Z , when I'm done playing with it, is going to my son. Many summers down the road.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »
its NOT the hugger orange !!!

It´s ALWAYS the hugger orange, dude! ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
In 2001 I built up a supercharged 1.6L  "B" series 1995 Honda and did a F+F car.   Still have the car today... the modifications are tasteful and the car has 54,000 Miles on it and for a 4 cylinder it is pretty fast    The Honda still attracts everybody from the 35 year old down to the 16 year kids when displayed.    When parked alone it gets all the attention, however when the Honda is displayed alongside any of the first or second Generation Camaro's I have things change as the focus turns to the Camaro, so I ask "which do you like better-the Honda or the Camaro?"

It is always the Camaro - each and every time. 

They always say "I cannot afford the Camaro".    Why is that I ask?    The answer is usually along these lines:  "You old guys still fight over these cars and we are priced out of the market..I cannot afford a Camaro that is not a 1975-1977 but I still want a good one.

The follow up is the kicker...I ask what are you going to do about it.... the reply is "get a better job and wait you guys out - we will get your cars eventually". 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
IMO... Camaros, and other such cars from the sixties, and even the mid-fifties Chevys etc, will always be in demand, as long as we can still obtain the necessary items (fuel? laws?) etc.. to drive them.  I've always been a bit worried by having so many old cars that are reliant on proper fuel to drive; in fact, I parked my Camaro in 1980 because of insufficient octane fuel to run my 12:1 engine...
PS>  The fifties and sixties, into the early 70's, were the 'golden age' as far as automobile design was concerned... :)..     I suppose I should rewrite that to 'modern or common golden age', given the beauty of some of the Art Deco 30's designs.. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:39:35 PM by 69Z28-RS »

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
They always say "I cannot afford the Camaro".    Why is that I ask?    The answer is usually along these lines:  "You old guys still fight over these cars and we are priced out of the market..I cannot afford a Camaro that is not a 1975-1977 but I still want a good one.

The follow up is the kicker...I ask what are you going to do about it.... the reply is "get a better job and wait you guys out - we will get your cars eventually". 
Here my take since I may not fit into the target of the "old guys" crowd yet.
I think "the old guys" may compete more for the numbers type of cars (i know I do). There are a ton of affordable first gen Camaros out there still, as well as mustangs, and most other base cars.

The issue isn't price as much as it is nostalgia, and wanting it bad enough vs. being content with an import or newer car:
I have always been around older stuff, my mom and aunt always dragged my sister and I to antique stores when we were young, my mom drove a 67 Austin Healy 3000 (which she still has) my dad drove a Volkswagen bus. My mom bought her car 6 months used my dad bought his 71 bus new, but I was born quite a ways after that, we never actually had a "new" car. In fact my parents drove both those cars as their daily drivers well into the 1990's, and still have them today. (It was safe to say we were on the bottom rung of the middle class  :D  )I had hand me down hot wheels and the old style metal tootsie toys as a kid, and very once in a while I would get a nice 1/18th scale or smaller nice adult collector car for a birthday or Christmas.  By the time I was about 14 and asked what I wanted I had no clue, and this perplexed me at the time, because the thought had never crossed my mind. So I looked at all my cars and decided on the 1962 Ferrari GTO. An awesome, beautiful car, and still one of my absolute favorites, BUT at 14 I had snuck into a concors de elegance, saw them on the lawn and then realized oh well theres no way thats going to work out. So what is the next best closest thing, I thought well maybe I could get a ..... wait for it......Fiero! thats right a pontiac fiero was the closest thing that looked like the Ferrari to me. But the more i looked at the fiero, (and it was on its way out at that time) the guys who drove them were posers, so I didn't want to associate with fags. I was with my mom one day when she asked again, I said I don't know maybe something older, and then I heard a car pass us, it sounded good even in stock form and I asked my mom what kind of car it was. She said "oh thats a Mustang, there good cars". (it was a 65 coupe with a 289) Well when I thought about it a moment, I asked how much were they, and said said she didn't think that they were all that expensive. So even though I could have saved up for a 80's Camaro, Fiero, but they didn't have the timeless class of a "classic car" (thats we called them then, not muscle cars). So I saved up money cutting lawns working at safeway and in the summers doing construction with my uncle and bought a project 65 mustang fastback. Through cleaning that car up, and then maintaining through high school I learned the hard way, and with the other car guys in high school in metal shop and auto shop we rebuilt transmissions and pulled motors, did drum brakes. I got a sense it was all very similar to the legos I had, and if you followed a plan of putting stuff together, it looked nice and functioned when you were done.
Once i had one car, then I thought the next best thing was 2 and 3 and 4 cars, and before long I had a 55 chevy 2 door post, a 66 Chevelle SS, and then I bought another. Life was good. It was the great times I had in high school with other guys that had a  Chevelle, bug, and el camino, and doing the burn outs, and street racing/ sears point 1/4 mile drags on grudge night.

My point is I was around the cars. There was only me and like 5 other guys that had classic cars in high school. None of our cars was the HiPo version or SS. my mustang was a V8 the Chevelle my friend had was just a Malibu, and the el caminos were just plain jain el caminos. (the SS chevelles I had right after high school & I had one rich friend who's dad splurged and got him the 69 Z/28 when he wanted just a 69 350 car). All the cars we had in high school are not a whole lot more today, but our auto shop and metal shop got turned into a dance studio a few years after I graduated, and less and less guys drove older cars after I graduated. So to me the guys that see the Finished first gen camaros now like them but do not have the memories of a friend having one, and have no clue how to wrench on them,  let alone the beauty/simplicity of the small block chevy.
So this younger generation will wait until they have some money to buy a finished one when their older that they most likely will not know how to work on.
The only salvation right now is the kids of classic car owners who have a interest and the parents put a wrench or bond in their hand, OR the rat rod group has injected some new blood into the hobby lately.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything