CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 07:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
102446 Posts in 12090 Topics by 4668 Members
Latest Member: Carbuff
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Decoding/Numbers
| | |-+  69 Muncie Transmission tag (pn?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: 69 Muncie Transmission tag (pn?)  (Read 1291 times)
z28z11

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »

Based on bcmiller's post below, were different PN's used on Muncies based on the *rear end ratio*??  Why would they do that??
(I'm trying to learn my 'Camaro new information for the day'...  Smiley

Because each different rear end ratio required a different plastic (I think) gear to make the speedometer read correctly.

Actually, the plastic DRIVEN gear was installed at the car assembly plant. What changed was the internal steel DRIVE gear that was pressed on the output shaft at Muncie;

Actually not pressed on, the gear slips over the tail end of the mainshaft and is secured by a spring steel clip. How do I know ? My '69 Z M20 clip broke, lodged in the reverse gear, and jammed the transmission. I made it to the station I worked at, pulled the trans and found the problem. New clip and back in business. Earlier Muncies pressed on -  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:15:22 PM by z28z11 » Logged

1968 Z28 BRG/W
1969 Z28 X77 LeMans/W
1969 X66 L78 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »

Based on bcmiller's post below, were different PN's used on Muncies based on the *rear end ratio*??  Why would they do that??
(I'm trying to learn my 'Camaro new information for the day'...  Smiley

Because each different rear end ratio required a different plastic (I think) gear to make the speedometer read correctly.

Actually, the plastic DRIVEN gear was installed at the car assembly plant. What changed was the internal steel DRIVE gear that was pressed on the output shaft at Muncie;

Actually not pressed on, the gear slips over the tail end of the mainshaft and is secured by a spring steel clip. How do I know ? My '69 Z M20 clip broke, lodged in the reverse gear, and jammed the transmission. I made it to the station I worked at, pulled the trans and found the problem. New clip and back in business. Earlier Muncies pressed on - 

Yup - the nylon DRIVE gear and spring steel retainer started in '68.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: